So I took the plunge today an ordered a Matrix GT1000FX 1 U

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I've tried the power amp real cab thing in the past but never quite got to where I wanted it.
Now with V10.02 and the GT1000Fx I've decided to give it another try.
I'm going to keep my RCF (at least for the time being, I may move it and go with a passive FRR cab
if I like the feel of the Matrix).
I just ordered on line, did n't speak to anyone person to person, I wonder if there is any "trial window" here like Carvin and Atomic offer?
My next question is , to people who use this thing with real guitar cabs , what speakers are you using?
I've traditionally been a Mesa 2X12 guy but I'd like to find a stereo 2 X12 and load it with speakers that will
allow me to EQ Tweak" my different amp models so I can get close to matching my FRFR cab IR tones)
a few people have told me that the VHT/Fryette cabs work really well with the Axe. Maybe classic lead 80's or Mesa C90's?
Most of the stuff I play is pretty high gain IE shred, prog metal ,80's stuff
any suggestions? (must be 2X12 I have no room for a 4X12............unfortunately :(

Congrats and good luck bro...been contemplating the same idea but I'm gonna hang in there and wait for my CLR's. Did you go to the Bell Saturday?

The folks at Matrix are awesome. I believe they have a trial period.

The GT1000Fx is great. I run mine through two 1x12 custom cabs. I have a Celestion G12-75 in one cab and an EVM 12L in the other. It's a great combination for both lead and clean tones. I'm more of a classic rock guy though. I don't think you're ever going to get FRFR with a standard speaker.

I also have a RCF NX 12SMA, and also a Mesa 2:90, and keep going back and forth between the three setups. I still haven't figured out which way I'll go. With all the hype around the CLRs I may get a pair of those and try them out when they become available. With V10 the FRFR through the RCF is sounding better than ever. But then I'll play through the matrix or the boogie through the 1x12's and wow!

So the good news is that it all sounds great, it's just a matter of finding what you prefer. :)

Matrix is also coming out with a 2x12 (looks like a Port city OS ) that only weighs 28 pounds!

I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.

Last edited:
I've tried the power amp real cab thing in the past but never quite got to where I wanted it.
Now with V10.02 and the GT1000Fx I've decided to give it another try.
I'm going to keep my RCF (at least for the time being, I may move it and go with a passive FRR cab
if I like the feel of the Matrix).
I just ordered on line, did n't speak to anyone person to person, I wonder if there is any "trial window" here like Carvin and Atomic offer?
My next question is , to people who use this thing with real guitar cabs , what speakers are you using?
I've traditionally been a Mesa 2X12 guy but I'd like to find a stereo 2 X12 and load it with speakers that will
allow me to EQ Tweak" my different amp models so I can get close to matching my FRFR cab IR tones)
a few people have told me that the VHT/Fryette cabs work really well with the Axe. Maybe classic lead 80's or Mesa C90's?
Most of the stuff I play is pretty high gain IE shred, prog metal ,80's stuff
any suggestions? (must be 2X12 I have no room for a 4X12............unfortunately :(

Congrats Nick!

I have the GT800FX, and I use it with an Avatar Vintage OS 2x12 with Vintage 30s, which sounds really good, but I'm majorly G.A.S.'ing for one of those Port City OS 2x12 cabinets! If you're primarily playing high gain stuff, I'd stick with Vintage 30s. What is your budget for the speaker cabinet?

if I like what I hear and feel from the matrix I may go ahead and order a Port city 2X12. for now I'm trying to find something used that is more "palatable"
for the short term. someone local to me has a Budda 2X12 for a good price I may check out. I generally am a V30's guy but I also like the V30 Gh65 mix. I may need 2 2X12's :)

Hi there,
We do have a trial period in place to ensure that you are perfectly happy with your purchase.
We look forward to hearing your feedback and seeing a photo of your setup when you get a chance to take one.

My best regards
Matt

Hey Matt,
thanks for replying to my trial period question.
Just got an email from Pamela
I guess I'll be seeing shipping info shortly
thanks again, looking forward to testing this baby out :)
Nick
BTW I tried to pm you you're all full up.

Hey Matt,
thanks for replying to my trial period question.
Just got an email from Pamela
I guess I'll be seeing shipping info shortly
thanks again, looking forward to testing this baby out :)
Nick
BTW I tried to pm you you're all full up.

you're going to love the 1000, man. i switched to matrix a few months back, my 800 replaced my mesa stereo 50. i loved the stereo 50, dont get me wrong, but my rack was just getting too heavy. i don't miss it at all. The 800 brings the axe to life. i run mine through a stereo port city OS vertical 2x12 and it sounds amazing. just sounds killer :D

Reactions: LVC
you're going to love the 1000, man. i switched to matrix a few months back, my 800 replaced my mesa stereo 50. i loved the stereo 50, don't get me wrong, but my rack was just getting too heavy. i don't miss it at all. The 800 brings the axe to life. i run mine through a stereo port city OS vertical 2x12 and it sounds amazing. just sounds killer :D
good to hear , I use to run a Mesa 50/50 with my Axe into a Recto 2 X 12 cab and I really liked it but it made all of my patches sound like Mea's (duh)
Avatar is currently offering free shipping so I think I'm going to order one of the Vintage 2X12 with V30's and have him wire it as a stereo cab.
anything I'm seeing used that I'd like is going for around $400.00 on line without shipping. $439.00 shipped and in stereo is actually turning out to be an OK deal
so I think I may go that route (I've had several Avatar cabs they get the job done, I'm not gigging).
there is a port city 2X12 cab for sale but it's a 1rst generation cab anyone know how much of a diff there is between the gen 1's and the current designs?

Costwise Q12a powered cab will be less expensive than Matrix 1000fx + say CFR12...similar math for 2 powered Q12s vs Matrix 1000 Fx with two passive cabs...I wonder why not just one or two Q12a s? instead of the 1000

...Avatar is currently offering free shipping so I think I'm going to order one of the Vintage 2X12 with V30's and have him wire it as a stereo cab....

Cool Nick, that's exactly how I have mine setup. I did go for the semi-open back option, as I tend to prefer the sound of open back to closed back cabs, even for high gain. Did you go with Dave's Hellatone V30s, or the regular Celestion ones?

I went with the regular V30's I've tried the the hellatones and liked them , so I thought I would just mix it up for a change and try these.
If the rig works for me I will probably swap them out for a pair of the V30's they use in Mesa Cabs as those are voiced a little differently than the "stock" V30's are and I like them better. (more lower mid focused)
I've had a Traditional cab and a Contemporary cab so I thought I'd try the Vintage , again just to change it up.
I really loved the Contemporary but it's huge, it dwarfed my Recto 2X12 cab, I need something a little smaller this time around.
10 -14 days to arrive though. I'm going to need some time to evaluate this power amp, I'm hoping Matrix drags their feet a little bit on shipping it to me.

***edit*** changed my order to the hellatone 60's I liked them a lot the last time I had them in a cab.

Nagi, I have an RCF NX12SMA that I use for my FRFR, this is specifically for running with a regular guitar cab. I may go with a passive Atomic.Matrix/Xitone down the road an move the RCF if I love what the amp brings to the mix.
nice to suddenly have all of these options available to us modelers.

Last edited:
Ive got a marshal 1960 A cab with stock speakers. I believe gt75 or something? Its way better than my Splawn 4x12 with v30 knockoffs. The tone is bigger and louder rather than denser and more compact. I tried the FRFR way with 2 QSC K10's but couldnt get past the lack of "large" sound.

I wish I could go into a 4X12 but my ears can't take the volume anymore and I don't have the space for a 4X12. My wife would shoot me if she saw another 4X12 cab coming into the house LOL! there's someone local to me selling a Mesa 4X12 botton (stilleto) that is in mint shape too, for a great price. I ws very tempted but ...................................well you know :(

I wish I could go into a 4X12 but my ears can't take the volume anymore and I don't have the space for a 4X12. My wife would shoot me if she saw another 4X12 cab coming into the house LOL! there's someone local to me selling a Mesa 4X12 botton (stilleto) that is in mint shape too, for a great price. I ws very tempted but ...................................well you know :(

I buy used whenever I can so I can honestly answer the wifey "Is that new????"... me: "No".

...I really loved the Contemporary but it's huge, it dwarfed my Recto 2X12 cab, I need something a little smaller this time around....

Nick, just wanna make sure you know... the Avatar Vintage 2x12 is about 3/4 the size of a regular (let's say Marshall 1960) 4x12. The Vintage measures 30"W x 24.5"H x 12"D. The Contemporary measures 31"W x 21"H x 15"D.

Like I said, you may know all this, but just want to be sure you did! :)

thanks, I know the Contemporary is much deeper and a bit wider, if the matrix works for me I may get another one down the road.

out for delivery!!!! I will have this today. :)
so I have a question about using this amp.
for the time being I will be running it into an Orange 2X12 that is only mono. How Do I set up the Matrix if I'm only using one output (I assume that is safe to do with a SS amp?)

Back
Top Bottom