Slick! Glowing MFC

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
So my magnetic labels have deteriorated to the point where they are useless to me; they were just plain wore out.

I got a tip about glowing Gaffer's tape and with shipping to Michigan it was around $16. The result? Function over form; but it's pretty slick looking.

Here's a link to the tape: TecNec Gaffers Tape Glow In The Dark - 1/2 to 2 Inch Widths x 10 Yards - TecNec the Worlds Finest Gaffers Tape at Markertek.com

Checked it out in a dark room with no lights - very hip looking. You can even read the writing pretty easily.

Here's the board now:

Closer Look:

We'll see how this holds up. Easy to work with, Well over 1/2 the roll left if I need it after all that. Pretty cool.

You wore out the newer 1mm magnetic labels?

How long did they last and how much abuse?

No - first gen stuff. Two or three years? The backings were separating from the labels, the 'frames' were all ripping apart. I use my gear a lot, I gig almost every week.

No - first gen stuff. Two or three years? The backings were separating from the labels, the 'frames' were all ripping apart. I use my gear a lot, I gig almost every week.

Whew!.....I was thinking you must be using football cleats!

I thought I read in an earlier thread that you picked up the newer thicker labels?x

So Scott...spill the beans already. How are you implementing "Talkbox?"

You wore out the newer 1mm magnetic labels?

How long did they last and how much abuse?

My newer ones are nearly done -- the surrounds are deteriorating. I actually ordered some of this same gaffers tape via Amazon Prime on Sunday night to replace them. The printed labels separated from the magnet base rather easily, and once I had a bit of exposed raw paper it wasn' much time from there to start losing the surrounds. Plus, I had issues with the surrounds falling off and sticking to cables I liked to throw in my case with the board.

Tape is simple. Cheap.

Wow this gave me a great idea. I've been thinking about painting my MFC-101 bc a lot of the original paint has chipped off. I think I'm going to paint it w/ glow in the dark paint. I painted the metal grill on my old Peavey 412MS cab with Glow in the dark paint almost 20 years ago and it still glows.

I originally was going to make my own magnetic glow in the dark labels with the supplies below:

Laser Glow In The Dark Adhesive Sheets - Lime Green - 8.5 in x 11 in - 10 Sheets $19.95
Texascraft.com - The eCommerce store of Papilio, manufacturer of specialty Inkjet and Laser media

Inkjet Matte White Magnetic Business Cards - 8.5 in. x 11in. - Matte White - 6 Sheets (60 Cards) $12.94
Papilio Inkjet Matte White Magnetic Business Cards - 6 Sheets (60 Cards)

Polyfocus Satin Laminate Sheets - Semi-Gloss Clear - 9.25 in x 12 in - 20 Sheets $15.84
Polyfocus Satin Laminate Sheets - Semi-Gloss Clear - 9.25 in x 12 in - 20 Sheets

Back
Top Bottom