So frustrated I want to throw the AX8 in the Trash

No. It's problem with Chrome on all OSes. See:

It depends, apparently, on how many MIDI devices you have available for Chrome to consider. Chrome prefers my Focusrite and never tries to interact with my AX8. But I did nothing to steer it to the Focusrite or away from the AX8. They offer no control over this feature, not even within chrome://flags/ ...

Very interesting...My laptop is only being used on the rig, and those are the only 2 things I have connected, but when connected to my PC at home, I do have a Presonus Audiobox. No problems that I can recall, but truthfully it's been a while since I've had the AX8 hooked up to that PC...I'll have to check this out.

I wish I had never posted this thread. The only thing I can thing in opposition to that is that maybe some come after me, maybe can learn from it.

My cables were not bad, it is an issue with the AX8 that I hope will get worked out in future updates. The fix to it, is to simply power off the AX8, unplug the USB from both the computer and the AX8, reboot, and reconnect. All is good after that.

AX8 edit can be so clunky and the time outs, yuck, having to reboot everything. You can't turnoff the AX without a big pop so you have turn off your speaker. So tedious.. frustrating. I wish FAS would take a page from the eventideH9 playbook. Now that is an eloquent interface. For such a stellar sounding product to have the editor like it is,it is a bit disappointing.

AX8 edit can be so clunky and the time outs, yuck, having to reboot everything. You can't turnoff the AX without a big pop so you have turn off your speaker. So tedious.. frustrating. I wish FAS would take a page from the eventideH9 playbook. Now that is an eloquent interface. For such a stellar sounding product to have the editor like it is,it is a bit disappointing.
That is one thing that really bothers me, I would have to imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to put into the operating system, and have a delayed effect from when you turned it off, until it actually cut off the signal going to whatever it's feeding, in my case I freidman CLR as well as my studio monitors.

Hey Barry,
I too have a Mac Pro 2013 running macOS Sierra (and all OSX versions since 2013). It's a great computer!

This post caught my eye:
GibsonLesPaul:
"Workaround is to first start AX8
Then connect usb cable
Then open AX8Edit"

And I can even simplify that by experience:
If I start AX8Edit before powering on the AX8, AX8Edit sometimes fails to connect.
So I always
1) Power up AX8 (my usb cable is always connected to my Mac)
2) Start AX8 Edit

I do that because if I start AX8Edit before starting the AX8 AX8Edit may or may not connect.
It could be that most if not all of your usb cables are fine (you could check that quite easily with a printer, external drive, or any other device that requires USB). I completely agree that the odds of 10 bad USB cables are very very long.

It always works when I power up the AX8 first and then start AX8Edit. Most likely you've already tried this, it could be a problem with your hardware, but as an IT guy, experience suggests it's quite rare that problems like this are hardware related. Hardware troubleshooting is usually the last option in a chain of discovery.

I do the same thing. AX8 first followed by AX8-Edit. I generally leave the USB cable connected and have no issues with that. I started doing this procedure after having issues with AX8-Edit starting first then hanging, or the AX8 hanging. I must say though that I have not tried doing this in a different order for a number of months. It might be okay now - but why change is it aint broke!

I hope you'll get your problem solved, I know how frustrating this can be.
When I got my AX8 I first installed the Fractal USB drivers (windows machine). AX8-Edit could not see my device until I realized my mistake and uninstalled the drivers because they were not necessary....

You find the AX8 Edit disappointing?? WOW

You find the AX8 Edit disappointing?? WOW

That was too strong a word. I just wish it behaved a bit smoother, just little stuff. I was comparing to H9control which has blutooth integration IOS compatibility ect. With the h9 you can do real time control from the ipad. Hooking an AX8 to a laptop or PC or WN10tablet with a USB cable is clunky in comparison. With the pause communications , unpause, click the block again to resume editing blah blah blah.

That was too strong a word. I just wish it behaved a bit smoother, just little stuff. I was comparing to H9control which has blutooth integration IOS compatibility ect. With the h9 you can do real time control from the ipad. Hooking an AX8 to a laptop or PC or WN10tablet with a USB cable is clunky in comparison. With the pause communications , unpause, click the block again to resume editing blah blah blah.

So, its about mobile integration then. I agree and it has been asked for many years, maybe some day. The good part is that the tone of the unit surpasses anything else that's missing with OS integration, and that's what's most important, IMO.

So, its about mobile integration then. I agree and it has been asked for many years, maybe some day. The good part is that the tone of the unit surpasses anything else that's missing with OS integration, and that's what's most important, IMO.
My feelings too, I do like my AX very much. Nothing in this world is perfect.

There are user's that uses a window tablet with axe edit to control the AX-8 by using an otg cable,
theres a thread somewere in the forum, yes axe edit i laggy,slow,timeouts and other stuff,but im sure it will be
better in time.Had the H9 also,nice unit and smooth.
Sorry,i missed the tablet part further up, but wouldnt that be pretty smooth,maybe with a bluetooth
to midi controller,making it all wireless.

Kinda surprised that Eventide has not got in the market of a real multi effect floorboard unit expanding on the H9. Something like 4 H9's in one unit. I think it would sell with their effect quality reputation along with bluetooth editing.

Living in Australia, this unit costs almost twice as much as it does in hte USA. If wireless / bluetooth integration were to make it into the unit, I'm sure costs would go up and then this thing just gets out of the price range for people like me. Whilst the glitchy thing can be a bit frustrating at times when building / tweaking patches, I'm happy to live with that because of everything else this unit gives me. All of these ideas about other integration etc are great - add them to the wish list which is floating around somewhere on the forum. That way more people can support your ideas for improvement and who knows, maybe hte next release will have some of your ideas incorporated into it.

I wish I had never posted this thread. The only thing I can thing in opposition to that is that maybe some come after me, maybe can learn from it.

My cables were not bad, it is an issue with the AX8 that I hope will get worked out in future updates. The fix to it, is to simply power off the AX8, unplug the USB from both the computer and the AX8, reboot, and reconnect. All is good after that.
This is interesting. I've read all the way through this to see where you ended up, Barry. The only issue I have run into connecting my AX8 to my iMac has been using a USB cord longer than a standard 2M length... seems to be hit or miss with my 15 footers. I was going to ask about the cable length you're using and see if your experience was similar. I know others have used longer USB cables, but my experience with them wasn't great.

The AX8 manual states that the USB connector is a USB 2.0 type B connector, but Cliff stated above that the AX8 uses USB 1.1 for communication, so it may have a shorter max cable length compared to the Axe II. USB 1.1 spec states 3 meters is the max length. USB 2.0, like that on the Axe II, is 5 meters. Might explain some issues with longer cables.

I'm using a 2010 iMac and have no dropout or disconnect issues between the AX8 and AX8-Edit. As others have said, the editor is clunky and slow, but it has been rock solid for me. I think my USB cable is about 2 meters. I do not have Chrome installed on my computer.

Good luck getting it resolved. These types of issues can be so frustrating. I'm just posting to let you know that there are iMac users who are not having the same issues.

Back
Top Bottom