Some questions regarding the Mark IV

I found this thread very interesting cause I've been trying to find the right amp for my sound and since FW 10 that's been harder to do cause the names of the USA amps had changed a little. But since the admin there mentioned the USA Lead Bright + amp, I decided to give it a go. The result is the clip above. I like it a lot cause its really close to what I'm lookin for. But what would really help (if it's even possible for the Axe Fx II) is a firmware update with the added ability to change mic positions :). I think that is what the next firmware update needs. I'm not talking proximity. More like on/off axis or cap/cone/cone edge sort of thing. It'd be killer the the Axe could do that.

I think a scheme of grouping related IR's together and allowing a quick change in the CAB block would be cool. Zipping the related IR's into a "set"?

It's not really modeling mic position, but if there were 5 IR's of the same cab / speaker with different mic positions, it would show up as one IR "set" in the CAB block with different "mic positions". In actuality changing the mic position would just load a different IR.

Sounds great, MetalGarret! Can you share the preset?

I would totally if I knew how to export :( But I can tell you the settings i used.

Gate/Exp>Comp>Drive>Amp>PEQ>Cab

The drive is Tube Drive withe the tone at 12 o'clock and the drive turned all the way down. I relied on the amp's drive for gain.

Amp is USA Lead Brt +. Drive is at around 8, Bass at 2.8, Mid at 2.3, Treble at 8.7. Comp is off. Boost is off. FAT is off. BRT is on. SAT is off. Presence is at 7 or so.

PEQ is scooped. Scroll to 751.2 and drop it about -9.70. Q is at .640.

Cab is a stereo cab with both mics on the same cab which is Factory 44 (Recto V30 (OH)) mics are SM57 and R121.

My only problem with this tone is that it doesnt have that cool bite and roar as Irotlas'. Where can I get that IR? :D

Cool, I'll give these settings a go tonight!

Another cab setting you might try is changing the cab that the 57 is on to the Recot V30 (RW) and then change the R121 to a 421 (that mic still sitting on the Recto V30 (OH) I kinda like the crunch this cab has. But still missing that roar im looking for.

I primarily use real guitar cabs (just got a Port City Wave OS 2x12 with V30s), but I'll also try using FRFR too. :mrgreen

You can achieve specific mic positions by using custom IRs.

Where can I get some good ones? I tried using Red Wire's but they had some kind of hi fi-ness to them that it hurt my ears. like too much presence. Where get i get goods ones that provide the same bite and roar as Petrucci?

Just spent $25 on the 412-GTR Mes V32 STD from Ownhammer. Gonna try them out in a few.Soon as I can figure out how to import them into the Axe 2. Axe-Edit is being a little bitch.

I've bene messing around with the Own hammer collection of IRs but STILL can find that tone. Its driving me nuts!

The goal is this: Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels - Guitar Stem - YouTube

There's this sparkle behind everything that I find very attractive that I've been trying to nab but for some god damn reason i can get it. I'm still fishing through the IRs but man, what gets you that element?

This is what my guitar sounds like in the mix.
https://soundcloud.com/soleparadigm/nothing-stops-the-machine

It feels hollow some how and it doesn't have that tingle like other Mark IV or V users have. Its ok but it's not what Im aiming for.

It's hard to find Stiletto/Traditional 4x12 IRs which is the Petrucci cab. I guess CALI is it and ofcourse the Petrucci IR.

Fired up my Mark IV this weekend for the first time in months, and discovered it makes a ticking sound when off standby. What Axe-FX model do I use simulate that? :(

Are you running the amp near your Axe or a computer? I've noticed that ticking when getting PUs to close to Axe. Just a thought.

Not to thread-jack, but that's not it (computer "buzz" I can usually eliminate with a noise gate). This occurs even when I have the guitar volume off (but with the amp off standby). I suspect (hope) it's a bad tube, but haven't isolated which.

Bzzt! Boy do I feel dumb... came home with a complete new set of 4 12AX7s, an SPAX7-A, and 4 STR-440s. Before swapping, I had the brilliant idea of actually inserting my Monster Power Conditioner between the amp and the wall outlet.

Yup, got rid of the ticking. Whoops, maybe I should have thought of that earlier. Guess that's pretty concrete ammo for the Power Conditioner Snake Oil thread...

Oh, well, I guess I could keep the tubes for when I eventually succumb to selling the Mark because I never play it any more... it has been about seven years since I changed them, but I only play the Mark once every few months nowadays. :(

It's hard to find Stiletto/Traditional 4x12 IRs which is the Petrucci cab. I guess CALI is it and ofcourse the Petrucci IR.

Tried that CALI but it didnt sound quite right. The petrucci mix came closer but still lacking that grit. Still fishing through Ownhammer's goods so we'll see.

Here's a question. When I had my Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pickups installed, I think they asked if I wanted them wired in a particular way. There were 2 choices I think. I may be remembering that wrong but is there indeed more way than one to wire in pickups?

You can get the JP bridge pickup backwards (better for low tunings) so that might've been the question. Also the middle position is the middle coils in a stock JP.

I've asked Kevin (OwnHammer) but sadly there won't be a Traditional Mesa IR pack any time soon. The Recto is pretty close though. Sm57 #8 position close micd was good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom