So I have this offer I'm milling over. Help?

NO
DO NOT DO IT

Here's why....

I do trades and buy gear all the time...
Don't do it because...

There is nothing easier to sell than an Axe Fx- it is as liquid as cash.
All my older units (std to ultra, ultra to 2mk1, 2mk1 to 2mk2, 2mk2 to XL)
Sold in two seconds, for cash- mostly local- at my asking price or more *by more i mean someone paid like 1700 for my standard to Canada when the II's were out already)

Anyway-
Those things he wants to sell you are TOUGH sells-
whats a used power brick worth?nothing
a used NS-2- $40 maybe?

There's no upside for you- its you trading liquid cash top notch gear for tough sells and you have to do all the work- there's no benefit except him getting a screaming deal

bad trade on your end- don't do it.

Setting aside the question of who would be getting the better deal, there's an overriding issue here: some guy is encouraging you to trade your rig for another guy's "AWESOME" rig, and he wants you to approach the other guy with an offer that the first guy spells out. There are a dozen ways that could go wrong.

Just saw this post and my first thoughts were, if his rig was really worth every penny as an Axe-Fx, then why doesn't he just sell all that stuff and buy a new Axe-Fx? It tells me that the sum of the gear is not enough to replace the Axe-Fx which means if you wanted another Axe-Fx down the line then you would have to shell out quite a bit to get one.

If this deal went through, then the other guy would be the one who scores big time.

Just saw this post and my first thoughts were, if his rig was really worth every penny as an Axe-Fx, then why doesn't he just sell all that stuff and buy a new Axe-Fx?
I haven't checked the location yet, but depending on where you are from, getting a new Axe might not only be way more expensive due to shipping, but also take a while.

Trading gear locally avoids the middleman of having to sell your gear for money (at a loss), then invest that money into a new purchase again (at a loss).

If the estimated value of the items match up is another story. But there is no reason to assume something is fishy just because he wants to trade instead of outright buy.

I haven't checked the location yet, but depending on where you are from, getting a new Axe might not only be way more expensive due to shipping, but also take a while.

Trading gear locally avoids the middleman of having to sell your gear for money (at a loss), then invest that money into a new purchase again (at a loss).

If the estimated value of the items match up is another story. But there is no reason to assume something is fishy just because he wants to trade instead of outright buy.

Fair point, I guess there are so many circumstances that could affect this and the location has a big impact which is something I didn't take into account. Over here in the UK the second hand Axe-Fx units sell for nearly as much as the new ones, which makes buying them used almost pointless unless if you get a really good deal.

Either way, I would hope that the OP gets a chance to compare the other guitarists gear (doing an A/B with the Axe even) before committing to such a deal.

NO
DO NOT DO IT

Here's why....

I do trades and buy gear all the time...
Don't do it because...

There is nothing easier to sell than an Axe Fx- it is as liquid as cash.
All my older units (std to ultra, ultra to 2mk1, 2mk1 to 2mk2, 2mk2 to XL)
Sold in two seconds, for cash- mostly local- at my asking price or more *by more i mean someone paid like 1700 for my standard to Canada when the II's were out already)

Anyway-
Those things he wants to sell you are TOUGH sells-
whats a used power brick worth?nothing
a used NS-2- $40 maybe?

There's no upside for you- its you trading liquid cash top notch gear for tough sells and you have to do all the work- there's no benefit except him getting a screaming deal

bad trade on your end- don't do it.

Agreed 100%. I get crazy offers for mine ALL. THE. TIME. And mine's not even for sale.

Back
Top Bottom