Scenes in Ax8 versus Axe II

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Scenes are not seamless in switching between pre sets with Ax8 (unless I am missing something), and its been a while since I had my Axe II but if I remember correctly scenes can switch seamlessly in that unit. If this statement is correct why would the Ax8 not provide seamless switching.

Is it possible for future FW updates?

If you have no X/Y switching on both Ax8 or Axe FX 2, it should be as close as seemless as possible. The gap will be present on both unit if there's a block being switched X/Y.

I'm still rather new to the AX8, but I think the biggest epiphany I've had was that you DO NOT have to change a preset when you have 8 scenes within each preset to choose from and X/Y parameters to choose from. Once that light bulb went off, programming the AX8 to work for me went much smoother! I really don't really have any problems even when changing a scene where the X/Y parameter is changed unless its changing the amp model.

If you have no X/Y switching on both Ax8 or Axe FX 2, it should be as close as seemless as possible. The gap will be present on both unit if there's a block being switched X/Y.

Very true but the reason for the pre set or scene change is to switch to say;
A) A Lead channel with a Y amp for hotter gain and volume as well as Y for more delay and or reverb
B) A clean channel with a different amp and say less delay both needing a Y setting

You seem to be speaking only about scenes which confine you to two amps and X/Y in each effect. This led me back to pre sets which has much more flexibility but the same Gap in between hence this thread.

Maybe you can share a strategy to be able to do this in either pre set mode or scene mode?

It has been discussed that Scene switching is without delay or hiccup as long as blocks are being turned on or off. What is loaded when the preset is first selected is loaded for all Scenes. If you go from an X AMP to a Y AMP there will be a delay for loading the model. If you run parallel amps with the lead amp OFF in Scene 1 you can have Scene 2 just change the AMP block that is on.

It has been discussed that Scene switching is without delay or hiccup as long as blocks are being turned on or off. What is loaded when the preset is first selected is loaded for all Scenes. If you go from an X AMP to a Y AMP there will be a delay for loading the model. If you run parallel amps with the lead amp OFF in Scene 1 you can have Scene 2 just change the AMP block that is on.

Only workable method for what I need so far -thanks for the reminder. I think this was suggested before and I never pursued setting them up this way.
I will see how it goes, thanks for the suggestion!

Bummer is for live use I do need a 2nd type of amp requiring me to set up a 2nd bank for that.
Not the end of the world but one more thing to change when switching guitars.
Ideally I would do everything in one Bank.

To get a better picture of what I need all in one Bank

1) 2 separate Vol/gain levels for rhythm and lead work, which means the parallel amp thing with the same amp would work. (a filter for lead boost does not work for me -a2nd amp with hotter signal is much more effective to me)

2)Gain dry/ Clean dry with different amps, requiring changing banks.

Last edited:
you can not use 2 amps with the ax-8, so that will not help here. you can how ever make lots of changes with scene controllers with out gap.

I love listening to advice from people who do not even own and Axe8..............
It is true you cannot have two amps in a pre set with the Axe8

Back to pre sets and the GAP between them

try using the amp of your choice for the main toneof the preset, and then alter the scenes with scene controllers, drives, filters, eq, etc and see what you can get. A little time tweaking the amp with scene controllers can get you from mild to wild, and eq can really change the over all tone. as long as you do not X-Y any effects the gap will be near to none.

Very true but the reason for the pre set or scene change is to switch to say;
A) A Lead channel with a Y amp for hotter gain and volume as well as Y for more delay and or reverb
B) A clean channel with a different amp and say less delay both needing a Y setting

You seem to be speaking only about scenes which confine you to two amps and X/Y in each effect. This led me back to pre sets which has much more flexibility but the same Gap in between hence this thread.

Maybe you can share a strategy to be able to do this in either pre set mode or scene mode?

I just got my AX8 in the last week and I'm exactly where you are here. I'm bummed with the un-seamless switching in those scenarios, and posed the same questions earlier today.. The answer I got re: the Scene controllers seems to be the best one using scenario A above, but don't think it'd help with scenario B. . . PLUS I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but time to watch a tutorial video now. . . Let me know if you've figured anything out :) Eric

EDIT: Figured out scene controllers and gain adjustment .. Programmed something quickly and it still doesn't seem to be totally seamless when going from 1 scene to another. . Almost but not totally because the footswitches catch on the way up instead of down maybe.. hmmmm

Last edited:
Actually, for my AX II (and XL) it's seamless for me (not counting when Axe-Edit and USB is connected).

I thought that was the whole point of scenes. So yes, the latency is a bit of a disappointment with the AX8 for me (aside from reverb resource CPU management). I too am hopeful this will be addressed in the near future firmware release(s).

No big deal; in the meantime I'll use it in stomp-box mode.
There are ways to get it to be seemless but not every scenario is able to be seemless. I am using a one amp version of my ii preset. The ii version has two amps but besides that they are the same preset and in most cases lots of my changes are seemless but some stuff just isn't ie doing a bunch of xy changes at once with setting no where close to the others.

Scenes are not seamless in switching between pre sets with Ax8
A little clarification would go a long way here. Are you switching scenes or presets? In a few places, you've used these terms interchangeably, and they're not interchangeable. :)

A little clarification would go a long way here. Are you switching scenes or presets? In a few places, you've used these terms interchangeably, and they're not interchangeable. :)

You make a good point.. .I know this is directed at the OP but I'm switching scenes, and I don't find them 100% seamless, compared to switching in pedals with a regular tube amp setup. There's definitely a lag time (when X/Y'ing amps with the scene change). Eric

Last edited:
You make a good point.. .I know this is directed at the OP but I'm switching scenes, and I don't find them 100% seamless, compared to switching in pedals with a regular tube amp setup. There's definitely a lag time. Eric
I don't get any lag. A couple of things to look for:

- If AX8-Edit is connected, it will slow down the hardware's response unless you pause the editor.

- The footswitches activate when they're released (not when they're depressed) unless you've disable press-and-hold in the global menu.

I don't get any lag. A couple of things to look for:

- If AX8-Edit is connected, it will slow down the hardware's response unless you pause the editor.

- The footswitches activate when they're released (not when they're depressed) unless you've disable press-and-hold in the global menu.

There's DEFINITELY a lag compared to using pedals and a regular amp. I'm not using Ax8-Edit at all. Just using every method possible so far to vary the gain on an amp -model on ax8. The latest method is using the scene controllers and there's definitely still a lag after stepping on the footswitch to change scenes. I'm presuming it's because they activate when released instead of depressed. .. Maybe I can try to disable that. .

Filter blocks are great way to vary gain on any given amp and it's seamless

Can you tell me how you're setting up the 'filter blocks'? I tried tonight briefly and it worked pretty well but just curious if you have a good way? :) THANKS, Eric

Yep no problem, i setup one in front of the amp and just bring the level up to bout 10db it pushes a crunch tone into hi gain. And then another block after the amp with only 3 or 5db level increase for solo boost which is the amp just louder no effect on gain. The good thing i've found with the filter blocks setup is all i adjust is the level. Hope this helps in some way

If you compare using a tube amp with pedals in front, and say that is gapless switching, you really should compare to using the Ax8 in stomp box mode, which is also gapless.

I already posted this a few times, but here is an 8 scene preset that goes from ultra-clean (no amp at all) to clean (with amp), edge of break-up, boosted amp and all out gain - It is completely gapless, and I only use the x-state of the amp block - I do not even use scene controllers. Filters and drives are everything.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-trouble-id-be-satisfied.115145/#post-1376957

Here is my old post on tips for dealing with the audio drop out http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tips-for-dealing-with-the-audio-drop-out.112699/

Back
Top Bottom