[Solved] Boomy note decay

I've posted clips of the real AFD vs. the model. The model is very accurate. If you don't like the model you won't like the real amp. Use a different model.
Concerning the afd, when you know the tone from an artist by heart and you don’t recognize it , arf. How can I explain myself? Maybe he never use this head finally and that’s just a commercial product .

if we take the Marshall family for example. When you try them all in the axe and then it is the afd turn, it sound off compared to the others. I want to believe that it is like that. I ve tried maybe 10 differents Marshall heads for real and they are all trebly sounding .

Well, maybe that’s just that I like slash a lot and believed that the afd gives the instant tone with my Les Paul. In the end I use whatever other Marshall to play gnrs. I apologize if I was too much heavy about it. I enjoy your product everyday and don’t regret the purchase at all.

That may be the case. Obviously GnR didn't use the signature head to record any of their famous songs.
But he used it live
And a jubilee always near 😅

Attachments

• 0F22C467-CE39-4DE0-8F5C-4142810B2168.png
    0F22C467-CE39-4DE0-8F5C-4142810B2168.png
    584.6 KB · Views: 22
  • E7C193EB-435D-49F1-973B-BC4FEB621EE2.jpeg
    E7C193EB-435D-49F1-973B-BC4FEB621EE2.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 23
  • 41AEE179-F677-4F51-AEAC-BAB2DA10404A.jpeg
    41AEE179-F677-4F51-AEAC-BAB2DA10404A.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 23

What amp does he play the god father theme here?

Good question . This is the tour in Tokyo 92 if I remember . I ve Watch this vhs 100 times when I was younger . They release 2 vhs with this gig .
Axl with his white underwear haha . Yes . I grow up with them . Love my 90’s. Nirvana , guns, Metallica… rock n roll everywhere . Slash and Kurt are the ones who give me the will to play guitar, and I never stopped since then .
The use your illusion are masterpieces . I listen to tons of different rock music but these ones are up in the sky .

Good question . This is the tour in Tokyo 92 if I remember . I ve Watch this vhs 100 times when I was younger . They release 2 vhs with this gig .
Axl with his white underwear haha . Yes . I grow up with them . Love my 90’s. Nirvana , guns, Metallica… rock n roll everywhere . Slash and Kurt are the ones who give me the will to play guitar, and I never stopped since then .
The use your illusion are masterpieces . I listen to tons of different rock music but these ones are up in the sky .
Yep 1992.

I read some post about previous firmwares vs 19. This weekend I’m gonna try to revert to older firmwares to check if it is the same. I’ll keep this thread updated.

Concerning the afd, when you know the tone from an artist by heart and you don’t recognize it , arf. How can I explain myself? Maybe he never use this head finally and that’s just a commercial product .

if we take the Marshall family for example. When you try them all in the axe and then it is the afd turn, it sound off compared to the others. I want to believe that it is like that. I ve tried maybe 10 differents Marshall heads for real and they are all trebly sounding .

Well, maybe that’s just that I like slash a lot and believed that the afd gives the instant tone with my Les Paul. In the end I use whatever other Marshall to play gnrs. I apologize if I was too much heavy about it. I enjoy your product everyday and don’t regret the purchase at all.
I played a AFD and from what I remember, it sounded very thin and bright, I didn’t like it.
If you are listening through Slash‘s isolated guitar tracks on the AFD Album, it’s very accurate because the AFD was made to produce exactly that sound.

I played a AFD and from what I remember, it sounded very thin and bright, I didn’t like it.
If you are listening through Slash‘s isolated guitar tracks on the AFD Album, it’s very accurate because the AFD was made to produce exactly that sound.
“Thin and bright”? so exactly the reverse of the one we have . In the afd in the axe, there is a huge difference in tone when you turn the presence knob in the 9 to 10 zone. In this zone you can make it bright , but under 9 🥵 . It’s like the presence knob only act in his ending zone. Don’t know if it’s like that normally

Last edited:
Try put an EQ 10 band, with slash settings, and use v30 cab.

“Thin and bright”? so exactly the reverse of the one we have . In the afd in the axe, there is a huge difference in tone when you turn the presence knob in the 9 to 10 zone. In this zone you can make it bright , but under 9 🥵 . It’s like the presence knob only act in his ending zone. Don’t know if it’s like that normally
That depends on the IR. With a V30 or a GB with a single SM 57 the AFD in the Axe is indeed very bright and thin sounding (if you want)

Sorry guys, I come back to the OP.

Here it is another test. Same environment, Fractal direct to the Mac, no monitor, only headphones. Same guitar (PRS CU24), same note (A2 - 110Hz).

I don't intend to compare exactly the same amp in all of the 3 takes, but in the first 2 yes:
  • Fractal preset 0014 Recto 1 - Scene 1
  • Line 4 Helix Rectifier, same values, same IR
  • Neural Gojira (just to compare another high gain for those who said the high gain are so)
As you can see from the waveform, Fractal is almost "flat" with some kind of increase in the middle (where the boomy happens). the other two have a higher attack and then the tone decreases.

Schermata 2022-02-12 alle 14.32.49.png

Probably means that the other two are incorrect. You worry too much. ;)

@FractalAudio sorry to bother you with comments that probably arise from little experience (first time with Fractal, ex-Mesa/Boogie Mark V).

The walk around of @mixermang works, and even a PEQ with peaking at that specific frequency works, but I can't consider this a "normal" behavior. Here is another experiment.

Setup:
  • Preset: 0020 Euro Uber.
  • Guitar: Gibson Les Paul (same with the PRS CU24)
  • Straight into Axe-Fx input
  • Axe-Fx USB to Mac then Logic
  • NO Studio monitor connected (switched off)
  • Headphones monitoring
  • NO change in the preset, no fx in the DAW
First the wave form of a clean sound (preset 0383 - BYPASS), same note. It has a peak and then decreases. No problem.

View attachment 96028

And here the waveform of the signal with the preset I wrote before (0020 Euro Uber).
Instead of decreasing after the note attack, the amplitude of the waveform increases and that's where that unnatural "noise" starts.

View attachment 96029

This is the wave form of guitar through preset 0383 - BYPASS then UAD Apollo Twin, with Marshall Unison Plug in, just to give evidence of the wave form of a high gain tone.

View attachment 96030
Once again, attack and then decreases. NO problem.

Finally the recording of the note played through the preset that makes that noise (0020 Euro Uber, like the Recto, Hipower, and few others).

Same preset, same guitar, same note, in FW 19.05 I see everything is more balanced and the waveform seems more "as expected as well". Super satisfied!

Schermata 2022-03-12 alle 10.33.24.png

Back
Top Bottom