Show us the Quilts!

I'm am so picky about book matching that quilted/flamed tops I like have been quite difficult to find.
You'll never find that perfect bookmatch, because it's physically impossible to achieve it.

First, there's the fact that a bookmatch is created by splitting the wood down the middle and folding one end away from the other. That means that the two pieces of wood are upside down from each other. As a result, the figuring runs in opposite directions; where the grain is coming out of the wood on one side, it's going into the wood on the other side.

Second, while splitting the wood, the saw destroys a thin layer of wood where the two sides meet. So the two sides of the bookmatch were never in contact with each other in the original piece.

You have some nice guitars, though. :)

You'll never find that perfect bookmatch, because it's physically impossible to achieve it.

First, there's the fact that a bookmatch is created by splitting the wood down the middle and folding one end away from the other. That means that the two pieces of wood are upside down from each other. As a result, the figuring runs in opposite directions; where the grain is coming out of the wood on one side, it's going into the wood on the other side.

Second, while splitting the wood, the saw destroys a thin layer of wood where the two sides meet. So the two sides of the bookmatch were never in contact with each other in the original piece.

You have some nice guitars, though. :)
Yeah, I realize it's a technical challenge. I've been really pleased with the work the Ibanez custom shop in Japan has done.

Back
Top Bottom