Seismic SAX-12M-PW 12" powered coaxial monitor vs RCF VS CLR

Well... the FL went back today, as the SAX arrived. Sad to report that the SAX is defective. As the sound decays, there is a growl that shouldn't be there. So, the SAX goes back too. I'm going to have to demand all my money back on the SAX, and not have to pay for return shipping since I was sent a bad one. There is no visible damage to the box, and it was packed adequately.

It was my mistake to purchase the FL. That was just terrible. It would work for some kids' garage band rehearsal.

The SAX shows promise, but I can't give an adequate report since it's not functioning properly. Right off the bat though, it's not as punchy or clear as the CLR. But, it also doesn't beat out the Xitone. One of the reasons I want to be able to use the SAX is because it can be pole mounted. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drag my CLRs out.

So, I now have to contact Seismic for a replacement. Or, maybe I just need to looking into some kind of mount for my Xitone, since that's such a high quality wedge monitor.

So, all in all, kinda bummed. Time and money wasted.

Well... the FL went back today, as the SAX arrived. Sad to report that the SAX is defective. As the sound decays, there is a growl that shouldn't be there. So, the SAX goes back too. I'm going to have to demand all my money back on the SAX, and not have to pay for return shipping since I was sent a bad one. There is no visible damage to the box, and it was packed adequately.

It was my mistake to purchase the FL. That was just terrible. It would work for some kids' garage band rehearsal.

The SAX shows promise, but I can't give an adequate report since it's not functioning properly. Right off the bat though, it's not as punchy or clear as the CLR. But, it also doesn't beat out the Xitone. One of the reasons I want to be able to use the SAX is because it can be pole mounted. There are plenty of times when I don't want to drag my CLRs out.

So, I now have to contact Seismic for a replacement. Or, maybe I just need to looking into some kind of mount for my Xitone, since that's such a high quality wedge monitor.

So, all in all, kinda bummed. Time and money wasted.

My sax was damaged and they paid return shipping, so you should be ok.

Bummer, sounds like their QC is not up to the task. I would let Seismic know that their kind of in the spot light and a working product would really be a good thing for them.

Somes pics I took today showing the difference in size between the 12" CLR and the 12" Seismic
the "work desk" :)
DSCN3739_zpsc5ce8ad0.jpg

DSCN3744_zps494bbb42.jpg

DSCN3745_zps9ac712c4.jpg

DSCN3741_zpsd0cc7dcb.jpg

DSCN3742_zps18c2b532.jpg

Oh ya and when I feel the need for some glowing lights :)
DSCN3740_zps19cfca30.jpg

I'm considering installing a Top Hat in my Xitone. It has more power with the GM50, and is more punchy and full.

The Xitones are closer to a traditional cab. And, I think that those who don't like the CLR would love the Xitones, particularly with the new firmware! They work very well for FRFR, and I just adjust the output EQ to taste. They get deeper bass too, which I like when using for a PA.

My frustration is just that I have a student recital this weekend (in an assisted living home, actually), and was hoping to use the SAX for it. That's okay though. I'll use the Xitone on the floor. It will be loud enough.

I'm sure Seismic will do the right thing.

Are you happy with the replacement?

When I sent mine back, they didn't have any more in stock, so it was just a return.

I've decided that although it would be a suitable front vocal wedge, I want something with higher sound quality.
I'm talking to Mick at xitone about a passive wedge. The price is a little more, but well worth it as they sound great and are built like tanks.
Mick and I are also discussing the best way to 'beer proof' them as well.
Nick, when I get the passive xitone, we can compare to your seismic..

Definitely Xitone, guys. Mic is great. Beer proofing is something we all need to consider, unfortunately. Better that than a cheaper quality product.

The price range is just under the CLR, but they are two different products, and both are excellent. The choice comes down more to personal preference. The CLR is more revealing with greater projection and dispersion (more immediate and wider), and the the Xitone is more cab-like. They both have their own strong positives, and they both sound great, with high build quality.

cool are you getting a powered or passive one?

I'm going passive. I generally use a passive front wedge so that there are no electronics exposed to the 'booze waterfall' that usually hits the front of the stage.
XiTone is nice and small too, so it will have a small footprint. Just discussing different options with Mick at the moment.

My buddy Harper let me borrow a CLR powered cab, and it sounded killer behind me.
I can imagine a combo of the CLR behind, and the XiTone in front, sounding just huge.......maybe, we'll see.

Copied from the other Seismic thread:

The damaged SAX will be going back, hopefully tomorrow. (The label they sent didn't authorize FedEx pickup, which I need.)

I'm keeping the Xitone. And, after yesterday's awesome demonstration of it for a student recital, it's perfect the way it is. Seriously, check out the Xitone cabs, folks.

Mine went back today, luckily the label they sent me was fine. I will hear from them in a couple of days and decide where to go from there.
I'd like another CLR but it's just too much cash for me and I just can't justify it, so I may go with the 15" powered and give it a try.

They won't pay for FedEx pickup (it's a few dollars!). So, I'm paying that, and then I'm done with Seismic. There are other options for the items they carry.

Back
Top Bottom