Show us your MFC setups! (post your pics)

Thanks...I also fond this one chassis.jpg,
And I guess I also need a short E-cable

Have req a company ELFA here in Noreay..

I've all the Funk Logic stuff from days gone past. I have red and black one panel, the two panel black and 3 panel blue ones. They are very cool. I'll never part with them - though I did give a friend one of the red blank panels.

Along with my - also discontinued - Talent Boost on the pedalboard... I am again in the esteemed 'unobtainable' gear club. :D

Don't be too certain Scott - it is rumored from imaginary sources inside FAS (who wish to remain fictitious) that a model of the Talent Boost will be added in FW11.04.

Unfortunately, it will not be free as it relies on the separate purchase and integration of a third party wireless accessory that FAS hasn't dubbed The FAS Talent Boost Motivator () :shock :numbness: :pride: :lol

Thanks again. Yes your link is a
Female/Female adapter to interconnect male Ethernet with male EtherCon.
Think I go for this one.

I probally need a short Ethercon cable to connect the "Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS13"
to the board. Such patch E-cables..

Thanks...I also fond this one View attachment 17458,
And I guess I also need a short E-cable

Have req a company ELFA here in Noreay..

Be careful with what jack you go with. If you go with the one you have pictured here, that's a CAT6 EtherCON and requires a CAT6 plug on the end your plugging into it. I've spoke at length with Neutrik directly to find a CAT5 alternative to this one (NE8FDP - Neutrik) which is made for a 4 mm panel mount use. I'm having Best-Tronics build me a custom 1 d-space panel for my pedalboard to mount the NE8FDP jack to my 3/4" wood-sided pedalboard (as seen here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/72907-custom-pedalboard-mfc-mission-pedals.html)

Be careful with what jack you go with. If you go with the one you have pictured here, that's a CAT6 EtherCON and requires a CAT6 plug on the end your plugging into it.
I wouldn't sweat the Cat 5 vs. Cat 6 thing. They're wired the same, and they have the same physical dimensions. Cat 6 is just a higher-performing cable/connector. You might care about that if you're running Gigabit Ethernet, but for the MFC, either (or both) will do fine.

Show us your MFC Setups! ( Post your pix! )

Took a new pic today

sa4a4eny.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378944791.152656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378944791.152656.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 58
I wouldn't sweat the Cat 5 vs. Cat 6 thing. They're wired the same, and they have the same physical dimensions. Cat 6 is just a higher-performing cable/connector. You might care about that if you're running Gigabit Ethernet, but for the MFC, either (or both) will do fine.

I do not believe you are 100% correct...

Per Fred from Neutrik in Charlotte, the CAT6 EtherCON jacks are NOT compatible with their CAT5 EtherCON plugs (what they call cable carriers) that Best-Tronics uses on their FAS11 EtherCON cable. The jacks and plugs have to be in the same series to work, per Neutrik directly.

I haven't specifically tried mixing to see if it actually works or not as I don't want to spend $100 on parts for the test. Based on uses in the computer world, you'd think it would work. I'm just going off what Neutrik had told me.

Per Fred from Neutrik in Charlotte, the CAT6 EtherCON jacks are NOT compatible with their CAT5 EtherCON plugs (what they call cable carriers) that Best-Tronics uses on their FAS11 EtherCON cable. The jacks and plugs have to be in the same series to work, per Neutrik directly.

I haven't specifically tried mixing to see if it actually works or not as I don't want to spend $100 on parts for the test. Based on uses in the computer world, you'd think it would work. I'm just going off what Neutrik had told me.

Neutrik will send you a sample pair to try if you ask. I've asked for engineering samples from companies in the past to try things out.

That would be a good way forward to find out if this really works or not.

It helps if you can have them ship it to a company address. Or a university address. I used to get engineering samples of ICs and whatnot throughout during my EE degree at university.

I don't think the CAT5 vs CAT6 specifications address connectors, per se. It's more of a cabling spec. CAT6 cable allows faster transmission speeds due to improved shielding/geometry. There are better connectors you can use than the typical RJ45, but they're not a defining characteristic. It's a choice. Neutrik may use different connectors that introduce incompatibilities, but it's likely they do that to prevent mixing/matching in situations where transmission speeds are critical. But, I could be wrong. I just know you can buy CAT6 cables that look identical to CAT5 parts.

In any event, we're talking about MIDI here, which is a pitifully slow comm spec relative to modern computer hardware. While it doesn't have to be, it's often down in the RS-232 range, where they can't even spell megahertz, let alone gigahetz. So, there's nothing to be gained by using high-end cable/comm spec'd parts. Of course, it doesn't hurt to use high-end parts, but it doesn't improve anything, either. In other words, it's a waste of time/money/effort, kinda like shielding pickup/control cavities on guitars.

If you want to maintain Cat6 performance (which is major overkill for what we're talking about), then you need to keep everything Cat6. If you just need to have it work, you should be able to mix the two flavors at will.

The physical interface specs for Cat5 and Cat6 connectors are identical. To the best of my knowledge, Ethercon is also a single spec. There are manufacturers selling ethercon cable that they claim to be compatible with Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6. I think Fred is confused about the question. :)

I don't think the CAT5 vs CAT6 specifications address connectors, per se. It's more of a cabling spec. CAT6 cable allows faster transmission speeds due to improved shielding/geometry. There are better connectors you can use than the typical RJ45, but they're not a defining characteristic. It's a choice.
The Cat5 and Cat6 specs address both cabling and connectors, and both are written to use RJ-45 connectors. Any Cat3, 5, 5e or 6 connector will fit any other "category" connector, provided the gender is correct.

In any event, we're talking about MIDI here, which is a pitifully slow comm spec relative to modern computer hardware. While it doesn't have to be, it's often down in the RS-232 range, where they can't even spell megahertz, let alone gigahetz. So, there's nothing to be gained by using high-end cable/comm spec'd parts. Of course, it doesn't hurt to use high-end parts, but it doesn't improve anything, either.
MIDI over Cat5 isn't restricted to the usual MIDI speed, but you're right: The Axe-FX and MFC won't challenge the capabilities of Cat(anything).

...it's a waste of time/money/effort, kinda like shielding pickup/control cavities on guitars.
I've seen cavity shielding significantly reduce the amount of interference a guitar picks up. It was well worth it, IMO.

David,

That a great set up you have. I've got a Hard Truckers cab with two Eminence Beta's in it. I've put a Matrix GM-50 in the back to make it an active cabinet.

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• 2013-04-16 12.41.12.jpg
    2013-04-16 12.41.12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 93
  • 2013-04-16 12.40.56.jpg
    2013-04-16 12.40.56.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 2013-04-16 12.40.36.jpg
    2013-04-16 12.40.36.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 95
SKB PS-100 MOD

I'm currently building a "flip up" type rectangular case that holds both the Axe II and the MFC. (DIY cases .com)

Here's an SKB PS-100 mod i'm currently using:

The original:

The mod:

At the gig:

PowerCon ins and outs, 1/4" output 2 and XLR output 1 (Back).

Modded Case lid:

Not as "bulky" as I thought. Snap on casters with a removable extension handle makes transporting a bit more convenient.
The casters snap at the rear of the pedal board. Works for now!

If you like, you can check out the complete timeline of mods at this link:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/62656-skb-ps-100-mod.html

Back
Top Bottom