single CLR, output 1 stereo or copy l+r ??

kloppsta

Hi all,

I am hoping to pick up an atomic CLR soon to use with my axe 2 and I am wondering how I should set output 1 in GLOBAL......to stereo or to copy l+r ?

since I am only going to be using a single speaker and will be using it for practice, home jams and stage volume when gigging which would be the best setting, or doesn't it really matter? I use a single cab block with no mic.

output 2 would be sending my signal to FOH when gigging so I guess that should be set to stereo right?

lastly, I notice the CLR has two inputs on the back....(http://i.imgur.com/3DF4c5d.jpg) should I be running two cables from the output L + R on the back of the Axe Fx into the two inputs on the CLR, or will a single cable going from the L output on the axe fx to one of the inputs on the CLR do the trick?

Im just a bit confused as to how the mono/stereo thing works and how I should be hooking it up.

appreciate any advice you can throw my way! :) thanks

You may be over thinking things a bit.

Just take ONE 1/4" instrument cable from your Output 1 L into one of the inputs of your CLR.

Thats it. You now have a mono signal taken from the left channel.

FOH can then be taken from the same Output 1, but run them from the XLR jacks above the 1/4" jacks.

This is how I've run my AxeFX for 3 years.

You may be over thinking things a bit.

Just take ONE 1/4" instrument cable from your Output 1 L into one of the inputs of your CLR.

Thats it. You now have a mono signal taken from the left channel.

FOH can then be taken from the same Output 1, but run them from the XLR jacks above the 1/4" jacks.

This is how I've run my AxeFX for 3 years.

Thanks Gamedojo! That helps heaps :) But just to clarify, should I set the OUTPUT 1 on the axe to Stereo or Copy L+R ?

It depends on how your presets are set up.

If your presets are all mono, it won't matter how you have the output configured.

If you have presets that have some difference between right and left channels, use L+R SUM (otherwise, you won't hear some of the signal)...

...unless you have presets with out-of-phase signals going to one channel; those presets won't sound right when summed to mono. In that case, choose either stereo or COPY L->R, and accept the fact that you won't hear part of the sound in your stereo presets.

A possible advantage to using output2 and output 1 to separate the signal intended for two different destinations is having the two output knobs on front so if you need to turn up the output to the CLR without turning up the output to the FOH you can do it right there on front...

If you use L+R sum, you need to be wary of stereo effects doing strange things.
If you leave it at stereo and just use one output, you have to be wary about losing what is on the other channel.

Last edited:
That's right. Half the signal from certain effects will be missing. For example if you had a ping pong delay, all you would hear from the left channel would be the ping, and not the pong. So you must use left and right sum.

Back
Top Bottom