Small DAW surface controllers (Streamdeck etc)

my Streamdeck XL is arriving today. Will be purchasing the profile pack from sideshow fx for sure and i see there's one for Ableton Live too! . Also saw this vid on youtube today showing how you can setup a virtual patch pay on Ableton with the Streamdeck. I suspect this new device will become a central part of my workflow moving forward. Blessing in disguise actually that my older Steinberg hardware no longer compatible. Ordered a magnetic quick mount for the streamdeck from Etsy that i can connect to camera mounting hardware to clamp on my desk.
Deskspace is sparse.

Curious how those with the Streamdeck are incorporating with Axe Edit?!...

Stream Deck and Axe Edit: I setup only three buttons; tuner, preset level, and preset manager. Those were easy.

I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out other functions. For example, I'd really like to be able to switch Input 1 between Analog and Digital to speed-up my workflow when reamping. I just use a knob on the Performance Page for that now.

I think you'll like working with the Stream Deck XL.

i have to say, lemur was one of the best purchases i've ever made. theyve been bought by another company now, so are offline for a bit, but i'm interested to see what happens with them. i've made so much useful stuff with it and i barely know half of what it does. very deep. i was actually thinking of buying a streamdeck and then saved myself a wodge of cash by connecting lemur to better touch tool. i was also thinking of buying a behringer control one and then saved myself another wodge of cash by making something in lemur. uad console control? lemur. can't see the labels on my footcontroller? lemur. x/y pad and general midi controller? lemur. saved myself so much money!

Attachments

• IMG_0198.PNG
    IMG_0198.PNG
    211.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0199.PNG
    IMG_0199.PNG
    359.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0200.PNG
    IMG_0200.PNG
    324.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0201.PNG
    IMG_0201.PNG
    313.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0202.PNG
    IMG_0202.PNG
    198.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0203.PNG
    IMG_0203.PNG
    232.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0204.PNG
    IMG_0204.PNG
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0218.PNG
    IMG_0218.PNG
    165.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0217.PNG
    IMG_0217.PNG
    274.2 KB · Views: 12
i have to say, lemur was one of the best purchases i've ever made. theyve been bought by another company now, so are offline for a bit, but i'm interested to see what happens with them. i've made so much useful stuff with it and i barely know half of what it does. very deep. i was actually thinking of buying a streamdeck and then saved myself a wodge of cash by connecting lemur to better touch tool. i was also thinking of buying a behringer control one and then saved myself another wodge of cash by making something in lemur. uad console control? lemur. can't see the labels on my footcontroller? lemur. x/y pad and general midi controller? lemur. saved myself so much money!
Dang, you kinda had me interested in this, but it looks like lemur is no more........no.gif

https://liine.net/

Stream Deck and Axe Edit: I setup only three buttons; tuner, preset level, and preset manager. Those were easy.

I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out other functions. For example, I'd really like to be able to switch Input 1 between Analog and Digital to speed-up my workflow when reamping. I just use a knob on the Performance Page for that now.

I think you'll like working with the Stream Deck XL.
Got the Streamdeck connected and setup last night. Man , the sideshow fx profile is totally worth it! the amount of programming hundreds of shortcuts in cubase is more than worth the price tag. Pretty extensive. My faderport single fader unit is coming in mail today but after messing about with the streamdeck even a few minutes I'm wondering how necessary the Faderport is now. Only advantage there is the motorized fader. Will figure out if I keep that or not. Streamdeck is not going anywhere! Wish i had one long ago. At first i was gutted my CMC controllers were no longer useful. roughly 30 combined buttons. But with the Streamdeck i have 32 immediate buttons and countless pages/scenes.

Last edited:
Got the Streamdeck connected and setup last night. Man , the sideshow fx profile is totally worth it! the amount of programming hundreds of shortcuts in cubase is more than worth the price tag. Pretty extensive. My faderport single fader unit is coming in mail today but after messing about with the streamdeck even a few minutes I'm wondering how necessary the Faderport is now. Only advantage there is the motorized fader. Will figure out if I keep that or not. Streamdeck is not going anywhere! Wish i had one long ago. At first i was gutted my CMC controllers were no longer useful. roughly 30 combined buttons. But with the Streamdeck i have 32 immediate buttons and countless pages/scenes.
Glad you're liking the Stream Deck XL and SideshowFX stuff - I thought you would!

I find I'm using just one page of 32 buttons 90% of the time with Cubase. I'd like to figure out how to do more with Axe-Edit.
I suspect I'll only need/use the one page as well. Now I'm seeing where else I can use it for daily productivity. Fairly straightforward layout and getting used to how it works...pages, folders vs profiles etc. I gotta check Axe Edit documentation to see what keyboard shortcuts are available. Perhaps I'll work on that later today after work.

Faderport V2 came yesterday. It is much larger than I thought. I used to have the legacy model years ago which was much smaller. Shall see how it goes. I do like the idea of a dedicated simple Transport controller. The streamdeck for everything else.

Also, I was looking at Sideshows website as I wanted a pro profile for Ableton Live but at the time only Windows version. I chatted with the store and was told a Mac version is coming out in May should anyone need to know. They do have a basic shortcuts profile for Ableton for Windows/Mac just not the Pro profile yet...

Last edited:
Didn't realize Axe Edit had this many shortcuts. I'll be programming these later for sure.

Attachments

• Axe Edit.jpg
    Axe Edit.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 29
Didn't realize Axe Edit had this many shortcuts. I'll be programming these later for sure.
I just added buttons to my SD Axe-Edit profile for a few things.

I included a button to switch to my Cubase profile that also brings Cubase to the foreground. Also, made room on my Cubase profile to switch to AE. So, now I can bounce back and forth between the two profiles and apps.

Attachments

• 20230427_161916.jpg
    20230427_161916.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230427_161909.jpg
    20230427_161909.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
I just added buttons to my SD Axe-Edit profile for a few things.

I included a button to switch to my Cubase profile that also brings Cubase to the foreground. Also, made room on my Cubase profile to switch to AE. So, now I can bounce back and forth between the two profiles and apps.
And, if clicking between the two apps with the mouse, the profiles automatically switch. Didn't have to do anything to get that to work, it just does.

Sweet. I'm starting to customize my homepage better now. Utilizing some folders that house multiple programs within a family and discovered you can use Gif's for the icon. neat stuff. My top left is just a toggle between profiles for Cubase and Ableton Live so far. Today got this great clamp/camera adapter which is perfect to put on corner of my desk to my left which is where I want the SD situated. I'm just waiting for this magnetic mounting plate from Etsy someone 3D printed for the SD that will attach to the clamp. The clamp has multiple points to connect the articulating adapter. One of those simple but awesome little finds.

Attachments

• SD.jpeg
    SD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • clamp.jpeg
    clamp.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
the 3D printed magnetic mounting plate for my Streamdeck arrived today. works like a charm! 1/4" screw connection on back to connect to any kind of adapter clamp etc. I have zero room left on my desktop so this is perfect solution. 100% recommend this mounting plate. perfect cut and magnets are nice and strong.

Attachments

• Streamdeck mount.jpg
    Streamdeck mount.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Streamdeck mount1.jpg
    Streamdeck mount1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a StreamDeck, which is very useful for tracking / editing work. When I focus on mixing / mastering, I use a Behringer X-Touch, which is a fantastic mid-size solution in my small studio. It's compact enough that I can park it off the side of my desk, and when it's not needed, I just unplug it and store it in a drawer.

Back
Top Bottom