Scene Controller Presence

powerslave88

Inspired
Hey guys!

Long term Fractal user, just upgraded to the FM9 - loving it!

I'm wanting to use scene controllers so I have a more tailored crunch sound within my scenes that also allows for gapless switching (I'm using Amp 1 for clean, Amp 2 for distortion so scene controller is the obvious choice to allow for this).

All going great...but it won't let me assign a scene controller to presence - there's no yellow dot, it's the only control that doesn't have one. I noticed on various instructional vids that this wasn't the case - is this something idiomatic to the Brit 800 amp I'm using? So far I have SC1 set for input drive, SC2 set for Treble and I just need one more for presence and I'll be laughing!

Cheers everyone!

If the open dot is not there, you cannot add a modifier, like you said. I don't know why, maybe add a wish... if there isn't already one?
Maybe this post will give you some ideas to work around this, because it enables switching 8 amps gapless.
Or you can post the preset and someone could have a solution.

Last edited:
I just did this using a Plexi 50..I just bumped the mid and treble a little and got pretty close to the same sound. Just went back and looked at it, and I also added the fat switch. I did a similar one with the Small Box and didn't need to do much...just lowered the bass a little when I increased the gain. It's a little more work, but I think you can get around it. YMMV

Last edited:
I imagine since the presence control is generally part of the power amp section modifiers aren't enabled on there to avoid any potential nasty instabilities.

One workaround would be to attach a modifier/s to band/s in the amp block GEQ.

Ah cool thanks guys, wanted to make sure I hadn't fucked anything up in the block! Will have a play around with those work arounds - like I say, looks like its modifiable in some other amps so I guess just not in this particular Marshall and other amps for some reason potentially like 2112 suggested!

All going great...but it won't let me assign a scene controller to presence - there's no yellow dot, it's the only control that doesn't have one. I noticed on various instructional vids that this wasn't the case - is this something idiomatic to the Brit 800 amp I'm using? So far I have SC1 set for input drive, SC2 set for Treble and I just need one more for presence and I'll be laughing!

I believe that should work. The presence has a yellow dot and can be controlled by a scene controller on the Axe-FX, even for the Brit800.

That should work. The presence has a yellow dot and can be controlled by a scene controller on the Axe-FX, even for the Brit800.
I mean if I can get it with the yellow dot that would solve the problem immediately - I'll post a screenshot of the patch to show the problem and then the patch itself to see if I've done anything really shit.

EDIT 3 Updated the preset AGAIN - pretty happy with it now, its there for anyone who wants it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.48.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.48.24.png
    612.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Wardy Preset.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yeah interesting - as you can see in my screenshot it aint there! I've played around just now and increased the gain and added fat switch and to be honest it's pretty much in the ball park of what I want, so no urgency in terms of tone now - but still would be good to know if anything's weird in there!

Yeah interesting - as you can see in my screenshot it aint there! I've played around just now and increased the gain and added fat switch and to be honest it's pretty much in the ball park of what I want, so no urgency in terms of tone now - but still would be good to know if anything's weird in there!
Your screenshot shows FM9-Edit and Glenn's shows Axe-Edit III.

It may be an differenced between FM9 and Axe Fx III or it may be between the editors.

If other amp models have it then most likely it's a bug. Check from the front panel and see if it shows up there.

When a control seems to not be acting right, or is missing, it’s worth forcing Edit to “Refresh after new firmware”. Also, confirm you are running the latest Edit version.

Thanks guys - its FW 4.01 on the edit - the yellow SC marker isn't on the front panel either and I've just done that refresh - guessing it's just not possible on the FM9 with this amp - not to worry, got it sounding more than useable for my shows! But yeah, definitely following this to see if there's anything else I may have missed

Also, whilst I'm here - anyone know how to make Layout 2 (scenes, which I've modified to be my personal layout) the default layout on powering on the FM9? Currently it switches on to Layout 1 and then I press Scenes to take it to my layout - seems like such a lazy thing for me to be looking to change but every little helps if it's possible haha!

Also, whilst I'm here - anyone know how to make Layout 2 (scenes, which I've modified to be my personal layout) the default layout on powering on the FM9? Currently it switches on to Layout 1 and then I press Scenes to take it to my layout - seems like such a lazy thing for me to be looking to change but every little helps if it's possible haha!
I'm not aware of such a feature, but you can swap Layout 1 and 2 by exporting and importing them.

Thanks guys - its FW 4.01 on the edit - the yellow SC marker isn't on the front panel either and I've just done that refresh - guessing it's just not possible on the FM9 with this amp - not to worry, got it sounding more than useable for my shows! But yeah, definitely following this to see if there's anything else I may have missed
I mean if I can get it with the yellow dot that would solve the problem immediately - I'll post a screenshot of the patch to show the problem and then the patch itself to see if I've done anything really shit.

EDIT 3 Updated the preset AGAIN - pretty happy with it now, its there for anyone who wants it :)
Click on the “ideal“ tab and see if the yellow dot is there. Even though the screenshots posted are from different editors (FM9 Edit vs AXE3 Edit), the AXE3 screenshot shows the “ideal” tab selected.

I'll check it later and report to the private beta team if confirmed.

Which controls are allowed assignment isn't done on a model by model basis as far as I'm aware. If it's assignable to other amps it's most likely a bug.

Click on the “ideal“ tab and see if the yellow dot is there. Even though the screenshots posted are from different editors (FM9 Edit vs AXE3 Edit), the AXE3 screenshot shows the “ideal” tab selected.
I just checked this myself. No yellow dot under the presence knob on the “ideal” page either.

Just checked the ideal tab too and no yellow dot for me either - interestingly I just loaded a bunch of random amps and there's no yellow dot for ANY of the presence controls - so either presence isn't controllable by scene controllers or I'm doing something wrong (likely haha) or there's some sort of bug with my software if all of you guys can control it?

Thanks for looking into this everyone! Like I say, happy with my tone now but would be interesting to know :)

Back
Top Bottom