Scared and frustrated

I am running a Mac. I installed the application in my /applications. My workspace follows this path:

ashley/documents/fractal audio/workspace/AxeEdit

At this point, there is no folder or file that leads me to the settings file that I need to delete in order to make Axe-Edit work. Do I simply need to delete Axe-Edit and all of the AxeEdit files off of my hard drive? Thanks again.

ashley/library/preferences/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.settings

pref files don't always show up on a Spotlight search, so best to navigate to it.

Danny W.

ashley/documents/fractal audio/workspace/AxeEdit

All you have to do is delete
/Users/ashley/Library/Preferences/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.settings

You do not need to reinstall. Deleting that file will cause Axe Edit to lose its settings of course so you'll have to set the midi io again. None of the workspace is destroyed. I believe this failure to start occurs when you set the source to "Preset Folder" and then quit Axe Edit. The next startup fails. I can repeat this. Until this is fixed, just set the Source to Axe-Fx and then quit.

You said you either use your iMac (speakers on the iMac??) or your headphones. You will have much better luck creating presets in a good pair of headphones that you understand. If you are using the iMac speakers, it will be very difficult to create useable presets. Also, use a reference song that has a guitar tone you're interested in.

Last edited:
I run on a mac with the newest version and had to delete preferences a couple of times, but it is working for me.

I would second the recommendation for headphones over Imac speakers, but use headphones plugged into your imac while monitoring the axe running into your DAW (Logic, Garage Band etc). I am not
a big fan of editing with headphones through the axe headphone jack...I was way disappointed monitoring it this way, but when I plugged into a PA I was pleased with the tones.

I have also heard of people using the bose speakers and not being pleased with overdrives (the first time I heard of this was on the Line 6 forum...so it is not just the axe!). Bose has marketed themselves as an audiophile company, but those of us who work with professional audio for live sound know that the bose products are far from accurate reproduction and add their sonic signature to whatever is fed to them, which is not so good in my opinion (too "hyped" eq-wise). They work ok for playback of mp3/cd/etc, but I would thing for editing your axe presets a good set of headphones plugged into the Imac monitoring the axe would be a more accurate approach than the Bose. Don't mean to put the speakers down, but they are presenting at least part of the issue.

Am I understanding correctly that you are monitoring a $2.5k machine over 50 cents worth of speakers - and are surprised it doesn't sound good?
The rule of the weakest link...

you need to get decent monitors.

look into Focal or ADAMs, I'd personally advise against Genelecs (unless you get a killer deal), but that's just me.

Cliff statet that for high gain sounds amps do not make much of a difference, the cabs do.
When even different amps sound similar, then is obvisious that tweaking the amp settings only is not enough. Searching a good cab/ IR/ combination of cabs is a very important step.
The good thing about it: Once you found the cabs that work for you, you can take these for all of your presets. The time for the cabs is a good and lasting invest.

@ antcarrier - Right now I am shaping my sounds by plugging my USB cable into the iMac and running a simple stereo audio track in Logic. When I need to be absolutely quiet I plug my ATH-M50 headphones right into the Axe.

hum..

I also have ATH-M50, and I must say i feal they sound brittle and lack some low mids and bass... they could be why you feal like you get carboard sound... I usa Mackie MR8 to mix and build sounds, then the headphones to chek mids and above... (i.e.: corrections to parts of the sound)

anyway, for building sound, try to get some studio speaker (even if not top quality : Alesis Monitor 1 Active MKII Powered Monitors: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend )

MR8 were a big revelation for me...

my 2 cents.

nico

Hey guys!

Didn't think the thread would see this much action. I am not monitoring over the iMac speakers. I have a pair of Adam A7's. And I feel as though the ATH-M50's are doing a pretty good job as well (good bottom end for me, low mids might be lacking). I will have to try monitoring through my Saffire interface when it's quiet. Perhaps the tone will be better. I'm also going to try hooking my axe up to monitor through the line inputs rather than USB 2.0 to see if that makes any difference. One thing at a time.

As I said before, my statements were made in a period of despair. This probably isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. It's probably mostly my frustration with the constant knob-twisting that, with each tweak, isn't really helping me get to where I want to go. When I play with a single amp and mono hi-res cabinet, it sounds a lot closer to what I'm looking for. It's when I get into stereo and any of the advanced amp settings and cabinet selections that things start to get iffy.

Mark - I sure hope you are right. It's just that it doesn't console me much when I obviously have so little understanding right now about the triode and transistor gains/frequency cuts as it is. Pentode might just make my head explode. I will get over this. Albeit, without ears, it's tough to listen to high gain sounds. But Evelyn Glennie did it, so why can't I? :D

I will have to consider looking into custom IRs for the cabinets, although my wife may just punch me in the face when I talk to her about it. I did, in fact, just buy a pretty expensive studio set up. Any free stuff out there that's awesome?

I guess the way to put it is that the high gain sounds I'm getting out of the Axe-II settings are pretty lo-fi sounding. That, in part, is due to my guitar. I have no illusions about trying to get modern high gain tones out of an alder Mexican Strat (macassar ebony neck/fretboard by Warmoth) with 250k pots and a SD JB SH4 humbucker in it. I know this is partly the issue, because when I bypass everything, I can hear that there are EQ issues right out of the instrument. I would be endlessly wanking on a BRJ that will be much more tailored to what I'm seeking. Unfortunately, the ebony fretboard had a hairline fracture in it, and it had to go back to wood shop. It should be in my hands by mid-late November.

Right now, it's a bit akin to pummeling a giant grizzly bear with a side of tasty, peppered bacon. The bear is confused and doesn't know if I'm trying to feed or make fun of him (The bear is a high gain amp sim). I get close, but in the end, it sounds like I'm back in the 70's. Cleans and slightly gritty tones are super great. I'm loving it big time. Plexi tones, Shiva cleans, Fender Reverbs, AC-30 = wicked. Recto, Das Metall, Peavey 6160, Energyball = not so much. As in, hmmm... maybe a strat doesn't sound so good trying to play progressive metal?

Partly, it is my room. I can hear when I play through my monitors that there are some frequency freaks hanging out in the corners and bouncing off my walls. I have nine foot ceilings with nice big corners for all those nice, long, low frequencies to get trapped in. I would have already put up treatment, but spent about 2.5 weeks looking for/talking with acoustician/installation companies in the area (Boise "nowhereville" Idaho) only to be lead on about being able to order OC 703, and then never hearing back. Now, as it turns out, my wife's car might need a new heater core - to the tune of $1,000. So it might be a good thing I waited.

The Axe-Edit issues - grape, bolarry, danny, et al - the reason I'm doing a total re-install is so that I can make sure I put the program and it's corresponding folders into a file path where I don't change where it's being installed (whoops). I have searched, queried, followed all my file extensions dealing with Fractal Audio, and I'm telling you - there was no Axe-Edit.settings file anywhere on my system. Weird as it is, I just couldn't find it. I will re-install later today and will hopefully find out what it is I'm looking for.

And now it's off to work to get my management pre-training. An extra $400 a month will not hurt. I had pretty funny dreams last night. I was being chased through a parking garage by a bunch of little Axe-fx's... with teeth. There was even one driving a classic car (maybe a 57 Chevy) that was trying to run me over. Oh brain, you so funny! Thanks again guys, and I'm hoping that with the advice you've given me and fixing the major issues I've been having, I will sooner than later be starting a thread called "Awesome and Ridiculous".

As in, hmmm... maybe a strat doesn't sound so good trying to play progressive metal?

think more in terms of.... single coil pups and hi-gain not being a great combination rather than specifically a Strat and hi-gain..

I have a '78 USA Strat with a hotrail at the bridge...
it metals up nice an' perdee..

On a recommendation from a kind forumite I DLed a shareware program called "CleanMyMac" that does
a fine job of uninstalling programs ( among other things ) and finding leftovers from software that somehow
winds up in obscure corners of one's filesystem.

Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks! CleanMyMac

I used it to uninstall Axe-Edit when I was having earlier issues and it found all the orphan pieces that merely deleting the program container missed.

I'm surprised when I see people having problems with Axe-FX II. I never owned a Fractal product and was blown away that it took me minutes to have a great tone. People shouldn't mess with the "advanced" stuff too much. Alot of that is automatic in each patch with the Axe-FX II.

I'm using a Mosvalve MV-942 power amp into two Marshall cabs and the Orange Recto just slays thru it. I just love this thing. I have never upgraded the unit since I bought it. Afraid I'll lose my presets. :)

And the fact is a Yugo was a car...

Unfortunately Im beginning to believe this.

Apparently they hold their value well. If this 3.0 update doesn't do it for me I'm going to look ino reselling.

QSC's w/ a mixer is going to be the way to go I think.

As stated previously, part of my comments were just out of the depths of sheer insanity regarding pretty epic, day-long adventures into tweaking. I've learned not to spend as much time.

A big problem with the tone issue is the macassar ebony neck/fretboard combo. While it feels awesome, it adds a really unique aspect to the tone that sounds great with cleans and mildly overdriven guitar. But you get that gain going a bit too much and it just makes some really weird formants and EQ issues. It was an impulse buy as it was a sale and it was before I knew a whole lot about tone woods. Should have stayed with maple.

Easy solution, download Mark Day eruption pre set dial back the presence and reverb to like 12% click off the delay and you have drop tuning metal mania you can even scoop it to taste, click the delay back on and you have solo tone. Work from there. His pre sets are a great place to start.Also use a cab, the frfr thing is ok but turn off the cab sims and go into a 4x12 or better yet 2 4x12 cabs and crank it up. Apart from doing this at least once you cannot experience it's potential. It feels and sounds like an amp! also the Friedman HBE and BE factory pre sets with a slightly scooped eq are amazing, the Fender for cleans and the Friedman for gain is a ll i run.

Last edited:
I forgot that in Lion, the Library directory is not visible in the Finder. But you can do this in the terminal.

Start the Terminal application (Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
type:

ls /Users/ashley/Library/Preferences/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/

followed by return. That should display one file called Axe-Edit.settings.

To delete it use the rm command:

rm /Users/ashley/Library/Preferences/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/Axe-Edit.settings

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this, especially with the Axe-edit help. Believe me when I say I had queried, written numerous file paths, followed all of the preferences file path's to their logical end, and looked in every folder having to do with Axe-Edit. There was no Axe-Edit.settings file stored on my computer - at least that I could find. I have assassinated every file that I could find having to do with Axe-Edit and will do a full re-install under the automatic file path that is given to me when I run the install program again. If I run into the same problem, I should be able to find what I'm looking for this time. I am looking forward to the updates that are coming, and will hopefully be on the road to tonal nirvana soon enough. Thanks again!

I had a similar experience when I had my Axe II. I started to freak out a little bit because I just wasn't getting there on the tone. I found one of Mark Day's presets was in the ballpark and I was not only able to tweak that to get my sound from there but I also (as if by magic) started having more luck on other amp types. Getting one sound working might at least help your head. :)

I don't understand when people don't understand people that have trouble getting a great tone off the bat.

I have to say that I also once owned a pair of L1's (the first model that came out).
I was dis-satisfied with the sound I got until I switched to a particular EQ setting and re-tweaked ALL my patches to suit the L1's. They definitely have their own sound, but they are great for what they do - fill a room!

I've since moved to small Acoustic Image Corus amp and haven't looked back. Expensive, but Man! it matches the AXE-FX so well. and much lighter than the Bose. Caveat: I don't use a lot of distortion in my playiing.

Back
Top Bottom