Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
Review Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

So Jay came over today and we did this comparison, first off I'd like to thank Jay for lugging this stuff over here and for that JMP1 patch :)

so how did this thing stack up against the "big boys"?...................Pretty freaking good.
Points of notice during the comparison.
the power amps that come with the RCF and the CLR seem to have about 25% more power to them than the one
that comes with the Seismic, the CLR will rip your head off so if you need high volume to gig the CLR is a clear winner in this category.
Sound wise the Seismic and the RCF were very close right out the gate
now one thing to keep in mind during this comparison is that the Seismic is physically the smallest of the 3, (you really notice this against the CLR)
With a little EQ-ing we got the Seismic and the RCF to sound almost identical, the RCF sounds a little bigger (which it is) but besides that,
side by side they were very close.
When we switched on the CLR to compare the first thing you notice is how much bigger the CLR sounds ....and physically is, so
not much of a surprise there, the thing that comes with that though is more clarity and the dispersion of the CLR is unrivaled by anything I have tried yet.
The CLR also had a little better note separation than the Seismic did when we cranked them up, but at lower to moderate volume the Seismic sounded
did a very good job holding it's own and sounded very good.
Early on in our testing I stated to Jay that I thought the Seismic sounded very much like a 10" version of the CLR. Tonally very close just not as big sounding.

Winner here is clearly the CLR.................but for $299.00 the Seismic is a giant killer. It held it's own well enough that I am going
to get another one so I can play W/D/W with my JSX ->Recto 2X12 in the middle (which we also did today).
We also tested these in wedge position and on their sides in back line position, I prefer this for at home playing as it doesn't shoot the highs into my face.
The Seismic did not suffer in either position, either did the CLR.
Lastly we tested the Seismic with my 5 string Fender bass. the sound was very good, but we did hear a couple of snaps at higher volume.
Now there is something floating around inside of mine , I have to open it up, so that may have been what I heard , but if I was going
to get one of these for Bass, I would go with the 15" just to be on the safe side. The Sound quality with the bass was excellent though.
For someone who is only playing at home or is on a Budget these things kick some serious butt, also for $299.00 you don't have to
worry as much about someone tripping over them of spilling something on them like you would with a $1,000.00 monitor.
for $600.00 you can get a pair and run them in stereo and be very very happy with your rig.
If I had money to burn I would get 2 CLRs to run this type of rig, but since I don't play at very loud volume, 2 of these will do quite nicely
for a hell of a lot less.

Lastly I stumbled on something that puts a big smile on my face. When I create patches I usually use one or 2 of the OH IR's for out1
I add a GEQ and an FX loop for output 2 and try to match my out2 to my out 1 sound as closely as possible, but today we used 2 patches (one of Jays and one of mine) that
use the Basket Weave TV cab and it matched almost exactly with the power section of my JSX going into the Recto 2X12, I had to add zero EQ to get it to sound good.
we ran the Seismic and the CLR left/ right from output 1 wet, and output 2 into my JSX dry and it sounded really good.
I'm going to have to make some new patches specifically to run this way now as the Darker amps (we used the JMP1 and the Euro Red Modern) paired with the TV
sound really good in this type of set up.
Feel free to ask any questions I will be happy to share my thoughts, I think Jay and I were pretty much on the same page during this testing
I'm sure he will post his thoughts soon enough.

Last edited:
Nick, well stated. I agree with your review.

I will also add (which I posted in the other thread), that your powered Seismic sounded different than the passive I had.
I sent it back, and I also passed a note to Seismic to take a look to see if any components were damaged in shipping.

So at the moment, I agree with your comments on the Powered version....but I have not seen this same level of performance from the Passive (again, maybe mine was damaged).

Overall, I still love the RCF/CLR sound. But the Seismic is indeed a giant killer due to it's price tag.
I was a surprised that with a quick tweak of the onboard Eq on the Seismic, that we were able to get it sounding very close to the RCF/CLR.
Agreed, it was like a 10" version of the RCF/CLR, but with a little less clarity.
I would put this wedge in a sound category similar to the FBT Verve. (I'm probably going to get beat up for saying that)
The Verve is built a little better, but the tone/dispersion are very similar. I'm not saying it is or is not 'flatter' than the Verve, as I did not measure either (Verve or Seismic), so I can't say either way.

For the price tag....I think it's going to be popular.

One last note, is that the patches that I created on the RCF/CLR, translated really well on the Seismic (once we balanced the Seismic to sound like the RCF/CLR using the onboard Eq)
Man, I don't want a powered front vocal wedge.....but I'm really debating grabbing one, because for the price, I don't think you can beat this.

Last edited:
Jay, I emailed you earlier today about the Seismic 15" passive pair I got today, $398 delivered to my door. I think you got a damaged 12" speaker, b/c my 15" cabinets sound fine...not world beaters, but definitely worth the money. Compared to the CLR active wedges I own, the real difference is in the midrange clarity, especially at higher SPL, where the CLR wins every time. The low end on the 15" Seismics hang in there well, too, so that was good news.

So, same conclusion for me (so far)...for a budget priced coaxial that you don't need to worry about babysitting, the Seismic coaxial line seems like a +1...provided you get a "good" one...

...now, for the road test...

good to hear Jim
"the road test" this is where my fears lie too, so time will tell,
the other thing to keep in mind with these 12" powered wedges is that they are marketed as "Compact" coaxials.
So they are going to be a bit samller than the RCf and the CLR (the one thing I forgot to do today was take a picture of them side by side
so you can see the size differences :( )

for the 15" Seismic passives, they measure a about 19" w X 19" h x 14.5 d. at their widest points (standing in back line position), which is about 1.5" wider/taller than the CLR, and about 1.25" less deep. Not bad for a 15" wedge.

now for Tom King to get busy with a 15" version of the CLR for the low end bass freaks, LOL!!

Jay took the RCF and the CLR home so unless he gets a hold of one near him that is not going to happen for a while. :(

Jay took the RCF and the CLR home so unless he gets a hold of one near him that is not going to happen for a while. :(

Oh man, rookie mistake not taking pics. Sorry.

As Nick pointed out, the Seismic was smaller than the RCF and CLR. It looked like a smaller version of the CLR (as far as footprint). Which I'm sure attributes a bit to the slightly smaller sound.

Now you guys have me thinking about ordering another passive. I must have gotten a bad one.

Wow... did you guys run any track music through them? That would have been a good test to try out as well to see how they handle a full mix of Bass, Drums and Guitars. If the power section on this monitor holds up I can see Siesmic having a run on these this year. Just out od curiosity where did you guys have to place the EQ settings to get it to sound like the RCF/CLR?

Wow... did you guys run any track music through them? That would have been a good test to try out as well to see how they handle a full mix of Bass, Drums and Guitars. If the power section on this monitor holds up I can see Siesmic having a run on these this year. Just out od curiosity where did you guys have to place the EQ settings to get it to sound like the RCF/CLR?

Nick and I did not run music through the Active, but I did run music though the Passive when I had it. I was not impressed....but again, something may have been wrong with it.
When I borrow Jim's 15", I will run music through it.

The Eq settings were not drastic....if I remember correctly, we had both the bass and treble just about 1:00.
We tried the different settings on the Seismic (Cut, Flat, Boost), and we would compensate with the Bass/Treble knobs to get it to sound like the RCF/CLR.
None of the settings (Cut, Flat, Boost) made it 'better', they were just different. And the Bass/Treble would effectively get you back to the same place.
So if I was using, I would keep flat. It's easy when you have the CLR/RCF side by side because you can just turn the Bass/Treble on the Seismic to sound as close as possible.
But if you didn't have an RCF/CLR to compare, then I would put music through it to Eq to taste.....or compare to some studio monitors.
I would also say that a XiTone side by side would probably yield similar results (meaning you could probably use the onboard Seismic Eq, to get it to sound close to your Xitone).
I mention that because I've had a XiTone/RCF/CLR side by side, and small Eq gets them very close as well.

I'll state once again - for ME, a RCF/CLR/XiTone behind me is what I prefer....because they all have a level of clarity that I want for my backline.
But in front of me, where it's likely to get beat up.....a Seismic would be what I would prefer. Sound is very good, and I'm not going to cry when it takes a bath in Miller Lite. Well, maybe I would....it's a waste of beer.

Jay is right I have the Eq settings on the Seismic at around 1:00 on both treble and bass.
It's funny when I first got it they were set to zero and it sounded like utter crap,
but when I turned them up past noon the thing suddenly came alive. I was just working on something a little while ago Jay you've got another Email coming in a bit :)

I'm also going to run some music through mine today to see how it sounds.

It's funny when I first got it they were set to zero and it sounded like utter crap

Does that mean that the EQ knobs have a centered detent for 0?

when I turned them up past noon the thing suddenly came alive.

This kind of confirms that but wanted to ask anyway ;) .

I'm also going to run some music through mine today to see how it sounds.

I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this as well. With the monitors i have now I can run two inputs at the same time allowing me to play with tracks which I like to do.

Does that mean that the EQ knobs have a centered detent for 0?
This kind of confirms that but wanted to ask anyway ;) .
I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this as well. With the monitors i have now I can run two inputs at the same time allowing me to play with tracks which I like to do.

yes at zero on the dial they are at a -minus setting
hmmm? there are multiple inputs I wasn't going to try and run both music and my rig simultaneously but I guess I could figure out a way to do this (I have my computer going into a Polk Audio system that kicks ass I think the cable will work with the Seismic.

Ok, well JimFist let me borrow his passive 15's.
He's at band rehearsal right now while I get to throw everything I can through his Seismics. :)
Although he was nice enough to give me both of them, I'm only hooking one up (I want to focus on quality of sound, and using two may lead me to be impressed by 'size' of the sound instead).

So the 15" is a little bigger than a CLR, and I have them side by side right now.
With no EQ, at low volume, the Seismic is a lot darker....but you crank them both up and the Seismic gets brighter (and the CLR stays balanced....sounds doesn't change much based on volume).

I decided to loop a clip of my playing through my Axe so I can try to use Global Eq to get the Seismic closer to the CLR (running CLR out of Output 1, and Seismic out of Output 2 - powered by Crown K2).
The Eq can get them 'closer', but I've found there is a little bit of a stuffy sound I can't get out of the Seismics. It's not bad....but just saying they can't be Eq'd to sound exactly like the CLR. But they can be Eq'd to sound close enough so that my patches all translate well.

Going back and forth between the two for a while, I started to feel ear fatigue when using the Seismic at loud volume, but when I switched back to CLR....my ears felt fine. It felt like putting on a more comfortable pair of shoes.

I decided to pull out my JBL SR-X4072 wedge to see if it gave me any ear fatigue. Used the same Crown K2 as I used with the Seismic.
The JBL sounded very nasaly.....but did not fatigue my ears as much at loud volumes. (I'm sure ear fatigue is not proper term for what I'm feeling, but it's all I can really think of to describe it).
Going back and forth between all 3 monitors, I can say that the Seismic is closer (eq) to the CLR, but the JBL is clearer than the Seismic.

I then ran program music (and still am right now)....mainly swapping back and forth between the Seismic and JBL. The Seismic is fuller but the JBL is clearer again.
My favorite Kings X song (Goldilox) is always my test for vocal clarity. The character of Dug's voice in the first verse is something I've memorized.....and I know how it 'should' sound on a great speaker.
The Seismic sounded 'good'. It's full, and his voice came through breathy the way I know it....but the other instruments (especially snare drum) were masking it a bit.
Switch over to the JBL, and although it was not as full/beefy as the Seismic, his voice was clearer, and the snare had it's own spot in the mix.
Overall the Seismic sounded good, but the separation in the mix was clearer/cleaner in the JBL.
The CLR had the fullness and the clarity....no real surprise.

Overall I'm still really impressed what these Seismics put out for the money. It really is a great budget speaker.
But if you are going to do critical listening, then you really will notice a difference with the CLR.

As I am looking for an inexpensive monitor that is going to get beat up (as my front vocal/guitar wedge), the Seismic may be just the right thing for the job.
In this context, I can usually barely hear myself over smashing drums as it is....and I know it's going to get beat up.....so sound quality does not have to be outstanding.
And I have not heard any other speakers that sound this good, for this price.

But as far as playing in my office and really getting to enjoy the sounds the Axe puts out, I will use a RCF/CLR/XiTone. Something with outstanding sound, and I don't care if it's expensive because it's not leaving my office.

Great review! I wish you had the powered versions of these wedges to see if the complete package makes any difference in the way they sound.

Back
Top Bottom