Small DAW surface controllers (Streamdeck etc)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Recently replaced my computer and my old Steinberg CMC DAW controllers are no longer supported with my OS (Mac Ventura). If you don't know the CMC modules they are older controllers made by Steinberg for tight integration with Cubase. About the size of your hand. The main functions I used were the Transport and Channel controllers. They were a main part of my workflow. So now I'm looking for replacements. Looking for suggestions. Something small. No need for faders. off the top of my head there is the Presonus Faderport which seems mostly Transport focused...and the Behringer Xtouch one.

What are your favorite controllers right now?

Im taking a hard look at Elgato Stream Deck. If anyone is using this let me know how its working out for you

Last edited:
I have not used my Stream Deck XL as a controller but I do a ton of other work with it and it is awesome. I've had it since the XLs came out and it's been priceless for other workflows and computer controls.

Someone does make a plugin for Cubase on the Stream Deck. If any DAW I use had a plugin I'd be using it for sure!

Recently replaced my computer and my old Steinberg CMC DAW controllers are no longer supported with my OS (Mac Ventura). If you don't know the CMC modules they are older controllers made by Steinberg for tight integration with Cubase. About the size of your hand. The main functions I used were the Transport and Channel controllers. They were a main part of my workflow. So now I'm looking for replacements. Looking for suggestions. Something small. No need for faders. off the top of my head there is the Presonus Faderport which seems mostly Transport focused...and the Behringer Xtouch one.

What are your favorite controllers right now?

Im taking a hard look at Elgato Stream Deck. If anyone is using this let me know how its working out for you
I'm also using Cubase, but on Win10.

I've been using the Stream Deck XL and a preset pack for Cubase from SideshowFX since last June.

I'm really liking it! The SDXL was fairly easy to setup with Cubase and the presets from SideshowFX saved me a lot of time.

On the SDXL, I have buttons dedicated to the things I use most on the main screen, plus extras on a sub-screen.

Here are a few pics of my setup.

Attachments

• 20230422_142616.jpg
    20230422_142616.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230422_142624.jpg
    20230422_142624.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230422_142633.jpg
    20230422_142633.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230422_144358.jpg
    20230422_144358.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
I'm also using Cubase, but on Win10.

I've been using the Stream Deck XL and a preset pack for Cubase from SideshowFX since last June.

I'm really liking it! The SDXL was fairly easy to setup with Cubase and the presets from SideshowFX saved me a lot of time.

On the SDXL, I have buttons dedicated to the things I use most on the main screen, plus extras on a sub-screen.

Here are a few pics of my setup.
in my google trek earlier today I came across the Sideshow FX that you mention. Looks like someone really programmed the crap out of that! looked sweet. Good to know it works so well. I may very well pick up the XL and the preset pack. In addition, also considering the Monogram CC. mainly the orbiter module and maybe two of the knobs modules. But damn oh damn the prices on the monogram stuff.

Last edited:
in my google trek earlier today I came across the Sideshow FX that you mention. Looks like someone really programmed the crap out of that! looked sweet. Good to know it works so well. I may very well pick up the XL and the preset pack. In addition, also considering the Monogram CC. mainly the orbiter module and maybe two of the knobs modules. But damn oh damn the prices on the monogram stuff.
Cool.

There are a lot of things I could do with the Stream Deck, but the only other thing I've done is add some controls for AxeEdit, but rarely use them.

Haven't heard of Monogram, I'll check them out.

these two vids i came across put the monogram CC on my radar for some time now. I never had a reason until now to look at other controllers.

This is slightly dated and you may have already covered this ground, but it’s not too long and there might be something you can glean from it. I had watched it when he first posted it and Cubase 12 was new. I thought I would link to it. I like this guy. He uses Cubase and has a lot of good information.

I use the keyboard and shortcut keys. Honestly works about as quick as most control surfaces I’ve owned and often the lack of automation, tiny buttons, no auto focus et al make the smaller ones less than useful in most cases as your still doing so much with the mouse. I have the keyboard on the desk anyways so it really works pretty darn well to arm tracks, set market points, transport control etc.

Had the Korg nanos, Behringer x touch, SSL, softube and probably some I forgot and none of them really did everything I wanted when I wanted it so still always lots of mouse use required.

Even thought about the Raven stuff but then it kind of hit me that the mouse is actually a pretty handy tool and why am I trying to avoid it ?

I use the keyboard and shortcut keys. Honestly works about as quick as most control surfaces I’ve owned and often the lack of automation, tiny buttons, no auto focus et al make the smaller ones less than useful in most cases as your still doing so much with the mouse. I have the keyboard on the desk anyways so it really works pretty darn well to arm tracks, set market points, transport control etc.

Had the Korg nanos, Behringer x touch, SSL, softube and probably some I forgot and none of them really did everything I wanted when I wanted it so still always lots of mouse use required.

Even thought about the Raven stuff but then it kind of hit me that the mouse is actually a pretty handy tool and why am I trying to avoid it ?
I bet your eyesight is still good. Using a mouse to controls faders and knobs on soft synths suck now that my cellular regeneration has started on its downward spiral to disintegration. I also really hate when the mouse cursor hides the value.

I’m being a bit hyperbolic, but some simple well made controllers with accurate, smooth faders and knobs can be helpful.

The Monogram stuff looks pretty cool, but the next batch of them isn’t due out till September? That kinda sucks.
I like Guy's vids. I subscribe to his YT channel. I just noticed that as well when checking Monogram website. That and the high cost isn't enticing me at all. I ordered the Stream deck XL which gives me 32 immediate buttons. I was looking at my CMC modules and I could incorporate pretty much every function there in the STream deck so I think that will be an excellent choice. also save me a few spots in my USB hub. I was using 3 for my CMC's. What I'll miss the most was the AI knob from the one CMC module. hover mouse and that knob just integrated so well on whatever was on my Cubase screen. Kind of what I was thinking the Monogram Orbiter might do but it's honestly not such a huge need. Just handy. I could manage transport functions on my other peripherals such as my Midi keyboards or I could always jsut pick up Presonus faderport. Looking into that one right now...

I like Guy's vids. I subscribe to his YT channel. I just noticed that as well when checking Monogram website. That and the high cost isn't enticing me at all. I ordered the Stream deck XL which gives me 32 immediate buttons. I was looking at my CMC modules and I could incorporate pretty much every function there in the STream deck so I think that will be an excellent choice. also save me a few spots in my USB hub. I was using 3 for my CMC's. What I'll miss the most was the AI knob from the one CMC module. hover mouse and that knob just integrated so well on whatever was on my Cubase screen. Kind of what I was thinking the Monogram Orbiter might do but it's honestly not such a huge need. Just handy. I could manage transport functions on my other peripherals such as my Midi keyboards or I could always jsut pick up Presonus faderport. Looking into that one right now...
Yep, I'm interested in the Orbiter as well as the 3 slider module even with the cost, but just deciding if I want to wait till Sept. or not.

picking up the Presonus Faderport V2 for a dedicated Transport controller; I will likely revisit monogram near the fall once they're available again. They are very cool indeed! Especially how modular the design is.

Last edited:
I used a monogram for a bit. it's a great controller and easy to use. I had a faderport and could never get it to work with cubase. Monogram has an older model that you might be able to find used. I had that one and it worked great.

Last edited:
I used a monogram for a bit. it's a great controller and easy to use. I had a faderport and could never get it to work with cubase. Monogram has an older model that you might be able to find used. I had that one and it worked great.
What kind of issues did you have with Faderport? I read there were reported issues with track following past track 8 but someone created a midi script to correct apparently.

my Streamdeck XL is arriving today. Will be purchasing the profile pack from sideshow fx for sure and i see there's one for Ableton Live too! . Also saw this vid on youtube today showing how you can setup a virtual patch pay on Ableton with the Streamdeck. I suspect this new device will become a central part of my workflow moving forward. Blessing in disguise actually that my older Steinberg hardware no longer compatible. Ordered a magnetic quick mount for the streamdeck from Etsy that i can connect to camera mounting hardware to clamp on my desk.
Deskspace is sparse.

Curious how those with the Streamdeck are incorporating with Axe Edit?!...

if you have an old numerical keypad lying around, you can use "usb overdrive" (mac only) to translate key presses into keyboard shortcuts. dunno if there's a windows version. disadvantages - not really enough buttons. advantages - lovely feel. i ended up making my own daw controller in lemur, running on an old ipad air.

found a pic of it. printed off the icons and glued them to the buttons. i forgot it was wireless, too!

25443115_10156056725716095_1784513090663595794_n.jpg

if you have an old numerical keypad lying around, you can use "usb overdrive" (mac only) to translate key presses into keyboard shortcuts. dunno if there's a windows version. disadvantages - not really enough buttons. advantages - lovely feel. i ended up making my own daw controller in lemur, running on an old ipad air.

found a pic of it. printed off the icons and glued them to the buttons. i forgot it was wireless, too!

View attachment 120073
Very cool @simeon! you are Iron Man.

View attachment 120073
Looks a LOT like a Stream Deck!

Back
Top Bottom