Scored a Marshall Club and Country

Any amps added that´s not there already, is a good thing in my book. The more diverse it is, is even better IMHO. I´m not liking every amp in there as of today (I´m no metalhead nor countryhead for example), but knowing that they´re there AND knowing that even more gets added is a very good positive feeling... (@FAS/Cliff: thank you! :encouragement: )

Just out of curiosity that struck me right now: what kind of amps did Chet Atkins use?
I´ve always liked his "out-of-this-world" playing/picking and know he used those Gretsch guitars and similar. And I always enjoyed his tone but always attributed that to the guitar itself without even reflecting about what amps he used...

/Mike

Any amps added that´s not there already, is a good thing in my book. The more diverse it is, is even better IMHO. I´m not liking every amp in there as of today (I´m no metalhead nor countryhead for example), but knowing that they´re there AND knowing that even more gets added is a very good positive feeling... (@FAS/Cliff: thank you! :encouragement: )

That's the way I look at it. Maybe it's not something I need at the moment, but I'd rather have a mechanic's chest full of tools than a kitchen drawer that only has one rounded off phillips screwdriver and a 6 ounce tack hammer.

Thanks Cliff! This damn box is already an encyclopedia of amplifiers. The way I see it is you're enabling history to be recreated, but also enabling the future. "Recreate any tones of the hero's past. Create the future of tones now."

Thank you for another amp I will sure try it and enjoy it.
Question Cliff.. when you get these amps do you measure all values inside as well shoot Ir's of them ?
I am doing this with several tube amps now and wondered if you recorded them as well measured all the values inside out ?
thanks for making this wonderful product most appreciated here..

HiWatt with a MXR Distortion+ gets close, but it doesn't have the darkness that you hear on Moving Pictures. SRV used to play C&C's as well for a little while.

My Limelight preset uses that set up with dual cabs. A dual amp rig (preset) would get a lot closer.

HiWatt with a MXR Distortion+ gets close, but it doesn't have the darkness that you hear on Moving Pictures. SRV used to play C&C's as well for a little while.

I was just thinking the other day that it would be pretty cool if there was a Rockman model.

+1!

Would love to see a unique amp added to the collection. That said - would super love to have a Rockman & G&L250. Owned both but sold the G&K years ago, would love to have it back in the axe :D

Hey - I had one of those for ten years until it broke. I loved it! Small, loud and good sounding. Had two 1x12" Marshall cabs when touring with it. One thing I did not like though was the loud hiss, but I guess that won't be part of the modeling :) I will never forget my GK because I used it when being a session player on a studio recording from where a radio hit eventually came out and every time I hear a song on the radio with me am my 250 ml I miss it badly. I picked that combo by ear in a music store; it was the amp that sounded best of all and at the time it was new and I knew nothing about it. What caught my ear was the low latency, much faster response than the tube amps I had played up until then. Solid state design and small 10" built-in speakers, very fast and responsive amp. He, he... sorry for the nostalgic outburst.

I had one too, awesome little amp and the chorus and echo sounded killer. I used it with the 2x10 (or were they 8"?) and would bring it to rehearsal and gigs pushing 2 - Marshall 1965 4x10's...also great! I am a huge Alex fan including Power Windows.

people kill me sometimes, lol. "i don't like so it therefore it sucks and should not be modeled"....

is this the only place people gripe about getting more products, more functionality and incredible customer service...for free....for the lifetime of their product....which is already light years better than anything on the market?? i mean, seriously....

people kill me sometimes, lol. "i don't like so it therefore it sucks and should not be modeled"....

is this the only place people gripe about getting more products, more functionality and incredible customer service...for free....for the lifetime of their product....which is already light years better than anything on the market?? i mean, seriously....

Exactly what he said. So true.

Also, it seemed to be good enough for Alex to make Moving pictures with, perhaps you should try it? I know lots of people that had the same attitude about the Marshall Club & Country, only about Digital Amp Modelers........

My Limelight preset uses that set up with dual cabs. A dual amp rig (preset) would get a lot closer.
The last time I looked, my "Permanent Waves" patch was running 2 HiWatts in parallel, one for clean effects and the other for distortion. On the "Moving Pictures" patch, I was using a JTM-45 with a Twin tonestack for the dirty channel and that seemed to be pretty close in tone to all those demos of the C&C on youtube by all those SRV wannabes. All of the amps on the patches were through cabs loaded with Big Al's favorite speaker, the Greenback. On the JTM, I was going back and forth on whether to go with the 4x12 Greenback cab or the JBL loaded 2x12 Twin cab. Alex Lifeson used to prefer Twin's loaded with the JBL's for the clean side amps back in the 2112 days. I have no idea what the speakers were in the C&C or what Lerxst changed them to.

I am looking forward to having the C&C modeled.

The last time I looked, my "Permanent Waves" patch was running 2 HiWatts in parallel, one for clean effects and the other for distortion. On the "Moving Pictures" patch, I was using a JTM-45 with a Twin tonestack for the dirty channel and that seemed to be pretty close in tone to all those demos of the C&C on youtube by all those SRV wannabes. All of the amps on the patches were through cabs loaded with Big Al's favorite speaker, the Greenback. On the JTM, I was going back and forth on whether to go with the 4x12 Greenback cab or the JBL loaded 2x12 Twin cab. Alex Lifeson used to prefer Twin's loaded with the JBL's for the clean side amps back in the 2112 days. I have no idea what the speakers were in the C&C or what Lerxst changed them to.

Just curious, when you mention these are running "in paralell" within the same patch are the amps actually blended together at the output in some type of dual amp setup? Or are you going in stereo and passing one amp through one side, one through the other? Or is this just a cool way to simplify your switching all within one patch? Using scenes? I'd love to see a picture of this signal.

Just curious, when you mention these are running "in paralell" within the same patch are the amps actually blended together at the output in some type of dual amp setup? Or are you going in stereo and passing one amp through one side, one through the other? Or is this just a cool way to simplify your switching all within one patch? Using scenes? I'd love to see a picture of this signal.
PermanentWaves.jpg

Yes, they are blended together. I wanted to get the depth that you hear at the beginning of "Freewill" that you can't get with one amp. Something that has punch, but clear enough to hear every note. The distortion channel is bass heavy to bring out the grunt. The clean channel has more treble to accent the shimmer. I tuned them so they'd sound like a balanced single HiWatt tone when all the effects are off. With the stereo effects on, it gives the impression of three channels, Left, Right, and Center.

I put it together before scenes and have yet to tweak it for 11.03; but when I do, I will probably roll "Moving Pictures" into it. At the time I last messed with it, I was unsatisfied with the sound of the Plus drive block, so I was tweaking another germanium diode drive block, the Fat Rat, with more satisfactory results.

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm looking forward to revising my patch, and I will try some of your recommendations. I forget, was yours a tone match?

Back
Top Bottom