Setting the Master Volume

Discussion in 'Tech Notes' started by FractalAudio, Oct 7, 2016.

1. #61 spx90, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    spx90

spx90
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thank you very much for your explanations.
    Grazie mille per le spiegazioni.
    Understanding a product is very important, if not essential !
    Capire un prodotto e Molto Importante, se non Fondamentale!
    The success of a product and often linked to the understanding of how to use it well
    il successo di un prodotto e spesso legato alla comprensione di come si usa bene
    Although sometimes the language (English) and an obstacle to many foreign musicians
    Anche se a volte la lingua (Inglese) e un ostacolo, per molti musicisti stranieri
    (My writing and witnessed this obstacle)
    (la mia scrittura e testimone di questo ostacolo)
    I have a lot of hunger to understand this product
    Io ho molta fame di comprendere questo prodotto
    Thanks for all the posted technical advice
    Grazie per tutti i consigli tecnici postati
    My desire is always to understand everything
    il mio desiderio รจ sempre quello di capire tutto

P.S.
    Attached I put a preset for this exercise.
    In allegato ho messo un preset per questo esercizio.

01 Setting the Master Volume_exp1.jpg 02 Setting the Master Volume_exp1.JPG

Attached Files:

MDProd and bradlake like this.
  2. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

i was just about to post a thread asking about MV settings cause i remember reading somewhere that the MV knob was *specifically not logarithmic, so you had to turn it up higher than on an amp to get to the sweet spot, but i been playing with the recto modern 2 trying to wrap my head around how to best domesticate the low end resonance (*the NODE) while keeping the bungee cord effect, and the power amp goes to absolute shit any higher than 2.5. i decided to come back here and RTFM first, not disappointed. now to find the sticky about the speaker page...

3. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

AHH THIS! when you load up an amp block and the default speaker resonance values load up, are those nodes based on the common speaker used with that amp, like the recto 2 modern would load up with a graph that closely resembles a V30 frequency response? i was playing with this to try to tame the low end, it works wonderfully just like you said, but other than just turning the resonance down to taste i don't really understand what it's doing. is that graph the thing that tells the power amp where to resonate (the virtual impedance curve)?

if you effectively flattened the graph, would that simulate a solid state power amp to basically remove the low end node out of the tone equation? i heard somewhere that solid state amps don't do the impedance resonance thing. the preamp distortion is AMAAAZING, without any boost at all, it's just a matter of tuning the resonance, and that's a bitch without being able to stand in front of a cab with you pants flapping in the breeze.

4. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

That graph shows the impedance of an attached virtual speaker cab. Cabs have different impedance at different frequencies, just like the graph. The higher the impedance, the greater the output of the tube power amp. The greater the output at a particular frequency, the sooner the amp will clip at that frequency.

The particular impedance curve (graph) that loads when you load an amp depends on the cab that Fractal used when modeling that amp.

shatteredsquare likes this.
  5. lane

lane
    Expand Collapse
    New here

i seem to getting a little fuzzy distortion on all the presets, even the clean ones.any clues?

6. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

If you're getting distortion on a clean preset, then it's not completely clean. Turn down the gain.

If you have other questions, please start a new thread. Thanks.

ps43203 likes this.