Setup recommendation? FM9 and two EV2s

sick pickle

Inspired
I am looking to create the cleanest, tighest setup possible. I have my FM9T and just got two EV2s. It appears like Temple Audio is the big recommendation here, however, the 24 is too small and the 34 is too wide. Anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this? I am looking for a really clean solution, where I can mount everything and just be done with it. I also want to easily transport it all in some kind of case.

As of now, I use the Helix backpack and just place all my items on the floor.

Thanks for any help FractalHeads!

I have had a couple of cases modified for me by Thomann. I contacted them about a case I liked and asked if it could be lengthened for an extra pedal and they were happy enough to do it.

I've got the Temple 34 with an FM9 and two EV1s. I believe you can cut the 34 down to size and remount the end cap. I've also heard that Temple will make you a custom width, so you might want to reach out to them.

I'm in the same boat and probably going Temple Duo 34 route. I don't think it is too wide with 2 EV's. Might have a tiny bit of extra room but nothing significant based on posts others have made in the "Let's See your FM9 rigs" thread.

For example, see user @Sixstring 's post here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm9-rigs.176163/post-2351846
That's a Duo 34 with an EV and a Shure wireless (about same width, more or less, as an EV).
I'm pretty much using his setup, and another by @bleujazz3, as my template when I get around to building a board.

I've heard mixed things on Temple, but for the price and availability of custom side plates to have connectivity neatened up, I'm not sure it can be beat.
If perhaps you can get it right without overspending, expect about $500± cost that includes the board and modules. The power supply, cables, and additional peripherals will be extra.

It is by no means an inexpensive way to build an FM9 board, but once it's complete, it will be yours for the future. It is an investment of cash, as putting money into anything of value is these days.

There are cheaper ways, but Temple Audio makes quality gear that are designed to last a lifetime.

For example, see user @Sixstring 's post here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm9-rigs.176163/post-2351846
That's a Duo 34 with an EV and a Shure wireless (about same width, more or less, as an EV).
I'm pretty much using his setup, and another by @bleujazz3, as my template when I get around to building a board.

I've heard mixed things on Temple, but for the price and availability of custom side plates to have connectivity neatened up, I'm not sure it can be beat.
That's not an EV-2 or an EV-1...

I am looking to create the cleanest, tighest setup possible. I have my FM9T and just got two EV2s. It appears like Temple Audio is the big recommendation here, however, the 24 is too small and the 34 is too wide. Anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this? I am looking for a really clean solution, where I can mount everything and just be done with it. I also want to easily transport it all in some kind of case.

As of now, I use the Helix backpack and just place all my items on the floor.

Thanks for any help FractalHeads!
Get a 3rd EV-2 - problem solved! ;)

As suggested, you could get a Duo-34 and cut it down.

I've got the Temple 34 with an FM9 and two EV1s. I believe you can cut the 34 down to size and remount the end cap. I've also heard that Temple will make you a custom width, so you might want to reach out to them.
They did before Covid. Somewhere in there they stopped the custom widths. I have two custom Duo 21 boards from my former setup that had an FC6 and two pedals per board....

They did before Covid. Somewhere in there they stopped the custom widths. I have two custom Duo 21 boards from my former setup that had an FC6 and two pedals per board....
My guess is cost, the perforated steel they are using is probably punched just for them and cutting to a custom length is an extra cost and would generate waist in the process.

I considered this, but there is no way I could pull this off properly and not ruin it lol
Actually it would be pretty easy to cut it down! A hack saw with a fine blade would work well and the ends of the board will cover any mistakes you might have along the way with cutting! Another little trick you might want to do is to drill small 1/4" holes in the bottom of the ends. This will make it easer to get to to screws that hold the ends and handles on. If you look at the pic's of my board of the underside you will see them!.

Last edited:
My guess is cost, the perforated steel they are using is probably punched just for them and cutting to a custom length is an extra cost and would generate waist in the process.
Well, if you're paying for the next larger size then the material cost would be no different. Only labor to make the cuts...

Well, if you're paying for the next larger size then the material cost would be no different. Only labor to make the cuts...
Correct! but if they were cutting to a specific size the leftovers won't always be able to be used and steel is not cheap these days.

Correct! but if they were cutting to a specific size the leftovers won't always be able to be used and steel is not cheap these days.
Then they could recycle it ;)

My point being if you pay Temple for a 34" to be cut down to 30", they've lost nothing because you've already covered their cost for the 34" of material.

Then they could recycle it ;)

My point being if you pay Temple for a 34" to be cut down to 30", they've lost nothing because you've already covered their cost for the 34" of material.
To your point yes they could still cut to spec! Why they dont would be interesting to know.

Just out of curiosity I did some math based on all of their size offerings and If you look at all of the sizes they have available width and depth wise it works out to almost a total of two 4'x 8' sheets of steel! From a manufacturing side of things it appears to be pretty efficient with their use of that material!

Back
Top Bottom