So is anybody actually using the Axe II with bass? Clips?

Spaceboy

Inspired
The bass subforum here is useless, and nobody ever checks it. I would like to hear what the II can do with bass. I've seen a couple YouTube videos in the past of the Ultra, but nothing recent or for the II.

Please don't move this to the bass subforum, because it will get ignored and be purged like every other discussion in that area. That whole section may as well be deleted, honestly.

I was actually going to post up today about some of my bass tips an 'breakthrus' with the II, but time may not permit, so probably tomorrow. I have had very limited success with the ultra, but much more luck with the II. Still takes some work, but it's easier to drive the II to where you want it to go.

Thanks would be much appreciated! I'm about to record a band using the Axe FX, and I'm not sure if the unit has the capabilities, or if I need to look into some other options. I have the old standby BassDriver DI, but would like to do something with the Axe II. But, I'm looking in dabbling in bass for another project and it would be great if I could use the Axe there too.

I've been using it with bass since the Ultra. So yes, I've been using it for a long time. It's fine for bass, minus a few problems with pitch detection in the very low end in the tuner, pitch and synth blocks. Tone wise though, it's fine. Use the amp sim or just make a patch with compressor and EQ. Whichever way works fine. You shouldn't have any problems.

Definitively fine for bass!
A few hints:
  • Use "low cut" for effects such as Chorus, Flanger or Phaser in order to let low frequencies pass unchanged in order to get a tight bottom
  • I use "SV Bass" and "Tube Pre" for bass with good results (YMMV)
  • Especially with "Tube Pre" I get excellent results if I ignore the AMPs EQing and focus for the bottom end on tuning LF RESONANCE/LF RES FREQ/LF RES Q on the Amp Speaker Impedance page
  • I use the graphical AMP EQ on later pages for tuning the high end together with PRESENCE or HiCut (depending on the model)
  • Mixing two CABs together with the MIXER and adding some direct signal works best for me (i. e. MIXER with 2 signals: direct/SHUNT, CAB1 and CAB2)

Hope this helps!

John Myung of DT uses it but he also splits his signal in like 12 different directions and it probably controls global warming as well.

Premier Guitar did a Myung rig rundown. I think he pretty much uses only the Recto Red and a few FX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been using the Ultra for bass for live performance for the last year or so. 1 or 2 rehearsals per week and around 50 shows per year (would be more except I got a good $$$ day job).

I don't have any audio to post up for you... my bad... =( Im mostly a gig warrior than a studio player, but the AxeFx is great for bass IMO. There are clips that posters have previously put up for the Ultra, but I've not seen a lot for the AFXII yet.

There are a few options and approaches for bass recording, depending on the tone you're looking for. You don't necessarily need to use the cabinet block, and can instead use drives, EQ, Filters and compression to shape tone and dynamics. One popular technique is to create 2 parallel signal paths: one that is for all intents straight off the bass, and the other that would att a little bit of grit and tone, much as you would if using a physical DI channel and the Sans Amp Bass driver on 2 separate tracks.

Personally, for live, I've been liking what I hear when using the cabinet block with Redwirez cabinet impulses (not stock in the AxeFx - $9 to purchase via RW website) of the 8x10 SVT cabinet. I use and e602 Sennheiser impulse, cone edge, 0.5" because it has a nice full low end with good clarity up top. In the AFX, I also use the SVT amp sim. Things to try with this model:

- boost and/or treble boost
- Master Volume/SAG/Depth; generous amounts of all of these will fatten and "squish" the tone a bit, to taste, and in a good way IMO; use Level to reduce volume if clipping occurs

You may also want to try using different tone stacks in the advanced settings as different tone stacks will give you some really interesting variations on tone without having to change Amp Types, which can be very time consuming. Another tip would be to record a track of dry bass and re-amp using the AFX and tweak sounds that way.

also, use the looper to record a bass riff, loop it, and then go to the other blocks in your signal chain to tweak the sound, rather than having both hands on the bass. It's easier and more efficient to dial in a sound when you don't have to concentrate on playing at the same time.

It's awesome for bass. I don't find it takes that much tweaking either. Lack of decent bass cabs is the main issue but the ability to roll your own IRs has solved that for me.

Only recorded one track so far but will try and post a clip (though it'll be far from everyone here's cup of tea) ;)

It's good, but I really crave some more amp models
Yeah, would be nice, but I think both the SVT and the Tube Pre can be tweaked a lot if you start really working on it!

In terms of Bass Amps I'd like to see:
  • Trace Ellliot (any model with a GP12 Preamp)
  • Mesa Boogie Carbine (M6 is my favorite)
  • EBS TD660 or Fafner II
  • Glockenklang (any model will do)

skyko, though there aren't a ton of bassists using the AxeFx, over the last couple of years there have been regular posts that pop up where users request a few more flavors of bass amp models. To this point, there has been no action by FAS to indulge those wishes. I, along with others, agree that a few more bass amp models would be excellent. Personally, my take on the situation is that the AxeFx is a guitar toy, developed by those at Fractal Audio who are big fans of tube guitar amps and other guitar based stuff - as opposed to bass guitar. Maybe they care, and maybe they don't, but it seems to me that they would much rather spend their time and firmware updates addressing things other than bass guitar stuff.

All that said, the AxeFx is still a fine preamp/audio tool for creating tones for bass guitar. I have no qualms or regrets, nor any expectations that new bass models will be introduced any time soon or if at all. That's the way it goes. Perhaps sometime in the future, FAS will try to tap into the bass guitar market with some bass-centric features. I'm guessing that they may feel that, at this point, there isn't enough market share for it to be worth their while. And, many guitarists (and some bassists) are of the opinion that all of the tools needed to make great bass tones already exist in the AxeFx. In fact, I believe this is a true statement. This, IMO, should not diminish the value of having a few different bass amp flavors for bassists who would like less of a struggle and less tweaking in order to produce some specific, trademark bass sounds, which is already afforded guitarists with the numerous different amp types available.

also, use the looper to record a bass riff, loop it, and then go to the other blocks in your signal chain to tweak the sound, rather than having both hands on the bass. It's easier and more efficient to dial in a sound when you don't have to concentrate on playing at the same time.

Wow, will this work? Do I have to put the looper before fx I'm tweaking? It changes in real time??? WhaddaGr8idea!!!!

Wow, will this work? Do I have to put the looper before fx I'm tweaking? It changes in real time??? WhaddaGr8idea!!!!

yes. looper very first thing in the effect matrix. from there you add blocks, tweak them, ad infinitum...until you hit a point where you want to save your work.

users have been doing this with loopers for a long time, but often gets overlooked. It may not get you 100% of the way there, but is very handy for tweaking processing FX.

I get good results recording bass with it. You just need to tweak for the bass you are playing. It's got all the tools you could need for a really good bass track.

I've found that I like recording my bass through the axe II without amp or cab. My preset (based on one I found here on the forum) just uses comp, reverb and resonator. Here's a recent recording and the preset. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Bass No Amp Sim.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom