Signal loss out of the Axe-Fx?

JohnIce

Hey guys!

I've been recording with the Axe for a while and it's gone smoothly, but yesterday I got back to the studio and all of a sudden I'm getting this strange signal loss from the Axe-Fx. It sounds like what you'd expect from a dying battery or bad wireless system, i.e. the signal dies out really quickly, long before the acoustic resonance of the guitar itself. But I'm using passive pickups and George L's cables. nothing battery powered. The low strings sound all but fine but the higher up the neck you go the quicker the notes die out.

I've tried a bunch of different cables and guitars, and I've plugged the output into the audio interface aswell as straight out to computer speakers and headphones and I hear the same thing in every case. I've also plugged a keyboard straight into my audio interface and had no issues, so I'm pretty sure the problem is within the Axe-Fx. I've only tried unbalanced plugs so far, but like I said, it's worked fine before so why should I have to switch to XLR cables...

I've also tried both the front and rear inputs.

I really hope someone could help me with this, we really need to get this record done and I have gigs coming up, I'm also in Sweden so sending the unit back to the US for repairs would take a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!

JohnIce said:
Forgot to mention, it's the same on all patches. Unless there's a global gate that I don't know about...

There is a gate in every patch that is set. Go to the layout-gate menu.

I agree it could be a noise gate issue. But if you are using the same guitar and input chain as before the problem surfaced, I'm not sure why the gate would be acting differently now. If your input meter is approaching red, I don't see how the gate could be shutting down so aggressively.

If it is a noise gate problem, I'd imagine you too might benefit from a global noise gate threshold offset. Changing guitars and environment, for me, may require each patch's threshold to be changed. If you relax the threshold and your problem vanishes, you'll have to adjust each patch's threshold individually.

Thanks for the replies!

Like I said, I've tried several guitars on several different patches, all of which were perfectly fine just days ago. I've recorded with the same patches and the recordings sound great. I'll try to shut of the gate globally, won't hurt to try.

This may also be in the obvious category but make sure your input volume knob hasn't changed to drastically. That could weaken the input signal and possibly make the gate a bit more aggressive.

musicianof1 said:
This may also be in the obvious category but make sure your input volume knob hasn't changed to drastically. That could weaken the input signal and possibly make the gate a bit more aggressive.

I think that may actually have been it, I raised it the other day along with taking off some Ratio on the individual gates on a couple of sounds, and now it sounds like it should. Newbie mistake. :oops: Thanks for the help, guys!

Back
Top Bottom