Should I get this as an alternative to Axe FX II?

SwigglesRP

Hi there!

So I've been recently looking more seriously into the Fractal family and obviously fell for the Axe FX II sounds a while back. Unfortunately, as I finally got ready to look into purchases I just missed the XL+ being in stock!

Background:

While I'm not an active live-performer (far from it, Comp Sci student!) I've spent the last 4 years learning recording and playing around with home studio stuff in the Youtube scene. In particular, rock/metal and other video game remixes as well as small compositions, and it's yielded a great deal of community and following, at least for me! I've additionally been playing a lot of my remixes and various things on Twitch to some success, including playing along to backing tracks etc, which can be difficult considering. I started with POD Farm and a little Line 6 GX, but as I expanded style and experience I went through Guitar Rig and Bias FX. While the latter are definitely fantastic, the amount of CPU power, RAM, and overall quality is just not in the ballpark of the Fractal sounds I've been really dreaming of "ending" with.

TL;DR Questions..
Fast forward to now and the great reception and innovations at Fractal, I see the AX8 and am left with a few questions to ease my worries.
-Is the AX8 the same sound quality as the Axe FX II +?
-Is there a weaker CPU limit or processing?
-Can I leave it connected to my PC happily, and just work as a studio musician for 80% of its use?
-Will I be able to load up factory settings from the getgo?
-Can I use it as a recording interface dry and wet, and re-amp or is it more complicated?

Appreciate any help, and thanks again FAS for making a more affordable portable model that isn't sold out ;)

-Is the AX8 the same sound quality as the Axe FX II +?
YES
-Is there a weaker CPU limit or processing?
YES
-Can I leave it connected to my PC happily, and just work as a studio musician for 80% of its use?
NO - No USB Audio
-Will I be able to load up factory settings from the get?
YES
-Can I use it as a recording interface dry and wet, and re-amp or is it more complicated?
NO - No Usb Audio

If you're not playing live and you're mainly studio use, get an XL+. It'll be in stock soon enough I'm sure. Maybe someone from FAS will chime in on upcoming availability.

Appreciate the swift answer! I own a Scarlett Solo (despite many people's worries, mine has been functional perfectly) so in theory I can just output to that (granted it'll be mono til I upgrade).

The price-point is pretty important to me as well though I was intending to grab the XL+. I recall it taking several months to be restocked since last time, considering the care and build time of the XL+. I do think that a pedal-style device is going to get more useful outside the home-studio/Twitch Performing world, so I definitely will have to see about restocking or how recording with the AX8 would be...

Appreciate the swift answer! I own a Scarlett Solo (despite many people's worries, mine has been functional perfectly) so in theory I can just output to that (granted it'll be mono til I upgrade).

The price-point is pretty important to me as well though I was intending to grab the XL+. I recall it taking several months to be restocked since last time, considering the care and build time of the XL+. I do think that a pedal-style device is going to get more useful outside the home-studio/Twitch Performing world, so I definitely will have to see about restocking or how recording with the AX8 would be...

I ordered one a few weeks ago and it shipped out within a day or two! Recording the AX8 is perfect as long as you have a decent interface. Your solo should be fine until you have the cash to upgrade to atleast a two channel interface(the 2i4 is always a great budget option).

I ordered one a few weeks ago and it shipped out within a day or two! Recording the AX8 is perfect as long as you have a decent interface. Your solo should be fine until you have the cash to upgrade to atleast a two channel interface(the 2i4 is always a great budget option).
Thanks Chris, that's very reassuring! My Solo is actually great for me right now, as far as recording just mono guitar, and I plan to do plenty of mono tracking. If I wanted to be crazy and record stereo with my Solo, I only have 1 TRS/Instrument input and 1 XLR. Can I output 1 of each from the AX8 and have no issues there?

Also if you have any demos or recordings with your AX8 I'd love to hear some!

Thanks Chris, that's very reassuring! My Solo is actually great for me right now, as far as recording just mono guitar, and I plan to do plenty of mono tracking. If I wanted to be crazy and record stereo with my Solo, I only have 1 TRS/Instrument input and 1 XLR. Can I output 1 of each from the AX8 and have no issues there?

Also if you have any demos or recordings with your AX8 I'd love to hear some!

Hi Swiggles.... I have owned all the axefx units since Apr 2009. Just kept selling\then upgrading to newest model. I am somewhat like you , I only record at home in 2nd bedroom studio. I sold my xl+ because I got tired of looking for a midi controller (foot switches) There are plenty around, but anyway I bought the AX8. I also have a audio interface for recording so I didn't need that either. The ax8 serves me perfectly. I record everyday...write, play and enjoy. It works great for my needs with $$$ left over :) but you cannot go wrong with an XL+ either of course. You'll be in guitar heaven whichever route you go......good Luck... remember sp many knowledgeable folks on this forum ready and "willing" to help you get going.

Thanks Stratman, I think the most reassuring thing is that once any of them get in stock I'll be ripping it up in the best simulation possible! Unfortunately AX8 sold out overnight, just my luck!

I've been really happy with the forums, all the amp guides, and best of all demos! I can't tell how many videos of "POD Farm vs. Guitar Rig" and "Helix vs. XL+" i've watched before my mind was made up to go FAS.

For your situation, the XL+ is more directly in line with your uses. It is, of course, the flagship and is built to be the "One Ring" so to speak. If you can, just hold out and get it. I have the AX8, and I love what it is and does, but if I had to keep just one, it would be the XL+/MFC combo.

Either way, you won't be missing the tone. You just get more options with the XL+

I'm on the waitlist now, honestly not sure how long that will be, but I appreciate the reassurance that someone like me will get the most out of the XL+.

Uh --- Why can't you record with it without USB? I have both but only record with the Axe Fx. I basically NEVER record with USB. So depending on your work flow you should be able to happily leave it connected to your PC, with an interface. Just use the XLR outputs.

Uh --- Why can't you record with it without USB? I have both but only record with the Axe Fx. I basically NEVER record with USB. So depending on your work flow you should be able to happily leave it connected to your PC, with an interface. Just use the XLR outputs.
I would prefer USB because my Scarlett Solo only has 1 XLR and 1 1/4" Instrument Input, so it wouldn't be stereo (or I'd be doing some very funky setups). That and I'd like to use it as my interface, lower latency and probably better stability than my $100 box. I think regardless I could record with the AX8 no issues mono, but the conclusion I'm seeing here is to just survive the waitlist.

Any ideas on how long they take on average?

I see. Well I was only responding to a post that says you couldn't. I almost always record at 96k stereo plus another dry track mono for the DI so I can reamp it later if I want. 96k means I can't record with USB so I don't bother it it. And I comes out great analog out.

+1.

It completely depends on the production method. For those that layer, tweak and reamp dozens of guitar tracks, then the Axe FX is the obvious choice when this is the workflow, as its all in the digital domain. Reamping can be done with the AX8: it's just more of a work around, and there will be at least an additional DA/AD conversion.

If the production style is getting the tone right at the get go, punching in additional parts and overdubs, or for any kind of a live scenario: then the AX8 is completely up to the job, and an easy workflow.

Studio: Record S/PDIF or XLR to interface. IME, recording the AX8 analog sounds the same as S/PDIF, even if my interface technically might be .005% less accurate. For potential reamping I find it easier to plug the guitar into a DI (Focusrite ISA1) ahead of the AX8 to record the dry guitar track, rather than reconfigure presets on the AX8. Probably doesn't sound exactly the same as if I used a AX8 dry track: but it works fine in the rare instances its more than an unused safety track.

Live: Direct Out (off the board) AX8 XLR

There's other ways to go about recording, of course, but IMO the AX8 is first rate. I do prefer the form factor with integrated pedal/switching. Ultimately, one has to decide which device best suits one's way of working.

Last edited:

Exactly/... I have been recording for many years. I know about the extra conversion when recording analog. I hear no difference. I am sure their is, but IIRC all of my favorite guitar players did NOT record digital. It was mic'd amp and away we go. I know that is changing somewhat. But for me, analog is fine and EASY..... both have their place and either is OK...Depends on person needs, that's all.

If you are only planning to do mono, 1 amp/cab recording only and use the effects from your DAW, then you won't have problems with the AX8 CPU limit. Even a couple of stomp effects will work fine.
But it won't do re-amping, And the II will do 3-channel recording over USB (effected sound plus dry signal ready for re-amping at once). Or even 4-channel, not sure what the 4th does.

Just to add some of the things not mentioned before.

I record in stereo and I also record a dry signal at the same time. No problem. I have presets with 7 stomp box fx.....but it sounds like the XL+ is for you. Hard to say about the wait. I would think not real long.

Last edited:
I record in stereo and I also record a dry signal at the same time. No problem. I have presets with 7 stomp box fx.....but it sounds like the XL+ is for you. Hard to say about the wait. I would think not real long.
Does the AX8 do that out of the box? Or do you have specific presets with a parallel direct line to other outputs?
The II has a specific function for three channel recording. IIRC the Ax8 doesn't. But you have the thing so you'd know better.

No, the Ax8 has no USB recording, so you have to set up the presets yourself.

It is very easy though. When I record, I have set up my presets such that I record a DI signal, a dry signal tapped just after the cab block and then the wet FX in stereo separately. Just like if I were recording a W/D/W setup. That way, I can mix the dry guitar signal with the wet FX during the mix phase. I find it very difficult to get the right FX balance/level at recording time.

(I send DI to FX Loop send panned hard left, Dry signal goes to FX loop send panned hard right, and FX L/R goes to the main outs)

Does the AX8 do that out of the box? Or do you have specific presets with a parallel direct line to other outputs?
The II has a specific function for three channel recording. IIRC the Ax8 doesn't. But you have the thing so you'd know better.

Hey Dutch
To record stereo there is "Nothing" special to set up. To record a dry signal at the same time, I add fx loop to presets. But I have been adding the fx loop in all my presets for a while now.

As a follow up, I found a B-Stock available on the site for the XL and, despite a forum post stating it was SOLD, it's clearly in stock and I'm able to place the order. Any way I can be sure it really is in stock?

Back
Top Bottom