Senior Member issue

Post count is an almost useless metric IMO. What about those with post counts running into the thousands but every single comment is stupid? (I'm not gonna name names.) The only useful thing I can think of regarding post count is that taken together with 'join date' you can get a picture of how active someone is over time.

This forum is getting big, it needs a better metric to help rank quality of posts (and the members posting). For example, we already have a 'like' button, so you could calculate 'like percentage' for each forumite and make it visible. Then we could opt to pay more attention to members with a high 'like' percentage.

The problem, of course, is 'like'. Most people click 'like' for funny jokes above all else. Someone will reply to this with a wordplay joke about 'members', and the next guy will 'like' it. I suggest, instead of just 'like', there should be a few different buttons:

| 'Funny' | 'Useful' | 'I Agree' | 'Great Tone' | 'You Suck!' |

OK, maybe not so many choices, and maybe nothing negative... but you get the idea. People would get percentages for each of these, and post count wouldn't matter.
Couldn't agree more. About 90% of what I post is just a silly comment and I've got a ton of 'likes' and I'm a senior member for it. Granted I've been around here for a while now, but I don't come here and spend my evenings trying to help other people out that much anymore. Seems like that was all I did back in the Ultra days, but it's just not necessary anymore. A lot less issues and more people that help out.

I've recessed in my 'senior' days into a babbling idiot because of it.

And to be honest I think that after a certain number of posts we should have a 'hasn't seen the sun in years' designator or something. :)

About 90% of what I post is just a silly comment and I've got a ton of 'likes' and I'm a senior member for it. )

The humor on this forum is a big reason I enjoy participating that much. So don't be ashamed of it :mrgreen

There's plenty of helpful folks and their posts on the board nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom