So I have this offer I'm milling over. Help?

kevrock

Experienced
So this guy wants to trade all the stuff in the pic plus 200 bucks for my axe fx II and gcp. I've always wanted to try out the archon. But I still think that that rig will get old after awhile. Idk. Opinions please.
28459ebd769322b10560fde96816620c.jpg

I agree that it'd get old...

the question is, what is your 'dream rig', and does selling the AXE get you to that dream rig?

in terms of $ value, you're probably trading up... the AXE will lose value faster than the Archon (especially after the AXE 3 comes out someday), but I wouldn't do the trade for $ value.

"So like I think" you seem to be giving up the Axe II you know For something you kinda want to try. Let's say you aren't thrilled, then what? Also the fact there is a third person would be a no go out of the gate for me.

I agree that it'd get old...

the question is, what is your 'dream rig', and does selling the AXE get you to that dream rig?

in terms of $ value, you're probably trading up... the AXE will lose value faster than the Archon (especially after the AXE 3 comes out someday), but I wouldn't do the trade for $ value.

I disagree. I think you're trading sideways in that deal, with the Axe more likely to hold its value over time.

"So like I think" you seem to be giving up the Axe II you know For something you kinda want to try. Let's say you aren't thrilled, then what? Also the fact there is a third person would be a no go out of the gate for me.

Well said. Maybe I'm just restless. Lol

And I think the axe will hold its value as long as a amp head I would think

$ values always depend on who's buying and why, in the eye of the beholder. my axe is worth 200 + tube rigs.

I wouldn't do it either. Like most of us, your taste for styles and tone will change over the years. Amps, cabs, effects, guitars, pickups, etc. His rig won't offer even a fraction of the flexibility of the Axe. Plus you have to retube it which can be costly depending on the tubes you purchase. His rig = money pit and minimal flexibility. Axe = insane amounts of flexibility and it keeps getting better with each update. Just my 0.02 though. ;)

Why anyone would want to get off the Fractal bus eludes me. In this day and age when you can get so close that its indistinguishable from the actual amp, you would be a fool to let it go unless you had an extra one to get rid of. Not calling you a fool, just anybody who doesn't see what they have right in front of them. I dreamed of a device like this when I was a kid. I'm 48 yrs old, my style has changed drastically from when I first started, my taste in amps has changed as well, only because of a device like this. I know I could never play a Marshall or Fender amp to the loudness that gets to the sweet spot. This isn't the future its the now, thats what Matt said once when describing Tosin Abasi, at the AXE-FEST a few yrs ago. I agree that this as well, when describing The AXE-FX at this very moment in time.

Why anyone would want to get off the Fractal bus eludes me. In this day and age when you can get so close that its indistinguishable from the actual amp, you would be a fool to let it go unless you had an extra one to get rid of. Not calling you a fool, just anybody who doesn't see what they have right in front of them. I dreamed of a device like this when I was a kid. I'm 48 yrs old, my style has changed drastically from when I first started, my taste in amps has changed as well, only because of a device like this. I know I could never play a Marshall or Fender amp to the loudness that gets to the sweet spot. This isn't the future its the now, thats what Matt said once when describing Tosin Abasi, at the AXE-FEST a few yrs ago. I agree that this as well, when describing The AXE-FX at this very moment in time.

Only (semi) legit reason I can think of is some folks want something where they hit one switch and get sound... not tone chasers, tweakers, guys willing to read the manual... I think intimidation is probably the closest word for it. When I first got my AFX I thought I had made a huge mistake. Now that I'm pretty comfy using it, adjusting advanced parameters, creating my digital signal chain, etc., I couldn't dream of going back.

As far as holding value, anything digital will lose value over time. Ask anyone who sold an Axe Standard or Ultra after the II came out. With a digital rig, your rig will get "iPhoned" at some point down the road. It's just the nature of the beast.

The question is, do you want a real tube rig over the versatility of the AxeFX? In an ideal world, you could have both!

As far as holding value, anything digital will lose value over time. Ask anyone who sold an Axe Standard or Ultra after the II came out. With a digital rig, your rig will get "iPhoned" at some point down the road. It's just the nature of the beast.

The question is, do you want a real tube rig over the versatility of the AxeFX? In an ideal world, you could have both!

From the viewpoint of technology constantly advancing, yes, you're right.
That said, the Axe-II will still sound great, even when we're looking at the Axe-X.
So, are we only concerned with value in dollars (in which case we would never buy anything, constantly waiting for some sort of guitar gear singularity - which this might actually be), or are we more concerned with value in tone/flexibility?

From the viewpoint of technology constantly advancing, yes, you're right.
That said, the Axe-II will still sound great, even when we're looking at the Axe-X.
So, are we only concerned with value in dollars (in which case we would never buy anything, constantly waiting for some sort of guitar gear singularity - which this might actually be), or are we more concerned with value in tone/flexibility?

You're right. In 10-20 years time the AxeFX II will still sound just as good as it does today. In fact, if someone wanted to never again updated their firmware and stick with 17.04, they would have a rack that could give a lifetime of professional-tones plus a suite of studio-grade effects that would never sound out of date.

Contrast this with your computer, which after a couple of years won't run the latest software. Or your smartphone that after a few years won't run the latest apps, OS and at some point won't even connect to a network. Or a video game that may look fantastic today, but in a few years will look dated and cheesy.

I've been a fan of the AxeFX for years, having the Ultra and then the II. I still buy pedals and maintain a full "traditional" pedalboard. In fact, just a few days ago I finally bought the amp of my dreams (Tone King Sky King). As powerful as the Axe is, sometimes I just want to twist a couple of knobs and have a great tone. I don't think the Sky King is capable of a bad tone because it is designed from the ground up, with a real speaker, quality cabinet and great components. You get a fantastic tone just by virtue of having the amp on. A few twists of the knobs or flips of the switches gets you variations on that solid foundation tone.

The AxeFX is designed for a guitarist as well as a dedicated studio engineer. It's depth is vast as well as it's flexibility nearly limitless. A lot of players find it to be a simpler solution, especially those who have had to haul heavy stacks to gigs, deal with cable capacitance, temperamental pedals, changing tubes, having to attenuate to get their tones at levels that won't get the police called. Then again, with the AxeFX you need to consider monitors (which can cost more than the AxeFX itself), MIDI controllers, MIDI programming (if you're not using an MFC) and tweaking. It is quite possible to make the AxeFX sound terrible. The AxeFX gives you a lot of rope, but enough to hang yourself if you don't know what you're doing. I've been caught into the trap of obsessively tweaking a patch to the point where I forget to just practice. At the end of the day, you're content in the knowledge that you're getting a facsimile of a real, perfectly-mic'd, amp's tone.....but not the real amp itself. Mind you, it's a VERY good facsimile...the bleeding edge of technology, but not the real thing. This bothers some people, others are happy to eat their Matrix steak ;-)

The question is what matters more to the player?

Last edited:
You're right. In 10-20 years time the AxeFX II will still sound just as good as it does today. In fact, if someone wanted to never again updated their firmware and stick with 17.04, they would have a rack that could give a lifetime of professional-tones plus a suite of studio-grade effects that would never sound out of date.

Contrast this with your computer, which after a couple of years won't run the latest software. Or your smartphone that after a few years won't run the latest apps, OS and at some point won't even connect to a network. Or a video game that may look fantastic today, but in a few years will look dated and cheesy.

I've been a fan of the AxeFX for years, having the Ultra and then the II. I still buy pedals and maintain a full "traditional" pedalboard. In fact, just a few days ago I finally bought the amp of my dreams (Tone King Sky King). As powerful as the Axe is, sometimes I just want to twist a couple of knobs and have a great tone. I don't think the Sky King is capable of a bad tone because it is designed from the ground up, with a real speaker, quality cabinet and great components. You get a fantastic tone just by virtue of having the amp on. A few twists of the knobs or flips of the switches gets you variations on that solid foundation tone.

The AxeFX is designed for a guitarist as well as a dedicated studio engineer. It's depth is vast as well as it's flexibility nearly limitless. A lot of players find it to be a simpler solution, especially those who have had to haul heavy stacks to gigs, deal with cable capacitance, temperamental pedals, changing tubes, having to attenuate to get their tones at levels that won't get the police called. Then again, with the AxeFX you need to consider monitors (which can cost more than the AxeFX itself), MIDI controllers, MIDI programming (if you're not using an MFC) and tweaking. It is quite possible to make the AxeFX sound terrible. The AxeFX gives you a lot of rope, but enough to hang yourself if you don't know what you're doing. I've been caught into the trap of obsessively tweaking a patch to the point where I forget to just practice. At the end of the day, you're content in the knowledge that you're getting a facsimile of a real, perfectly-mic'd, amp's tone.....but not the real amp itself. Mind you, it's a VERY good facsimile...the bleeding edge of technology, but not the real thing. This bothers some people, others are happy to eat their Matrix steak ;-)

The question is what matters more to the player?

Ignorance is bliss :D

Back
Top Bottom