SDE 3000 EVH; duplicating it in the FM3

Isn't the EVH version simply a paint job? What specifically are you trying to do in the FM3? From a high level/generic perspective I'd start with the Vintage Digital delay type (2 instances if you need it or the Dual Delay).

EDIT: Reading up, seems EVH's settings were somewhere between 250-400 on one side and 500-800 on the other, essentially 1 side 2X of the other.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if Boss put the original preamp of the SDE-3000 in the new pedal, but that's kind of the thing that makes the original stand out- and we do have that modeled- it's the SDD in the drive block. For the delay, I agree with @Will Chen , the Vintage Digital seems about right. Here's more info on building a virtual SDE-3000.

Isn't the EVH version simply a paint job? What specifically are you trying to do in the FM3? From a high level/generic perspective I'd start with the Vintage Digital delay type (2 instances if you need it or the Dual Delay).

EDIT: Reading up, seems EVH's settings were somewhere between 250-400 on one side and 500-800 on the other, essentially 1 side 2X of the other.
An “eye-grabbing EVH paint job!” according to the manual. They have four presets that they say were pulled from Van Halen’s actual rackmount units. Seems like someone could call up those presets and copy over the settings.

the outputs on the back of the EVH DDD are set-up specifically to accommodate a W/D/W setup

W/D/W means nothing in the digital world, we have a mix control. Are you trying to run a W/D/W setup? Then you need 3 monitors for that with a 100% wet delay in a parallel path routed to output 2 and the amp block output to output 1 to a monitor in the middle of the other 2 which are fed off output 2.

An “eye-grabbing EVH paint job!” according to the manual. They have four presets that they say were pulled from Van Halen’s actual rackmount units. Seems like someone could call up those presets and copy over the settings.
$600 delay. Whew. Pedals are getting kinda nuts. There's a lot of really cool stuff out at the moment, but it better be something pretty special for that price point.

Pete Thorns demo details the EVH presets

As far as getting an SDE type sound. It was a mono digital delay. The new EVH pedal has two units in it with different routing capabilities. You can use the Dual Delay, the Stereo Digital, or two mono digitals. Get familiar with series and parallel routing and how feeding one delay into the other affects the repeats. Then get familiar with modulation. Everything you need, including the SDD preamp in the drive block is in the fractal.

W/D/W means nothing in the digital world, we have a mix control. Are you trying to run a W/D/W setup? Then you need 3 monitors for that with a 100% wet delay in a parallel path routed to output 2 and the amp block output to output 1 to a monitor in the middle of the other 2 which are fed off output 2.
may be so. i am running a W/D/W setup with my AxeFx III currently. the EVH is different vs the SDE3000 and i was merely addressing your question. whether you meant it rhetorically is another matter

Maybe a bit out of content but i m still waiting to know how set cross feedback to obtain two delay in series in the dual delay block... I suppose the first 100 and the second 0? Thanks

may be so. i am running a W/D/W setup with my AxeFx III currently. the EVH is different vs the SDE3000 and i was merely addressing your question. whether you meant it rhetorically is another matter

Ah...the EVH version of the pedal has an additional dry output, gotcha. Yes, Fractal devices can handle a physical W/D/W setup without issue.

Ah...the EVH version of the pedal has an additional dry output, gotcha. Yes, Fractal devices can handle a physical W/D/W setup without issue.
I find that a stereo pair of FRFR cabs do a very convincing facsimile of W/D/W, good enough that I'm not going to bother adding another cabinet.

I find that a stereo pair of FRFR cabs do a very convincing facsimile of W/D/W, good enough that I'm not going to bother adding another cabinet.

To some degree W/D/W is a holdover from the old days. We only have 2 ears, so a proper stereo setup can provide center, left, and right content. Now, there's certainly some special somethin' somethin' from allowing stereo signals to mix in the air like with the JC-120, but the whole point there was less of a left and right but just a wash of sound bouncing around the room.

To some degree W/D/W is a holdover from the old days.
W/D/W was an attempt to do stereo without stereo amps so it took some cobbling together of who knows what craziness just to split the output to a slave and feed a stereo delay or stereo chorus, or a pair of mono delays and/or choruses.

I built a rig and it took one time using it to decide that carrying that gear and hooking it together wasn't worth the time. I settled on using a Korg digital on the slave output of my Mesa-Boogie, and connecting that to a Yamaha G50. I could get that Pat Methany stereo-mixing-in-people's-heads thing going, and that made me happy.

Back
Top Bottom