Scenes and amp gain

Cale0906

How can you use scenes to have varying stages of gain within the same preset or amp?

I much prefer to increase the gain of the amp in a preset rather than use overdrives but each time I would setup a scene with a little more gain than the original amp setting in that preset , the gain would change in every scene . Am I doing something wrong or are scenes not intended to be used in this manor ?

:nightmare:

I'm not sure you can do this at the moment. The amp settings stay the same I think. You'd have to use x/y.

Use different drive pedals in different scenes.

Keep in mind you wouldn't be able to vary gain live with a tube amp either unless it were a Triaxis or other MIDI controlled amp.

You cannot change block parameters with scenes. Only engage/bypass states and a few other things.

How can you use scenes to have varying stages of gain within the same preset or amp?

I much prefer to increase the gain of the amp in a preset rather than use overdrives but each time I would setup a scene with a little more gain than the original amp setting in that preset , the gain would change in every scene . Am I doing something wrong or are scenes not intended to be used in this manor ?

:nightmare:

What you want isn't possible using scenes. The spirit of scenes, or rather the reason they were implemented in the first place (imho of course) was just to minimize how much tap dancing a guitar player needs to do within a given patch, so you could do things like press one button instead of three to turn on a drive pedal, delay, and a volume boost, for example.

However, if you want to slowly increase gain as you move through sounds, just use regular old presets. That should get you what you're looking for.

If you don't want to use drive pedals, use 2 amps and X/Y. That will gives you 4 scenes of the same amp with various gain settings, from almost clean to extreme hi gain if you want. Scene 1 amp 1X with gain at 2, sc2 amp 1Y gain 4, sc3 amp 2x gain 6/7, sc4 amp 2Y gain 8/10

You can have a maximum of 2 amp blocks in a patch, both of which have "X" & "Y" settings, essentially making it 4 amps sims in a patch with whatever settings you want.

So if you want a patch with the same amp, but with varying amounts of gain in the different Scenes, set up a patch with 2 Amp blocks, have both Amp 1 X&Y/Amp 2 X&Y set exactly the same, except for the Amp's Drive control. Now using Scenes and the Amp block's X/Y feature, you can have 4 Scenes using the same Amp model, each one with the amount of gain you want.

For example, your patch could be set up like this (the 2 Amp blocks should be ran parallel to each other on the grid, with their Bypass Modes all set to "Mute"):

Scene 1 - Amp 1, "X" settings (Amp 2 is bypassed) - Very light gain
Scene 2 - Amp 1, "Y" settings (Amp 2 is bypassed) - Medium gain
Scene 3 - Amp 2, "X" settings (Amp 1 is bypassed) - Heavy gain
Scene 4 - Amp 2, "Y" settings (Amp 1 is bypassed) - Super high gain

Also you can use a volume pedal or a filter set to Null with different level settings to boost or cut the drive to an amp

Thanks guys for replies ..... i think amp 1&2 and X Y settings will get me where i want to be . I was hoping to take advantage of the scenes to do this because of its seamless operation !!

:encouragement:

You'll find there's a slight delay (or drop out) in the signal when switching amps, although it doesn't bother me. Might be an issue during a gig though.. just an FYI and some of these other suggestions get your around that issue.

Is simply turning down the vol knob on your guitar an option? That's what I typically do. I set up the amp block for the maximum amount of gain that I'll need and then just adjust using my vol knob. This, however, doesn't work so well IMO on guitars without a treble bleed mod because turning the vol down results in too much treble loss.

Back
Top Bottom