Solved: AX8 running out of CPU

Singtall

Experienced
Vendor
i started my first clean preset using a compressor-clean amp-no cabinet- chorus-delay-reverb and i ran out of cpu before i could setup the effects. maybe i'm trying to use too much chorus width or something, but I'm so used to doing this same rig on the axe-fx II with zero issues. even the first gen axe-fx didn't have this problem. i can use this same block setup on any cheap modeler out there with zero issues, so i'm not understanding why the AX8 is gagging on this setup.

i'm going to try to narrow it down to what the limitation is that's causing the issue, but i know that setting the chorus to 8 voices will kill the reverb immediately.

has anyone else hit the cpu wall yet?

I have a few times. Had to scale the preset back a bit. Hopefully this can be somewhat addressed in a future update?

Hmm, I'm not having any problems with that combination of blocks. For example, the first factory preset (Double Verb) has comp, wah, phaser, drive, amp, ultra-res cab, chorus, delay, and high quality reverb, all at 82% cpu usage. On that patch, if you up the chorus to 8 voices, the reverb will drop out, but you can get it back by dropping the drive block, changing reverb to normal quality, or settling for 6 voices on chorus. So, it seems like you should be able to create a patch like you are describing, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Set Reverb to normal quality and go from there.

I'm looking at one of my presets with Wah, Drive, Amp, Cab, Chorus, Vol/Pan, Delay, MultiDly, Reverb (med. Spring), and Filter blocks. CPU is at 80%

Really, FAS should set the default reverb setting to Normal quality on the AX8...

Set Reverb to normal quality and go from there.

I'm looking at one of my presets with Wah, Drive, Amp, Cab, Chorus, Vol/Pan, Delay, MultiDly, Reverb (med. Spring), and Filter blocks. CPU is at 80%

Really, FAS should set the default reverb setting to Normal quality on the AX8...

I had a preset the other day similar to that (with normal reverb) that still hit the ceiling. Should've taken a screenshot...next time I will.

My preset is attached. It should be 80% CPU on your AX8. If not, I would contact support.

There are also two GEQ blocks that are used only for signal routing to bypass the Wah in Scene 1, and then enable the Wah and bypass the Vol/Pan block in Scene 2. Scene 3 is uses the Amp Y setting for a clean tone.

Attachments

• USA IIC+.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
I have found that if the CPU usage is around 65%, I cannot insert the reverb block. Then I remove the drive block (which also takes a lot of CPU), insert the reverb (maybe set it to spring, which takes the least CPU) block and re-insert the drive block. Then I usually still have the option to use quite big verbs.

That's a great idea.

@Cliff: maybe you can also set the default type to one of the Spring reverbs too, would make it easier to insert the block.
V2.00 changes the way blocks are inserted. You will be able to insert any block you want without restriction. If you violate the CPU limit, the unit will just keep disabling blocks until the CPU utilization is below the threshold. It will be up to the user to optimize the preset to run all the necessary effects. This should greatly improve the ease of building presets.

V2.00 changes the way blocks are inserted. You will be able to insert any block you want without restriction. If you violate the CPU limit, the unit will just keep disabling blocks until the CPU utilization is below the threshold. It will be up to the user to optimize the preset to run all the necessary effects. This should greatly improve the ease of building presets.
Thats perfect!

Back
Top Bottom