[solved] Not getting signal, using SPDIF, Fast Track Pro, Axe-Fx Fx II, and Logic

jdiz86

I'm having issues getting my axe fx to register a signal in Logic. I have my axe fx connected to a fast track pro (FTP) using spdif cables, then my monitors are connected to the fast track pro with trs to xlr cables.
  • audio preferences in logic are set to use fast track pro
  • sample rate in logic is set at 44.1k (also tried 48k)
  • fast track pro has a maximum sample rate of 48k.
  • system preferences (using a macbook pro) has audio set to fast track pro at a max of 48k with spdif input channel, channel 1&2 (balanced/unbalanced), and channel 3&4 (spdif/unbalanced) engaged.
  • in my axe fx audio i/o, audio page, I have my main input source as spdif/aes, world clock at spdif/aes, input mode 1 as stereo, input 1 left select as front.
I've plugged my guitar into the front input on the axe fx - NO SIGNAL. When I plug my guitar into the FTP instrument input, i get a dry signal in my DAW and sound comes out of my monitors. I don't believe there are cable routing issues.

The FTP manual says: "When Outputs 3 and 4 are activated, they will show up as output channels in your DAW application. Signals routed to Outputs 3 and 4 in your DAW application will appear at the S/PDIF outputs, and be duplicated at unbalanced Outputs 3 and 4." I do not see channel 3 and 4 available to me in Logic, only 1 and 2. Is this the problem?

Is the axe fx simply not communicating with the FTP? Are my I/O settings correct in the axe fx? Should the sample rate be at 48k in Logic or wouldn't it automatically convert otherwise? I've tried both anyway.

What am I doing wrong?

Your gear needs to be running at 48k. On axe-fx are you saying that the clock source is the fast track pro? I have no experience with the fast track but for my interface i had to route the signal paths using the interface software before being able to record or hear anything.

I'm having issues getting my axe fx to register a signal in Logic. I have my axe fx connected to a fast track pro (FTP) using spdif cables, then my monitors are connected to the fast track pro with trs to xlr cables.
  • audio preferences in logic are set to use fast track pro
  • sample rate in logic is set at 44.1k (also tried 48k)
  • fast track pro has a maximum sample rate of 48k.
  • system preferences (using a macbook pro) has audio set to fast track pro at a max of 48k with spdif input channel, channel 1&2 (balanced/unbalanced), and channel 3&4 (spdif/unbalanced) engaged.
  • in my axe fx audio i/o, audio page, I have my main input source as spdif/aes, world clock at spdif/aes, input mode 1 as stereo, input 1 left select as front.
I've plugged my guitar into the front input on the axe fx - NO SIGNAL. When I plug my guitar into the FTP instrument input, i get a dry signal in my DAW and sound comes out of my monitors. I don't believe there are cable routing issues.

The FTP manual says: "When Outputs 3 and 4 are activated, they will show up as output channels in your DAW application. Signals routed to Outputs 3 and 4 in your DAW application will appear at the S/PDIF outputs, and be duplicated at unbalanced Outputs 3 and 4." I do not see channel 3 and 4 available to me in Logic, only 1 and 2. Is this the problem?

Is the axe fx simply not communicating with the FTP? Are my I/O settings correct in the axe fx? Should the sample rate be at 48k in Logic or wouldn't it automatically convert otherwise? I've tried both anyway.

What am I doing wrong?

Try setting Main Input Source to Analog (In 1).

you have to set your audio card to sample rate 48khz,then be sure you are getting sound from the axefx'

if you are getting sound from the axefx now open logic and set sample rate to 48khz

on the axefx i dont remember adjusting any setting.

also be sure you are using the right spdif cable.

how are you connecting the spdif cable between the axefx and your audio card?

you have to set your audio card to sample rate 48khz,then be sure you are getting sound from the axefx'

if you are getting sound from the axefx now open logic and set sample rate to 48khz

I still get audio with the interface set to 44.1KHz, though there are audio anomalies. However, I get no audio when Main Input Source is set to SPDIF/AES.

Your gear needs to be running at 48k. On axe-fx are you saying that the clock source is the fast track pro? I have no experience with the fast track but for my interface i had to route the signal paths using the interface software before being able to record or hear anything.

My DAW is running at 48k. The FTP settings in system preference "allows up to 48k". The Word Clock in the AFX I/O is set to "spdif/aes". I can't find any software for the FTP, only the latest driver (which i have downloaded). All I am able to do is set the channels, sample rate (48k), and sample depth (24bit) within system preference of my computer.

So I should be getting sound without Logic running - correct? I'm not. i only have the spdif cables connected to the rear panel of the axe fx. So it's AFX to FTP with two spdif cables, then my monitors are connected to the FTP. Signal is showing on the front panel of the AFX if the main input source is "analog (in 1)", but no sound through the monitors. I using these cables: Amazon product ASIN B0002J2B7E
spdif in (AFX) is connected to spdif out (FTP). and spdif out (AFX) is connected to spdif in (FTP).

where do you set your clock source? is this in the audio interface software (that i don't have)? or is it within the AFX? or DAW? the only thing I see about "clock" is in the AFX, and neither option is working.

Is this what your interface control panel looks like?

attachment.php

Is this what your interface control panel looks like?

attachment.php

not exactly, but yes. I have the ability to select those channels, but the sample rate is not selectable; instead, it says "maximum of 48k". No buffer options. but I can choose bit depth 16 or 24.

I would like to thank everyone here for their responses. However, what I have realized is that the FTP, in system preferences, states "device not connected". Funny enough, I did not notice this before. I went back to avid's site and apparently they have discontinued supporting the FTP since Nov. of this year. I won't be able to reach out to them. Also, when considering downloading a later driver, I went to their site and noticed below the latest driver download the following: "Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified"... doh. So I guess i'm throwing this thing in the trash. problem solved by way of a new problem being realized. bummer for me, but at least I can use the AFX as an interface in the meantime.

thanks again for the input.

spdif in (AFX) is connected to spdif out (FTP). and spdif out (AFX) is connected to spdif in (FTP).

i cant see the amazon link you posted,anyway i think your problem is here,you should use only one spdif cable,AxeFX Out to your audio card in

I would like to thank everyone here for their responses. However, what I have realized is that the FTP, in system preferences, states "device not connected". Funny enough, I did not notice this before. I went back to avid's site and apparently they have discontinued supporting the FTP since Nov. of this year. I won't be able to reach out to them. Also, when considering downloading a later driver, I went to their site and noticed below the latest driver download the following: "Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified"... doh. So I guess i'm throwing this thing in the trash. problem solved by way of a new problem being realized. bummer for me, but at least I can use the AFX as an interface in the meantime.

thanks again for the input.

Same thing happened to me. I got the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface and it blows the FTP, amazing audio quality and reliability.

Back
Top Bottom