Show Us Your AX8 Rig! (post your pics)

What board is this one?
I wish I could tell you... I bought it from a friend. It was orginally made for an HD500 and had a divider and a wah/expression riser. I yanked those out and fit a new piece of carpet in the floor of it. It's decently made and is importantly pretty light.

IMG_2590.jpg

How do you like the 44 Magnum as a power amp? Does it add any noise or distortion? My understanding is that it does "overdrive" if you turn it up a bit.

I didn't even know about the "44" until the guitarist of my "oversea"-band thought it would be a good idea for me to use it on output 2 when we toured the US/Canada some weeks ago. Though I didn't really need it except for the rehearsals I liked the idea and bought it when I was back home.

I always go direct to FOH and use a Flexsys FRFR active wedge on output 2 but of course the Flex is no solution for fly gigs. Just thought it would be nice to have something smaller. When I play festivals I don't want to carry the Flexsys every time, but there are always 4x12 cabs I can use.
The aim wasn't to sound exactly as my FOH sound (which is almost impossible) but to just have another signal path I can turn up to feel save if the monitor sound is shitty.

The funny thing: I tested the "44" with my old 4x12 some days ago and it sounded absolutely awesome!
I just put an FX loop before the cab in my preset and then I activated the bright switch on the "44" and had the volume about 11 o'clock. That seemed perfect because it doesn't add too much color. Of course the sound was not identical to my FOH signal but it was 90% there and sounded extremely good and very loud. It wasn't even necessary to tweak the EQs. Couldn't believe it, that was way better than I expected and now is my way to go. In rehearsals I just use our PA and live there's no need for me to bring my wedge. Saves even more space and weight.

What's the midi for?
This is my 4 cable method with amp which is an EVH 5150. The amps channels can be changed via midi.I am using scenes and and change the amp channels with the midi per scene. I usually have the bottom 4 foot controllers set as scenes and programmed as clean, crunch, lead 1 and lead 2. Top 4 can turn specific effects on and off. With this set up what used to be a lot of tap dancing can now be done with one tap of scene.

First AX8 gig update: it sounded incredible; and two guitarists came up to me after and expressed astonishment with how good the guitar tone was.

I used 5 different presets (all with the same base amp/cab) and 2-4 scenes per preset. Switching stuff around was a breeze and the screen really helped me keep my place (compared to the MFC).

Best music purchase ever.

I didn't even know about the "44" until the guitarist of my "oversea"-band thought it would be a good idea for me to use it on output 2 when we toured the US/Canada some weeks ago. Though I didn't really need it except for the rehearsals I liked the idea and bought it when I was back home.

I always go direct to FOH and use a Flexsys FRFR active wedge on output 2 but of course the Flex is no solution for fly gigs. Just thought it would be nice to have something smaller. When I play festivals I don't want to carry the Flexsys every time, but there are always 4x12 cabs I can use.
The aim wasn't to sound exactly as my FOH sound (which is almost impossible) but to just have another signal path I can turn up to feel save if the monitor sound is shitty.

The funny thing: I tested the "44" with my old 4x12 some days ago and it sounded absolutely awesome!
I just put an FX loop before the cab in my preset and then I activated the bright switch on the "44" and had the volume about 11 o'clock. That seemed perfect because it doesn't add too much color. Of course the sound was not identical to my FOH signal but it was 90% there and sounded extremely good and very loud. It wasn't even necessary to tweak the EQs. Couldn't believe it, that was way better than I expected and now is my way to go. In rehearsals I just use our PA and live there's no need for me to bring my wedge. Saves even more space and weight.

Hi Asphyx74,
I'm from Japan.
I'd like to ask you about "44" because I think it will be suitable for me with AX8.
Though I don't receive AX8 yet, I already ordered and now I'm looking forward to it.
And also I've been using Axe Ax Ultra and loving it.
My asking is whether it's enough power with AX8 even if I play hard rock type music in a band with drummer playing loud.
Why I'm asking is that I saw the review saying it's little bit lack of power if playing the hard rock music.

Thanks and sorry for poor my English.

Hi Asphyx74,
I'm from Japan.
I'd like to ask you about "44" because I think it will be suitable for me with AX8.
Though I don't receive AX8 yet, I already ordered and now I'm looking forward to it.
And also I've been using Axe Ax Ultra and loving it.
My asking is whether it's enough power with AX8 even if I play hard rock type music in a band with drummer playing loud.
Why I'm asking is that I saw the review saying it's little bit lack of power if playing the hard rock music.

Thanks and sorry for poor my English.

Hard to say. For me it's a kind of additional backup and I always go direct to our rehearsal PA. It's really loud but just 44 W so I think it lacks maybe some power in a band context if you don't use anything else. I would maybe choose a Matrix power amp or try out the ISP Stealth Pro if you want something smaller that fits on a pedal board. I never used the ISP but heard only good things about it.

Hard to say. For me it's a kind of additional backup and I always go direct to our rehearsal PA. It's really loud but just 44 W so I think it lacks maybe some power in a band context if you don't use anything else. I would maybe choose a Matrix power amp or try out the ISP Stealth Pro if you want something smaller that fits on a pedal board. I never used the ISP but heard only good things about it.

Thanks for quick reply.
I didn't know ISP Stealth Pro.
I gonna check it out.
Thanks again.

Here's mine I have a couple TRS cables coming today to replace the colored cords. It is big no lie. I want to have it engraved underneath, the Anti Larry Mitchell board, Go big or go home, or go fly, either way. I know he's coming to phoenix, maybe I can have him sign it. I know looking at it the first expression pedal looks cockeyed, it is on purpose, I usually come at things at an angle, just like when you park your car at the mall...;-)

I know I stated details in another thread, but this will outlive the other one.
Pedal board: Trailer Trash Pro series 36x18. I wish it was 36x16.
Wireless: Shure GLXD16
Expression pedals: EV-1's
Momentary switch: Boss FS-5U
I will be adding a couple pedals down the road. I want a really good Fuzz and maybe one of those EH B9's

I had a blast playing this yesterday. What an Awesome device.

View attachment 28996 View attachment 28997 View attachment 28997 View attachment 28998 View attachment 28999 View attachment 29000 View attachment 29001 View attachment 29002 View attachment 29003

Hey Scott. I'm still waiting for my AX8 to arrive - hopefully it will get here in the next few weeks. I'm reading all of the posts etc and gathering info so that i'll be armed to the teeth when it arrive. I must ask, what do you use the momentary switch for ?

Here is my AX8 rig. It all fits nicely in a Diago Showman case. I made a custom power box that has an on/off button, 9v output for the Shure GLX unit, mains out for the AX8, and one extra mains out for my monitor. So with a single 5m power cable, I power my entire board and my monitor (QSC K10). Setup is probably 2 minutes or something, will have to try it out at rehearsal tomorrow! :)

ax8-1.png

ax8-2.jpg

That is awesome mate. nice work

Thanks! Yes, it's from here:

http://www.nycpedalboards.com/

Everything is attached via velcro. There are no holes in the board, mainly because there isn't enough room underneath. There is a small pull strap in the back that can be used to lift the back of the board up to tilt it. When it's tilted, it works better for sitting down in front of it. Standing, my son likes it flat because the EV-1's have such a long throw. I used 2-inch wide double-sided velcro to cover all the wires. From standing position it blends in clean, so it looks like the wires are going under the board.

I don't play guitar, but I recently started taking bass and drum lessons. I have a long road ahead of me. I just want to play on stage with my son one day. I regret not starting this sooner in my life (I'm 47).

That is an awesome ambition. It is never too late to play music be it beginner, middle of the road or total pro. Just enjoy the journey.

Back
Top Bottom