Implemented Setting Scene Volume?

The FC Programming section includes "AMP VOLUME CHANGE + SAVE". You can specify which amp block you want to address and how many dB you want its level adjusted by. At present, there is no plan to allow this to be triggered by MIDI.
Nice, M@. I assume it can be triggered by an external switch attached to the FC? Would we be able to specify two commands, one for up and one for down? It's just such a useful function to be able to fine-tune levels w/out having to reach for the unit.

To me, being able to do it on a per-scene basis seems more straightforward; the Scene is kind of the basis for everything. Let's say my Scene 1 rhythm is fine, but my Scene 2 solo (using the same amp) isn't loud enough. Then, boosting the amp won't help - it'll end up making the rhythm too loud. I can make a note of it and add a filter or scene controller later (or add a louder amp on another channel if they're not all in use), but that's not as streamlined as just being able to set the volume of the actual Scene in question.

Cliff's suggestion of the Output block channels would work too, but it also seems to be an extra step that's unnecessary. You'd have to remember which channel goes w/ which scene, etc.

First world problems... ;-)

You can have as many instances of this function as you want, each with its own positive or negative dB value. +1, -1, +2, -4, whatever you wanted.

You asked about external foot switches. Those are seen as part of the host, rather than the FC. If you already have an Axe-Fx III, you'll find you can assign "FC" footswitches and pedals galore -- to global MIDI/Remote as well as per-preset Modifier functions. So, to answer the specific question, as it exists now, you could NOT assign "Amp Vol +/- & Save" to an external footswitch. But bear in mind, the FC series allows you to design many different "Layouts" of switches. These are analogous to what other controllers call "Pages" (or how "Reveal" works on the MFC). So... you could have a layout designed for "leveling" that's easily accessible, without needing external foot switches at all.

But bear in mind, the FC series allows you to design many different "Layouts" of switches. These are analogous to what other controllers call "Pages" (or how "Reveal" works on the MFC). So... you could have a layout designed for "leveling" that's easily accessible, without needing external foot switches at all.
The problem is that during a performance, having to hit a new layout, make the volume adjustment, go back to your performance layout is much more difficult & distracting than hitting 1 switch on the MFC. The whole idea for me of having a system like this is to avoid the tap dance & this would just increase it 3 fold compared to the MFC in this instance.

You can have as many instances of this function as you want, each with its own positive or negative dB value. +1, -1, +2, -4, whatever you wanted.

You asked about external foot switches. Those are seen as part of the host, rather than the FC. If you already have an Axe-Fx III, you'll find you can assign "FC" footswitches and pedals galore -- to global MIDI/Remote as well as per-preset Modifier functions. So, to answer the specific question, as it exists now, you could NOT assign "Amp Vol +/- & Save" to an external footswitch. But bear in mind, the FC series allows you to design many different "Layouts" of switches. These are analogous to what other controllers call "Pages" (or how "Reveal" works on the MFC). So... you could have a layout designed for "leveling" that's easily accessible, without needing external foot switches at all.
Thanks for your answer Matt. But I agree w/ @notalemming , I'd rather not have to switch to a new page and back. I currently use a Boss FS6 that sits next to the AX8 or MFC and is always accessible. Another option would be to have 2 switches in the main layout page, but that's taking up two IA that I'd probably want for something else.

edit to add: @Admin M@ - I just noticed Cliff mentioned he's working on Global blocks. But if you use a Global amp, won't the "Amp Vol +/- & Save" affect every instance of that amp block across multiple presets? That would likely mess up the levels on those other presets...

Last edited:
Does AXE III still have volume incr/ decr functions, where you can assign a footswitch to increase/ decrease volume by 1 dB?.

Edit: just saw it answered above, bummer...

Last edited:
The FC Programming section includes "AMP VOLUME CHANGE + SAVE". You can specify which amp block you want to address and how many dB you want its level adjusted by. At present, there is no plan to allow this to be triggered by MIDI.

Kind of an old thread, but running in to this now while programming.

Too bad this got cancelled! I loved having the ability to adjust scene volumes during soundcheck or show from my controller.

I also had a button set up with both increment and decrement cc's, so the volume didn't change, but I could save my preset with all bypass and x/y states straight from the controller.

Would really love to see this come back. If not, it's not a giant problem for me of course, but it helped speed up my workflow a lot.

Cheers! (BTW: loving the AXE III)

Could this please be added again in a future firmware update? I use different levels on each of the 8 scenes and having it set up like on the II make it very easy and straight forward.

In my experience, it is always best to set scene levels upstream of delay and reverb tails anyway. Otherwise, your tails jump or dip when you change scenes.

A great tool for this is a Volume block after the Cab. Place a SCENE CONTROLLER on the output LEVEL of the block. Set MIN to -10 dB and MAX to +10 dB. Set all values for your scene controller to 50% to start and then adjust each as desired.

Bonus: you can still assign your expression pedal to the VOLUME parameter of the same block to control levels by foot (with tail spillover).

Last edited:
In my experience, it is always best to set scene levels upstream of delay and reverb tails anyway. Otherwise, your tails jump or dip when you change scenes.

A great tool for this is a Volume block after the Cab. Place a SCENE CONTROLLER on the output LEVEL of the block. Set MIN to -10 dB and MAX to +10 dB. Set all scenes to 50% to start and then adjust each as desired. Bonus: you can still assign your expression pedal to the VOLUME parameter of the same block to control levels by foot (with tail spillover).
This is exactly what I did in my 'Clean to Mean' pack. For the same reasons mentioned. And now with 4 Scene Controllers it's easier to spare one for this.

That is the best way to do it for sure, but having buttons on my midi controller for on the fly adjustments and storing the preset was great to have as well.

That is the best way to do it for sure, but having buttons on my midi controller for on the fly adjustments and storing the preset was great to have as well.

Really miss this option....very useful for setting levels pre gig etc...my Axe is on the side of the stage - having to walk off stage to edit and adjust the volume of each scene is a major hassle...please bring the back

Last edited:
Setting level per scene in the output mixer is not supported on the III.

What’s the alternative? How can I adjust volumes of a scene ‘on the fly’?

‘Bonus: you can still assign your expression pedal to the VOLUME parameter of the same block to control levels by foot (with tail spillover).’

Does not work for me as it now means I need to add an expression pedal.... if I’m told in need my solo boosting - just one or two taps on the MCF and job done... having to try and gauge the volume increase via slowly adjusting a volume pedal just won’t work... pushing it down then pulling it back etc trying to find the correct level :-(

Last edited:
The problem is that during a performance, having to hit a new layout, make the volume adjustment, go back to your performance layout is much more difficult & distracting than hitting 1 switch on the MFC. The whole idea for me of having a system like this is to avoid the tap dance & this would just increase it 3 fold compared to the MFC in this instance.

+

Back
Top Bottom