[solved] FM3 Output

what would you adjust? you need to use the Out 1 physical output to go to your amp return. i'm not sure there's anything to adjust.
But that looks like it's for a different set up. Looks like I;m going to need to make a adapter.

FROM manual pg 31: Navigate to SETUP: I/O: Audio and change Output 2/Copy Output 1 to “ON”. Output 2 will now replicate the signal normally sent to Out 1. I don't see the "ON"
page 31 isn't showing how to use the 4 cable method though.

the instruction in the manual is incorrect unfortunately. you don't set it to "on" anymore - that's what it used to be. now we have the options you mentioned earlier - Input 1 or Output 1.

however this won't help you with the 4 cable method. if you copy Output 1 to Output 2, then your Output 2 signal (everything in front of the amp) would go away.

Output 2 can't both be Output 2 and Output 1 at the same time.

if you want the full 4 cable method you simply have to use the physical Output 1. Output 1 and Output 2 need to send different signals. you can't copy anything.

The Output 1 1/4 jack won't allow this I don't believe? Unless I can change the path that goes to the XLR to the 1/4 Output? Seems like it would be easy, but I can't find it......so I may just have to go the XLR route and move on.

Thanks again for all your time and help. It's appreciated!

4 Cable Method without using Output 1:

Out 2L to front of amp
Amp fx loop send to In 2L
Out 2R to amp fx loop return

You'll probably want to set Out 2 level knob to 100% as it affects both pre & post output levels.

Input 2 mode = Left only
Output 2 Mode = stereo

5xcsYlG.png

The Output 1 1/4 jack won't allow this I don't believe?
Output 1 does not have a 1/4" jack on the FM3.

if you meant Output 2, then no you can't have Output 2 be BOTH Out 1 and Out 2 at the same time. there is no setting to have both Out 1 and Out 2 at the same time from the Output 2 1/4" jacks.

as i've been saying, for the traditional 4cm, you need to use the physical Out 1 jacks, which happen to be XLR only, for 4 Cable Method.

the instructions on Page 31 show how to use a single output to an amp, not the 4 Cable Method which uses both outputs separately.

bakerman has shown a way to use Out 2 only - you don't use the Copy function. you arrange blocks in the grid in a particular way and have to adjust the parameters in the Out 2 block as he said. this is a workaround method and could work well if everything is set correctly. this is not in the manual because it's a bit advanced and not the "typical" method. give it a try.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that as soon as I started using the XLR, everything is good. Go figure! Thanks again for all your support!

Hey @Bakerman I tried your method and couldn't seem to get it to work compared to the regular 4CB method using output 1. I tried turning on and off the chorus but I could never hear the effect.

I believe I have everything set up from your instructions, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your last part on "Balancing upper row L, Lower Row R in the Output 2 Block." I tried lowering Row 3 in Output Block 2 as that is my "Lower Row R." I didn't notice any sound changes. What do you mean by "Balancing upper row L" because I noticed I could change the volume by lowering Row 2 in Output Block 2.

On a side note I accidentally turned up Row 3 in Output Block 2 and oh my god that was a horrifying shrieking noise. Don't do what I did.
forum 4cb method.png

I ended up making a pigtail XLR to 1/4 female. It made sense for me as I learned trying to work around not using the XLR is more work, and I wanted to use the 1/4 cable that was already in my snake.

Plugging the pigtail XLR in Output 1, then plugging in the 1/4 cable (that leads to amp's FX Loop Return) in to the pigtail, works with no issues in the 4CM setup.

Hope this helps anyone trying to set up 4CM.

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
Hey @Bakerman I tried your method and couldn't seem to get it to work compared to the regular 4CB method using output 1. I tried turning on and off the chorus but I could never hear the effect.

I believe I have everything set up from your instructions, but maybe I'm misunderstanding your last part on "Balancing upper row L, Lower Row R in the Output 2 Block." I tried lowering Row 3 in Output Block 2 as that is my "Lower Row R." I didn't notice any sound changes. What do you mean by "Balancing upper row L" because I noticed I could change the volume by lowering Row 2 in Output Block 2.

On a side note I accidentally turned up Row 3 in Output Block 2 and oh my god that was a horrifying shrieking noise. Don't do what I did.
View attachment 67880
Based on your screenshot: In the out 2 block you need to pan row 2 all the way to the left and row 3 all the way to the right. Then the physical out 2L will go to the front of your amp and out 2R will go to the return of your effects loop.

Based on your screenshot: In the out 2 block you need to pan row 2 all the way to the left and row 3 all the way to the right. Then the physical out 2L will go to the front of your amp and out 2R will go to the return of your effects loop.

Oh, you were referring to panning levels, not the row levels. It worked as soon as I did the panning, thanks!! It seems a little noisy compared to the other method with the xlr/1/4" cable, but I wonder if this would be fixed as soon as I get a 3rd humbuster cable.

I hope it's ok to piggy back on to this request as I have a similar question. I just received my FM3 today and didn't realize that output 1 was xlr only and of course I just moved and have them packed up in storage so I think if I reroute output 1 l/r to output 2 l/r I can use my 1/4 cables? and thanks in advance!

I hope it's ok to piggy back on to this request as I have a similar question. I just received my FM3 today and didn't realize that output 1 was xlr only and of course I just moved and have them packed up in storage so I think if I reroute output 1 l/r to output 2 l/r I can use my 1/4 cables? and thanks in advance!
Set Out 2 copy to Out 1 in Setup Audio. USB signal from a computer does not come through Out 2 though.

I ended up making a pigtail XLR to 1/4 female. It made sense for me as I learned trying to work around not using the XLR is more work, and I wanted to use the 1/4 cable that was already in my snake.

Plugging the pigtail XLR in Output 1, then plugging in the 1/4 cable (that leads to amp's FX Loop Return) in to the pigtail, works with no issues in the 4CM setup.

Hope this helps anyone trying to set up 4CM.

Where'd you get that cable? I would like something like that to try the 4CM.

4 Cable Method without using Output 1:

Out 2L to front of amp
Amp fx loop send to In 2L
Out 2R to amp fx loop return

You'll probably want to set Out 2 level knob to 100% as it affects both pre & post output levels.

Input 2 mode = Left only
Output 2 Mode = stereo

5xcsYlG.png

Oh, you were referring to panning levels, not the row levels. It worked as soon as I did the panning, thanks!! It seems a little noisy compared to the other method with the xlr/1/4" cable, but I wonder if this would be fixed as soon as I get a 3rd humbuster cable.

How do I set the panning in the Output 2 block?

I'm working on the FM 3 itself, not the Edit software.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hi all - I am still trying to find out how, using the OUT 2 4CM, I can utilize OUT 1 to send to FOH, FRFR, etc. Somebody mentioned using a cab block but I have tried and it doesnt seem to work. Any ideas how this would be routed / setup?

Hi all - I am still trying to find out how, using the OUT 2 4CM, I can utilize OUT 1 to send to FOH, FRFR, etc. Somebody mentioned using a cab block but I have tried and it doesnt seem to work. Any ideas how this would be routed / setup?
4CM uses all 4 of the ins and outs of an FM3, so the short answer is you can’t because you’re already using Out 1 for 4CM without a cab block.

With complex routing and “splitting” out 1 with Volume blocks, there is a possibility of doing it; maybe someone more familiar with 4CM can figure that out.

I’d recommend starting your own thread for this.

4CM uses all 4 of the ins and outs of an FM3, so the short answer is you can’t because you’re already using Out 1 for 4CM without a cab block.

With complex routing and “splitting” out 1 with Volume blocks, there is a possibility of doing it; maybe someone more familiar with 4CM can figure that out.

I’d recommend starting your own thread for this.
I’m using the OUT2 4CM so OUT1 is free

Back
Top Bottom