Somebody please convince me to NOT buy an Axe FX with my tax return.

All signs point to me upgrading from a GSP1101 to a brand new Axe FX II XL+ when I get my tax return. Can anybody convince me to NOT buy the Axe FX?

Don't do it! Give me your money instead, I will be happier that way. Seriously though, really??? In my opinion, its a no brainer. DO IT!!!

I have had some form of AXE-FX since 2010, I have used it in churches and bars, I am one happy camper. To me that is the base set. it's like using your most used wrench in your tool box. It is the one thing that you will rely on constantly. I have an XL and an AX8. Both indispensable, for what I do. You will be amazed at what tones you can get out of the thing. You will not want for much else.

Have I convinced you yet...;-)

Don't buy one when you've already got a GSP1101 that would just be madness.

Buy me one instead .... I've only got an AxeFXII Mk1 and it's easier for someone who already knows how to edit and all those other tiresome fiddly things to handle an upgrade rather than you having to learn all that stuff from scratch .....and the important thing to remember is that a tax rebate is just money you never knew you had so you'd not miss it.

I hope your tax return will also cover all the other stuff you need to take full advantage of it.

You guys are doing a terrible job at this :p

Just the addition of scenes, XY switching, and more than one amp at a time will be a huge upgrade from sending several CCs from the DAW or Ground Control Pro. MIDI PC mapping is a bonus. Having more than 8 assignable CCs per preset is a huge step up. Auto-engage for the wah is simpler than setting a CC value threshold to engage the wah. Assignable FX blocks rather than dedicated comp, OD, amp, cab, etc will be a huge upgrade. The cab models on the GSP suck, and I have a Mac so I can't use the Windows-only IR loader. I've read the owner's manual, the scenes mini manual, watched a bazillion tutorials online... The only thing that has been holding me back is the money. Tax return time is coming.....

I hope your tax return will also cover all the other stuff you need to take full advantage of it.
if you can afford a guitar, you can afford a case. If you can afford a modeling amp, you can afford a foot controller. Is that the kind of stuff you're getting at?

I have a GSP 1101, and used it in a cover band for about 6 months. It was "ok". It definitely sounds solid state: Super compressed, a little flat, processed. I tried to use it in place of my MarkV and pedal board, but I just never could get it anywhere close, so I bought an XL back in 2014.

I still have the 1101 (collecting dust) and I still have the Mark V (also collecting dust). The Axe is SO MANY LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Digitech it's not even a discussion. Oh wait... talk you OUT of it.... right...

Uh.... hold on.. I'm thinking....

Your wife will not understand. She will be pissed.... if you are married. Unless she likes guitar music... then she will dig it.
You will set back your retirement savings.... you should put that money away and forget you have it...so you can pay taxes on it and maybe never see it if the market tanks or whatever.
You... ah hell. I got nothing. Just buy it.

If you are a serious player, and you REALLY care about your tone... then this thing is the holy grail.

With this in mind:
If you are impatient, have trouble learning new gear (this thing has a LOT going on inside), or don't really have an ear for tone or don't care about it... I dunno... it might not be for you, but even the presets are great and it's fun being able to just play around with 200 amps and a zillion cab choices, plus the effects. I've never even scratched the surface of it all.

If you play professionally at all, (as in gig for $) or record guitars (any genre), then this thing is soooooo worth every penny. You can record guitar at 2:00AM in an apartment with headphones and get the same results you would get miking up a Marshall cab in a studio turned up to 10. There is NO recording solution like it out there in my opinion. Nothing on the market, software or hardware, come this close to absolute tonal reality.

What do you play your GSP 1101 through? A cab? monitors?
To make use of scenes, you will need a smart midi controller, and it's hard to beat the MFC. I tried using my Ground Control, but it was not up to the task.
Pretty much that's all you really need. - a good FRFR output (unless you do the amp/cab thing) and an MFC or something to control it with.

Maybe put in this type of question at a concurrent site, but even they will admit that the Axe Fx is a better value than tax return money on your bank account. Not the good place to get convinced not to buy one...we're quite convinced users here I guess and for good reasons.

All signs point to me upgrading from a GSP1101 to a brand new Axe FX II XL+ when I get my tax return. Can anybody convince me to NOT buy the Axe FX?
The smart thing to do would be to use it towards getting closer to paying off any debts (car, house, ect.). You'll save money on interest by shorting the term.

Probably not what you want to hear.

Well now. IF it is such an arduous chore to decide to buy, then, well, just shoot me your refund, Cognitive Dissonance eased. :D

There are 2 kits I would always recommend people buy if they are interested in them, in having great amp tone, CRANKED amp tone, feel and response at any volume, ease of recording, and the ability to play any amp ever created. One is the Axe FX II XL+.

The smart thing to do would be to use it towards getting closer to paying off any debts (car, house, ect.). You'll save money on interest by shorting the term.

Probably not what you want to hear.
After I pay off my credit card, I'd buy myself an Axe FX to reward myself.

Your wife will not understand. She will be pissed.... if you are married. Unless she likes guitar music... then she will dig it.
My wife said I should buy it!

What do you play your GSP 1101 through? A cab? monitors?
To make use of scenes, you will need a smart midi controller, and it's hard to beat the MFC. I tried using my Ground Control, but it was not up to the task.
Pretty much that's all you really need. - a good FRFR output (unless you do the amp/cab thing) and an MFC or something to control it with.
I'm playing through one channel of a 1000w/channel solid state power amp into a 4x12 Mesa cab. I'll try out the GCP since I already have it. I've read success stories online where people remap PC signals from the GCP to scenes in the Axe FX. If that doesn't work, I'll sell an amp and get an MFC101.

With this in mind:
If you are impatient, have trouble learning new gear (this thing has a LOT going on inside), or don't really have an ear for tone or don't care about it... I dunno... it might not be for you, but even the presets are great and it's fun being able to just play around with 200 amps and a zillion cab choices, plus the effects. I've never even scratched the surface of it all.

If you play professionally at all, (as in gig for $) or record guitars (any genre), then this thing is soooooo worth every penny. You can record guitar at 2:00AM in an apartment with headphones and get the same results you would get miking up a Marshall cab in a studio turned up to 10. There is NO recording solution like it out there in my opinion. Nothing on the market, software or hardware, come this close to absolute tonal reality.

You're selling this to me really hard. I was trying to see if there is ANY argument that would make me not want to make this investment. And my comfort level with this stuff is very high.

Thanks for everyone who failed to convince me to be a "responsible adult!" But please keep the arguments coming!

Back
Top Bottom