Implemented Setting Scene Volume?

atquinn

Power User
Was this gotten rid of/moved? In the II, you can set the scene volumes at the output, but it doesn't look like this is in the III output block and I'm not seeing any mention of this in the manual.

Austin

I had wondered the same thing. After doing some digging around in the III and manual I don't see any way of setting a scene volume. It could be something I'm missing but I sure aint seeing it. On my IIXL+ I tried real hard to keep all my scenes at 0.0 and adjust the volume by other means like X/Y amp block levels or other blocks in the chain. To be honest I think this is the best method anyway. Fractal probably felt the same way and excluded the feature in the output block. Another reason could be if it was in the output block how would the scene volume sync across many outputs. In Setup I/O menu you can set output 2 to copy output 1 so those two outputs would be able to have scene volumes linked but no way to do it with the rest of the outputs. Plus now with the option of 4 channels per block you could use a volume block or filter block to do it as well. New format new methods.

The manual says:
"Input blocks and Output blocks each have four channels. This gives them multiple sets of parameters you can use to vary their operation from scene to scene. Output blocks do not store the Main block output level independently for each scene."

I'm not sure if that means the main level has to be set in different channels to get different levels per scene or if it can't be done at all anymore.

I had wondered the same thing. After doing some digging around in the III and manual I don't see any way of setting a scene volume. It could be something I'm missing but I sure aint seeing it. On my IIXL+ I tried real hard to keep all my scenes at 0.0 and adjust the volume by other means like X/Y amp block levels or other blocks in the chain. To be honest I think this is the best method anyway. Fractal probably felt the same way and excluded the feature in the output block. Another reason could be if it was in the output block how would the scene volume sync across many outputs. In Setup I/O menu you can set output 2 to copy output 1 so those two outputs would be able to have scene volumes linked but no way to do it with the rest of the outputs. Plus now with the option of 4 channels per block you could use a volume block or filter block to do it as well. New format new methods.

Ok so I'm not cray then. I agree with you that it is best not to adjust the volumes that way anyway so it makes sense to me that it was removed.

Austin

@atquinn The meter I have been using is Layout/zoom. There is then a meter at the top of the page.

Right, but that's not the same thing. The difference is that on the Axe2, if you want a particular scene to be a solo boost, you could use the scene output volume to bump up the volume. On the Axe3, you have to increase the volume by changing the output volume of one of the blocks in that scene. It's not a big deal at all IMO (especially because of the way you can easily switch between scenes in the blocks), but I'm surprised I am the first one who mentioned it.

Austin

Last edited:
Right, but that's not the same thing. The difference is. On the Axe2, if you want a particular scene to be a solo boost, you could use the scene output volume to bump up the volume. On the Axe3, you have to increase the volume by changing the output volume of one of the blocks in that scene. It's not a big deal at all IMO (especially because of the way you can easily switch between scenes in the blocks), but I'm surprised I am the first one who mentioned it.

Austin
ahhh ok I see what you are talking about now.... Thought you were just talking about monitoring the actual level. my bad.

Setting level per scene in the output mixer is not supported on the III.

There’s a couple ways of boosting the output volume block per scene in the III. Output block channels and/or scene controllers attached to the output block’s output knob.

It could be a feature they would bring back with a firmware update I'd guess. Self inflicted problem I ran into with the IIXL+ is after tweaking a preset over time everything I wound up adjusting would add to output volume creep till the point I was pounding the output meters. Then when I did want to boost for a lead or louder part it was way out of control. spent a long time getting all my presets lowered to be where they are close to factory preset volumes. So now that I know this I always compare presets to try and get a good output level.

I noticed this also. Not to worry though, plenty of other ways to get there. It might actually be better to use a vol or filter block because sometimes I want the same sound as a scene but not boosted so it could be mapped to an IA

... scene controllers attached to the output block’s output knob.
I’m not sitting in front of my III right now, but it does seem that using scene controllers for this would work fine. I think there are enough now to control all available scenes in a preset, whether controlling the output block or an amp level per scene.

Is there still some version of Vol Increment/Decrement that we can control w/ external switches? (probably in the Output block if at all?)

Is there still some version of Vol Increment/Decrement that we can control w/ external switches? (probably in the Output block if at all?)

The FC Programming section includes "AMP VOLUME CHANGE + SAVE". You can specify which amp block you want to address and how many dB you want its level adjusted by. At present, there is no plan to allow this to be triggered by MIDI.

Back
Top Bottom