[Solved] Logic Pro Crashing with Axe-Edit running

Major77

Hi all,

recently upgraded to a Mac Mini M1 after years of using the Axe III and Logic on an Intel based MacBook.

I have had a lot of trouble with Logic crashing on me (EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) and EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) errors).

After going through most recommended fixes (remove all plugins, reinstall Logic and reinstalling the OS completely) it was still happening. Logic just crashed randomly during playback after an uptime of anything between 5 to 15 minutes.

The only thing I had running at any given time was Axe Edit as the Axe III is my audio interface and here's the thing:

Once I closed Axe Edit Logic stopped crashing. Zero crashes ever since.

Now I don't know what the deal is, never had any issues with anything Fractal related. Maybe this is just something very specific to my system and the workaround is easy enough (dial in tone before and then close Editor for recording) however, I decided to post it as it may help someone else.

For context:
There is almost no other software on the system as it is solely for recording.
This is a new MacMini.
I have been able to reproduce this beaviour multiple times.

Specs:
Mac Mini M1
Monterey 12.6.2
Logic Pro X 10.7.6
Axe Edit 1.12.12
Axe FX FW 21.01
The Axe FX is plugged straight into the Mini, no USB Hubs or anything

Interesting - Lately when playing a section in Logic repeatedly (like to work out a solo) - it has crashed on me after about 2-3 minutes where I never noticed that happening before. Will check it with Axe Edit closed just out of curiosity. I have a mini, but not a M1 but all the other config info is the same with exception of the OS (just have 12.6 Monterey)

Hmm... same. I'd been using Axe Edit while recording/reamping in Logic, with occasional crashes (not tied to any particular user action).
In 'normal' use (typically without Axe Edit running) Logic never crashes.
Same config as @Major77 except Intel-based Mini, Monterey 12.6.1

Interesting - Lately when playing a section in Logic repeatedly (like to work out a solo) - it has crashed on me after about 2-3 minutes where I never noticed that happening before. Will check it with Axe Edit closed just out of curiosity. I have a mini, but not a M1 but all the other config info is the same with exception of the OS (just have 12.6 Monterey)
Same

Next time I log on, I’m making this change. Thank you M@

I’m on a M2 and I’ve been pausing communications on axe edit. That seems to help, but I still have Logic crashes.

I suspect some other issues as well ( looking 👀 at you NI), but this is great that it seems to solve a lot of issues for folks here, I’ll adopt it.

👍❤️🙏

Thank you so much for posting this thread and solution! The solution seems to also have fixed the same issue for me on an FM9.

By the way, I spent hours restarting my Mac, trying safe mode, reinstalling Logic, etc :sweatsmile: Maybe in the future, the Edit software should warn users automatically about this problem if Logic is detected? To prevent others from going through the same painful process.

There's a general setting in Logic that allows you to disable MIDI Inputs for external USB/Audio products that have editor software. Make this change and see if it helps:

Wow, well I’m super psyched to have stumbled on this. I’ve been “just living with it” when Logic would crash on cycle mode, hoping there would be some future Apple update to resolve. This fixed my issue as well. Thanks @Admin M@ and thanks @Brian Coonan for specifically calling out cycle mode or I’d probably have glossed over this thread.

Count me in on the list of thankful people as well!

In my case I have been using an Axe-FX II in the loop of an Axe-FX III a lot lately with both Axe-Edit II and Axe-Edit III open while I copy and compare old presets. I'm still running High Sierra on that machine and Logic 10.4.8 would eventually throw a fit of MIDI timeout issues necessitating a hardware restart of everything.

Interestingly, Logic's list of MIDI inputs for me contained literally thousands of greyed out instances of Superior Drummer 3.

TIP - If you want to remove an item from that list entirely, simply click on the name of the item and press the delete key.

Back
Top Bottom