So I took the plunge today an ordered a Matrix GT1000FX 1 U

Ok I got a chance to play around with this last night and a bit this morning.
I borrowed my friends Orange 2X12 (mono) cab to test this with.
Initial thoughts:
the new modeling Cliff implemented in V10 is much much better.
I think it must be that it's a combination of the Matrix being completely flat and the new modeling but this is so much better now
thru a real cab than anything I've tried in the past
On a lot of my patches I can just turn off the Cab modeling and the patch is 100% usable as is. A couple need some additional
eq-ing but that is very minor now as to previously I would need a GEQ and a PEQ to get the amp to actually sound like it does FRFR
and that is more to compensate for the V30's in the cab I'm using to match the Cab IR in the patch. But the big difference I'm seeing for the first time is now the amps
are really showing their character and individuality thru the power amp->cab routing. before 10.0 alot of thea amps sounded pretty much the same (IMO),hence the need for the serious use of added EQ.
Previously I've tried
Mesa 50/50
Marshall 9000
Carvin TS100
Art SLA2
Marshall TSL combo (return loop)
Peavey JSX combo (return loop, great results here did not like the cab)
the JSX was the last tube amp I tried this with and the Matrix feels just as tubey as the Peavey did.
now I get what the fanboyism is about with these things. I don't sense any loss of sag using it
and it allows the amps to sound like them selves but still has a good feel to it. Running this cab in stereo with my RCF sounds really cool.
Later on today I'm going to bring my rig back to my bud's house and run it thru the marshal 9000 again into a couple of 4X12 basketweave cabs and alternate back and forth between that power amp and the matrix to see what the difference is in feel. (going to run his JMP-1 into the Matrix too)
but as of right now I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this product. Matrix looks to have a winner here.
I'm going to give it quite the workout during the trial period, but right now it looks like a keeper. :)

Cool, thanks for the update! Is the Marshall 9000 a SS or tube power amp? If it's tube, don't forget to turn off power amp sims in your Global settings when using the 9000, and turn 'em back on when using the Matrix to make it a fair comparison.

it's an EL-34 tube power amp (I'm going to run it both ways with and without the Power amp sims to see what the diff is
oh and BTW these Orange 2X12's are some pretty kick ass cabs

Coming into this thread late..... Congrats Nick ;)

I love my Matrix and have no complaints whatsoever. I am using stock GB G-Flex stereo 2x12 cabs and they sound great (also ported).
Great updates on your journey

Funny Nick, you and I head down a lot of the same paths.
I had the original Matrix GT800 (borrowed), and I did a bunch of A/B testing with my Marshall 9200 (6L6 version) power amp, AND my JMP-1 Pre-Amp.
Mostly all through Mesa cabs.

I found that the Axe can really nail the JMP-1 as far as Pre-Amp'ing is concerned. (But for some reason I will still never sell my JPM-1....bought it when they first came out, and for some reason I really bonded with it)

Granted I was using the older version of the Matrix (and it was probably somewhere around Axe Firmware 3 or 4, so the power amp modelling has improved), but I couldn't quite get the same feel as the Marshall Valve amp (yes, I turned the Power Amp modelling on for the Matrix, but off for the Marshall).
I'm sure it's a lot closer now....and very interested to hear how your tests go.
Only obvious problem, is that using the Marshall Valve amp....you don't have a lot of flexibility. It's a bit of a one trick pony....but it's a killer trick (as I'm a Marshall lover).

Interested to hear your findings...

took the plunge too. Placed an order on Saturday for the GT1000FX.
hopefully its better than my Mesa 290. Somehow I can't bond with my DCM1540L (it sounds thin and middy despite tweaking a great deal).

So I took this to my buddys house yesterday and ran it thru 2 4X12 basket weave Marshall cabs and HOLY SHIT!
first off,It made me realize how much I miss being able to run 4X12's in my house.
Both loaded with Greenbacks.
My marshal/HBE patches sounded godly.
I don't like Greenbacks with Mesa amps so we stuck with testing all of the Marshal type amp sims today.
We switched the Matrix and his Marshall 9000 EL-34 back and forth and the Marshall added some color (el-34 bark) but the difference in feel was surprisingly a lot closer than I had expected it to be.
We ran it thru the Marshall with power amp sims on and off
The Marshall had a little bit more sag to it but really, not enough to make me say 'fuck this it feels fake". Hardly...., actually it was so close that I upped the sag parameter a bit and softened the Pick attack parameter and got it really close (like pussy hair close).
there was also a tiny bit of "girth" missing from the MAtrix at first , but just slight upping the depth and the thump parameters cancelled that out
Friedman HBE......great
the Plexi 100....great
the FAS Crunch.....Great
Brit 800 (all versions).....great
the Atomica Hi....great
the Slo 100...great
5150 II...great
the patches Isued to record those VH clips sounded almost spot on thru his BW cabs without touching any EQ (just turned off the Cab sims), I have never been able to do that before.
Back at my house (I have the Orange cab with V30's) I got my markIV, Recto red modern, and Triaxis yellow patches all dialed in
I could never get the Recto patch to sound "right" thru a power amp before, now I'm loving it.
I wish I had access to t areal recto so I could go back and forth and see what the diff is but this FW is really kicking it with the GT1000
Now I get why so many of the FAS guys love this power amp
Matrix has got a good product here. So far I'm very impressed.

Hi there,
We are really pleased that you are enjoying it.

My best regards
Matt

So I took this to my buddys house yesterday and ran it thru 2 4X12 basket weave Marshall cabs and HOLY SHIT!
first off,It made me realize how much I miss being able to run 4X12's in my house.
Both loaded with Greenbacks.
My marshal/HBE patches sounded godly.
I don't like Greenbacks with Mesa amps so we stuck with testing all of the Marshal type amp sims today.
We switched the Matrix and his Marshall 9000 EL-34 back and forth and the Marshall added some color (el-34 bark) but the difference in feel was surprisingly a lot closer than I had expected it to be.
We ran it thru the Marshall with power amp sims on and off
The Marshall had a little bit more sag to it but really, not enough to make me say 'fuck this it feels fake". Hardly...., actually it was so close that I upped the sag parameter a bit and softened the Pick attack parameter and got it really close (like pussy hair close).
there was also a tiny bit of "girth" missing from the MAtrix at first , but just slight upping the depth and the thump parameters cancelled that out
Friedman HBE......great
the Plexi 100....great
the FAS Crunch.....Great
Brit 800 (all versions).....great
the Atomica Hi....great
the Slo 100...great
5150 II...great
the patches Isued to record those VH clips sounded almost spot on thru his BW cabs without touching any EQ (just turned off the Cab sims), I have never been able to do that before.
Back at my house (I have the Orange cab with V30's) I got my markIV, Recto red modern, and Triaxis yellow patches all dialed in
I could never get the Recto patch to sound "right" thru a power amp before, now I'm loving it.
I wish I had access to t areal recto so I could go back and forth and see what the diff is but this FW is really kicking it with the GT1000
Now I get why so many of the FAS guys love this power amp
Matrix has got a good product here. So far I'm very impressed.

Matrix is cool.. I just bought a used Q12 actually, hoping to soon get a GM50 to put inside instead of using my Carvin T100 to power it like I'll be doing for a few weeks.. Im excited either way though, big upgrade over my cheap EV SX300, can't wait to see how much the Axe-FX opens up (but mainly, just to remove any doubt/GAS in my mind, since I have no interest in the CLR this is the highest end option available)

Thanks for the feedback, Nick! Wished I could have been there to hear that Marshall ROAR! :devilish:

I know it's been said a million times over, but wow... V10 is just the shiznit. And the Matrix amps just amplify that shiznit perfectly. Last night I tuned my Les Paul down to C#, and re-tweaked ProgressiveRocco's Tremonti Uber preset, and rocked out some Tremonti riffs... and nearly wet myself. And this was thru my Avatar 2x12. Can't WAIT to hear what it'll sound like thru my Port City Wave OS 2x12 when it gets here! :glee: \m/\m/

Hi I am the excact samme situation. Well, I'm waiting for my axe to be shipped, but I'm rehearsing with a 4x12 marshall cab loaded with eminence the wizard and the gorvenor.

I want to use a power amp but im pretty frustrated whether I should buy a cheap marshall 9100 or a SS 600W power madness amplifier? I've been looking at the Carver ga-250 because its cheap here in Denmark but the question is whether i should lean towards the ss or the tube amp=?

I have used a bunch of power amps so far.
My question to you would be what is your main sound and are you looking for full flexibility?
the Marshall based type amp models sound great thru a Marshall power amp, as do the Mesa models thru a Mesa power amp.
they color all of the other amp models a lot though, so this is where an amp like the Matrix comes in. no color at all but still
feels very "tube like". What your desired end result is will dictate your path.
my buddy is strictly a Marshall guy, we ran my unit thru his 9000 and he loved it, he'd be all set using that amp.
I would not.

Okay that clarifies alot!

My next question. Wouldn't any other (semi approved) ss power amp-brand be able to deliver the same result? I mean the axe can be tweaked and tweaked to make up for the differences? or am I wrong?

not always. I ran an Art SLA - which is class A/B - as my first power amp, and could never tweak that amp to make up for the differences. I switched to a VHT valve power amp for a year (which has the reputation of being about as neutral as a valve amp gets), then tried the Matrix GT800. The Matrix was better than the SLA by far, though not as good as the VHT valve power amp (though not by much), but that was so heavy I took it out of the rack. When the GT1000 came I out I switched, and the difference was so close I sold the VHT.

Ultimately, its the same as anything - you need to try things first. I an amp delivers what you want it doesnt matter if its "approved", "semi approved" or "not heard of". What you have on the forum is a lot of people who have tried a lot of amps, all coming to their own conclusion. The Matrix offerings are by far the most popular with very few detractors. The larger (ie not the DMC200) Carvin amps have their following - though I dont know of any who prefer the Carvin, I know of some who say its on par with the Matrix (so went Carvin because of the price). The Retro Channel also has its following - some saying its better than the Matrix, though its a fair chunk of weight and no cheaper (in fact in the EU its more expensive).

Best thing to do is try what you can and make a choice. If the Matrix is out of budget, look at whats in budget. If it IS in budget contact them as they are happy to give you a trial period.

And it's your playing style. I bet SRV could play the crap out of nearly every guitarist in here using the Axe and a ghetto-blaster.

Back
Top Bottom