Show your partscaster!

This build was inspired by @Burgs he was playing a yellow Tele very similar to this in one of his preset videos.
Now.. this was a giant step for me being a humbucker player for 40 years!
Warmoth body & neck. @Andy Eagle gave some crucial build tips that worked perfect!
I finished the body with 10 very light coats, applied by hand, of polyurethane.
A few light coats of Tru-Oil on the neck. I love this thing!!!
This guitar is the most resonant of all 10 I have!View attachment 100559View attachment 100560View attachment 100561View attachment 100562
Looks great!

This was inspired by the Valley Arts guitar played by Larry Carlton. It is a 7/8 scale S-type Warmoth swamp-ash body with a birdseye maple neck and ebony fretboard. Had it built around the late 80's, and still play it today. I can't take credit for the construction, as I had a local luthier assemble it and apply the finish.

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
Built this in 2016. Guitar Build UK one piece swamp ash body I modified all the cutaways and contours on. Mighty Mite neck I rolled the fingerboard on with a 9.5" to 12" compund radius fingerboard and fitted with counter sunk machine bolts. Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups with seven position push pull volume. LSR roller nut, Sperzel locking machines and a Gotoh Wilkinson VSV400P trem with steel block.

Attachments

• Liam_4.jpg
    Liam_4.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Liam_2.jpg
    Liam_2.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Liam_1.jpg
    Liam_1.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Liam_6.jpg
    Liam_6.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 41
Built this in 2016. Guitar Build UK one piece swamp ash body I modified all the cutaways and contours on. Mighty Mite neck I rolled the fingerboard on with a 9.5" to 12" compund radius fingerboard and fitted with counter sunk machine bolts. Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups with seven position push pull volume. LSR roller nut, Sperzel locking machines and a Gotoh Wilkinson VSV400P trem with steel block.
Nice - transparent Seafoam green?

It's transparent surf green. Was from a company called Wudtone here in the UK. It's a hand rubbed oil of some kind with a surf green pigment mixed with a touch of white and some clear grain filler applied and sanded flat before wiping the colour on. If I remember it was about 6 coats then buffed. It's got like a semi gloss like patina I think it the word to it, due to the type of finish used it never gets near the gloss of a sprayed finish, but I didn't have the space etc to do a spray finish.

If I were to do another I'd set up some kind of area to spray next time, as to me the finish was always a compromise.

It's transparent surf green. Was from a company called Wudtone here in the UK. It's a hand rubbed oil of some kind with a surf green pigment mixed with a touch of white and some clear grain filler applied and sanded flat before wiping the colour on. If I remember it was about 6 coats then buffed. It's got like a semi gloss like patina I think it the word to it, due to the type of finish used it never gets near the gloss of a sprayed finish, but I didn't have the space etc to do a spray finish.

If I were to do another I'd set up some kind of area to spray next time, as to me the finish was always a compromise.
The finish look really nice, is it hard. You can spray outside on a warm still summer day and the nitro lacquers that you can get is rattle cans are pretty good these days.

The finish look really nice, is it hard. You can spray outside on a warm still summer day and the nitro lacquers that you can get is rattle cans are pretty good these days.
No, it's pretty much like a slightly thicker finish than say the hand rubbed urethane on something like Charvel Govan signature. I made it in Autumn UK so weather is pretty crap then, especially for spraying outside that time of year here. Also lived in an apartment so didn't have a garden or similar to spray sadly.

Last edited:
I’m very close to ordering one of these for my MIM Strat. How’s it working out for you? Do you prefer the narrow spacing?

It’s perfect! There’s plenty of room on each side of the E-strings so there’s never a worry about sliding off the neck. It doesn’t feel narrow at all, there’s still plenty of separation around the 1st-3rd frets to get around. I’ll be ordering another one for my next partscaster, that’s for sure!

Put one together for a kid that was very particular about what he wanted for a first guitar. He wanted a baritone with a Korina body and tremolo with a soloist type shape in a distinct color and matte finish. Suggested building one so here's the result:
Warmoth body - stained to his preference
Warmoth neck - Goncalo Alves and Rosewood
Railhammer pickups
Push/pull for coil split on both pickups
image.jpg

image.jpg

20220907_165541_0.jpg

Meet "Rory" - short for "Rorshach". :) Body from Rebirth Guitar Co. in Colorado. Poplar burl on top of cherrywood. Sadly, hidden behind the bridge, a surprised tiger peeking out from behind something on the right....

20220914_105807.jpg

Rutters hardware. Dude makes top quality bits and bobs. I LOVE his short Nocaster knobs with the coarse/sharp knurl. Got the matching switch tip to go with, and the bridge and ferrules as well.

20221214_235511.jpg

Initial assembly and test-fit of bits.

20220918_014220.jpg

How many different things can you see in the ink blot? At least one, Ms. Swann....

20221218_135910_0.jpg

SNAKEHEAD! Courtesy of the nice folks at Warmoth. No need for string trees, and the Steinberger tuning knobs don't rub against the hanger and go out of tune like they did on the other guitar before it got its original tuners back. Stainless frets and Earvana nut to fit LSR nut slot.

Also - the nicest piece of rosewood I've seen in a LONG while on the fretboard. :)

20221218_185958_0.jpg

Assembled and ready to play. The Dawgtown 5/2s that came out of my VZ Tele were too good to be on a shelf. Absolutely KILLER old '50s Tele tones, plus, a 4 way switch to get the series option. Snappy, twangy, and punchy AF.

20221223_224535.jpg

Finally got the 3/8 Over control plate that I forgot to order when I got the rest of the Rutters goodies. That 3/8" extra between the knob and switch makes a HUGE difference in usability. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom