settings when using w/ Mesa 2:90 poweramp

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi,

I am going through some of the presets and have globally switched off the "power amp" and "cab sims" (for the time being) as I am using my Mesa 2:90 with two 2x12 cabs. Should I be changing any other default output setting because so far...to me....it still doesn't sound quite right, kind of like a blanket over the speakers. It is probably just something I am not doing correctly.

Thanks,
d.

start from scratch. you can't expect patches created for FRFR to translate to amp and cab when you've changed two critical elements.

i'm sure there are others here using the 2:90, so hopefully they'll be able to chime in with a patch or two to get you started

if you're playing at low volume, you could try turning the power amp sims back on...the 2:90 won't add much (apart from a little colouration) at low volume in terms of drive or compression. play with the presence controls as well...if it sounds muddy...turn them up! :)

sim

Personally, I would turn the power amp sims back on. Even with tube power amps I always thought it sounded better with them on.

I would leave the cab sims off though while you are going through a 2x12

I run through a 2:90 with 4 1-12 Mesa speakers so my set-up is pretty similar to yours. I leave the power amp sims on, the cab sims off. A lot of the character & feel of the amp sims are in the power amp sims & it sounds dull & flat to me without them. I leave the presence controls on the 2:90 off. On the global EQ I lower the 2 highest & the 2 lowest EQ bands a little. I also take a little out of the 250hz band.

the 290 is so powerful and unless you're in slayer you're not going to be getting the power tube saturation out of it by itself- so I'd leave the power amp sims on- mesa's as power amp's seem to be very clean too with tons of head room in my exp w the 290 so- use the power amp simulation to get you to the tone you want w the axe

Having run the axe ii with a 50/50, I would just add that you should expect to do some global eqing. Namely, removing some of the mesa low mids (around 250) and I have a gradual roll-off of the highs past 4k....

Run power amp sims on cab sims off. Run Mesa full up with. Presence on half. Adjust parameters in amp windows to taste

oh no..!...im just on my half way to setup my new axe fx2...and didn't know there were power amp knowledge coming up/...!!..i got mesa 2 90 as well..!..Tremonti..pls advice more details step by step on setup between axe fx2 connect to mesa 290...much appreciate...sorry..as english is not my first language..cheers

Sorry to bump an old thread but im getting a Mesa 2:90 tomorrow to run with my Axe and orange cab and was hoping to get some more tone tips. Thanks in advance everyone :)

No matter what, run the 2:90 with DEEP engaged as it is cutting all the low end when DEEP is not engaged.
I've noticed that only when I've switched from the 2:90 to 3!!! Other power amps + studio monitors and found out how coloring the 2:90 is.
It’s a great amp but it colors the tone.
I used to run the 2:90 with DEEP disengaged and only when I've switched to other amps I understood that DEEP off = cutting all the low freq.
Oo and yea, cab + power amp sim ON!

Did I mentioned it's a killer amp? :) it kills everybody around AND your back ;)
Really, it's a great piece.

Enjoy.

Sorry to bump an old thread but im getting a Mesa 2:90 tomorrow to run with my Axe and orange cab and was hoping to get some more tone tips. Thanks in advance everyone :)

As simeon mentioned above, start with a blank slate. Add just an amp block and work it from there. Remember some amp parameters do not work when the amp simulator is off (I don't know why they're not disabled in the menu when the amp simulator is off, maybe that will come later?).

From my experience the 2:Ninetey works great, but don't expect much from all the presets. Also, make sure your firmware is at least above 11.x, that was a real game changer. You may want to use the amp simulator, but I found it wasn't necessary after firmware 11.x (particularly the Plexi Jumped amps do it for me)

Once you have a solid amp block(s) that you like, save it so you can experiment with swapping it out in some of the other presets.

I find most presets cater to the FRFR setups , so it's important to be patient and work with it. I was bit discourage in the beginning, but after working with it I was able to get where I wanted to be, tone wise.

I've suggested it before, I don't why they don't make presets by the basic setup scenarios. I know there is a million way to set things up, but perhaps the top 4 setups as e.g. (FRFR, "Power Amp/Cab", 4CM, "Amp Input"). Having hundreds factory presets is really great, but I think they could showcase the unit a little better by "setups" and not frustrate a lot of users.

I hope you enjoy the 2:Ninety as much as I do!

Peace.

I used to have a digitech 1101, great unit, and it allows yo to execute a "configuration wizard", where you can choice your setup configuration, FRFR, amp in, power amp (tube or transistor), 4CM, FOH AND Amps, etc..

Have an option like this, will made the axe even easy to configure according to the setup that you will run.

You can chek this on the digitech's 1101 users manual, page 15.

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_do...286481757/GSP1101Manual18_0474_B_original.pdf

One thing to note, when having the power amp sim off is that the presence knob turns into a high shelving filter (possible for the "blanket sound"). You need to adjust the "presence knob"(amp sim) to 5 for your presets if not using the PA sim. That said, having the power amp sim on with a tube amp sounds fine at low volumes, but tends to get muddy at high volumes from my experiences with it. However, amps sims that rely more power amp distortion may not sound "right" with it off. One possible way to remedy this is to turn the low res parameter (speaker tab in the amp sim) down to 0 (when using the PA sim). I haven't tried it at gig levels, but it might work for those amp sims.

I'd say Power amp OFF!

Why: I have spent the last three hour A/B comparing my new Axe Fx XL to my good 'ol Triaxis through my 2:Ninety power amp. Though the power amp module in the XL sounds great, OFF is the way that sounded closest (and I mean really close) to the sound coming from my triaxis.

On a sidenote: I am extremely impressed how close the XL is to the Triaxis!! So much I am actually considering selling my triaxis, despite I have always followed the mantra that you don't sell equipment unless really crappy. If I did a blindtest (sound only), I actually think the XL would win, as it has a (small) bit more definition to the sound. Only thing is, if you match the settings on the two, you have to do a little global EQ on the XL, as it is more treble'y than the triaxis, but this might simply be the condition of the tubes in the triaxis...

did you leave pres at 5 and reduce the bright parameter? this will get you closer than reducing pres, because the triaxis pres works like a filter, in the same way the bright param does. info in the wiki about it. that's why it may have been brighter. set bright to about 9o/c

I used the Axe Fx 2 with my Mesa 2 90 on many gigs and I prefer using the power amp sim on, to my ears it sounds much better. I put the presence control on 1/2 because the tone can get very bright. I akso use an graphic eq after the amp so I can shape the tone a bit more.

Just be aware with the 2:90 that even though you are not probably driving the power amp into saturation, it does color the tone especially in the deep mode. You will want to compensate for that. Like everyone suggested best to start from scratch.

Try it both ways, see which one works for you.

Back
Top Bottom