Scared and frustrated

So I've been working. Hard. And I still feel as though everything I do on the Axe-II sounds like total crap when it comes to high gain stuff. I get into even the simple parameters and I can dial in a "workable" tone. But as soon as I get into the advanced stuff, I feel like I just get lost in the knob-tweaking. Granted, I'm working with a Mexican Lone Star Strat with a SD SH-4 in the bridge, and I've got a macassar ebony neck/fretboard on it, and I know that it's screwing with my ability to do much modern tone work. Still, I work and work, and occasionally I find something I like and feel is getting better. I save the patch, wake up the next morning, and it sounds like dirt to me again.

It frustrates me to no end. I sat for a day reading and researching every aspect of the advanced settings, but I still don't get the same results that others seem to be getting without much trouble. And now Cliff is talking about more stuff to tweak and I feel like I'm already way, WAY behind. I am getting a bit despondent about it all.

I've tried working in hi-res mono just sitting, experimenting. I see a lot of people using custom IRs, but I'm afraid since I already don't understand the Axe-II in it's simplest state that I shouldn't add anything else to the equation. I would love to download some patches from other people, but I tried and now Axe-edit crashes every time I open it. I tried finding the settings file and deleting it, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer. I'm waiting back from support for a little more information on completely uninstalling the Axe-edit and trying it again. Along with the USB 2.0 issues I've been having, I'm about at wits end. Is there any advice anyone can give me without belittling me by saying that I'm obviously not interested in investing time into making high quality sounds? Because I am, and I feel like total poo about music life at this very moment.

Spec, take a deep breath, man. We've all been in the position of tweaking and tweaking something til we think it sounds perfect, and then coming back the next day to find out that it doesn't all that good at all. You need to give yourself a break. Make sure you give your ears about a 30 minute rest between tweak sessions, and rest frequently, so that you can come back with reasonably fresh ears. I've found this makes a huge difference for me. Above all, for right now keep it very simple. Amp->Cab. That's it. Make sure to use the EQ at the end of the amp model. It'll pay you great dividends.

So I've been working. Hard. And I still feel as though everything I do on the Axe-II sounds like total crap when it comes to high gain stuff. I get into even the simple parameters and I can dial in a "workable" tone. But as soon as I get into the advanced stuff, I feel like I just get lost in the knob-tweaking. Granted, I'm working with a Mexican Lone Star Strat with a SD SH-4 in the bridge, and I've got a macassar ebony neck/fretboard on it, and I know that it's screwing with my ability to do much modern tone work. Still, I work and work, and occasionally I find something I like and feel is getting better. I save the patch, wake up the next morning, and it sounds like dirt to me again.

It frustrates me to no end. I sat for a day reading and researching every aspect of the advanced settings, but I still don't get the same results that others seem to be getting without much trouble. And now Cliff is talking about more stuff to tweak and I feel like I'm already way, WAY behind. I am getting a bit despondent about it all.

I've tried working in hi-res mono just sitting, experimenting. I see a lot of people using custom IRs, but I'm afraid since I already don't understand the Axe-II in it's simplest state that I shouldn't add anything else to the equation. I would love to download some patches from other people, but I tried and now Axe-edit crashes every time I open it. I tried finding the settings file and deleting it, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer. I'm waiting back from support for a little more information on completely uninstalling the Axe-edit and trying it again. Along with the USB 2.0 issues I've been having, I'm about at wits end. Is there any advice anyone can give me without belittling me by saying that I'm obviously not interested in investing time into making high quality sounds? Because I am, and I feel like total poo about music life at this very moment.
I've been there and will probably be there again.
Talk to support tomorrow and get axe edit straightened out.
Download some patches of amps you like and adopt aspects of those presets that you like.
You can really learn by looking at other peoples presets.
Do any one the initial 36 or so simple presets use amps you like? Maybe start with just the amp & cab from the stock simple presets turn everything else off and dial something in with your ears without using your eyes to tell you where the knobs should be.
Good Luck & hang in there.

go simple,

od-amp-cab

get a good sound with that 1st,

try a od808 with drive at 0 and volume at 10, then a high gain amp with low gain, and chek the 4x12 cab until you get one you like

when you get good at simple things, then add a second cab, play with mics, PEQ, etc...

if you ever fix your axe-edit, pm me and i'll send you a couple patch to look at so you can start there

nico

As the above several said. Go simple first. We have ALL been there. Breathe in... breathe out! :)

Seriously, I doubt there is a single user that has not hit that wall with the AxeFx at one time or another regardless of skill level.

As for Axe Edit, what platform? If its Windows I can help you out. Mac's... not so much. There are plenty here that can though.

Give us your specifics with platform and where you installed the application along with the workspace...

Last edited:
First off, thanks for the advice guys. Part of this is just me having a freakout moment right before something good happens. I do need to learn to step away from the Axe more often, lest I slowly become one with the Axe-hole. Onward and upward.

@ antcarrier - Right now I am shaping my sounds by plugging my USB cable into the iMac and running a simple stereo audio track in Logic. When I need to be absolutely quiet I plug my ATH-M50 headphones right into the Axe.

@Shemihazazel - I think you are probably right. I need to go back to just working with an amp and cab scenario. So you mean to say that I should just work with the EQ available in the third page in on the amp block? I've seen a few different EQ profiles that people use. I will have to work more on that. Do you use any boosts anywhere along the 8 bands? I know a lot of guys cut the lows and highs pretty much. But I don't really have a great grasp on boosting EQ.

@roodboy - Yes, I do need to get Axe-edit fixed. I learn well when I can see a few examples of prototypes that I like. I'd really just like to see what guys are doing when they are poking around in the advanced settings. I emailed FAS again to ask my question about total uninstall. Last time I asked, it just kind of went unanswered.

And guys, thanks again. I know that everybody has been here with the Axe at some point, and I know it's a huge learning curve I've got ahead of me. I guess the root of it is that I'm actually a fairly smart guy, and it sucks getting my ass totally handed to me by a black box that's about the size of a briefcase. HAHA!

I am running a Mac. I installed the application in my /applications. My workspace follows this path:

ashley/documents/fractal audio/workspace/AxeEdit

At this point, there is no folder or file that leads me to the settings file that I need to delete in order to make Axe-Edit work. Do I simply need to delete Axe-Edit and all of the AxeEdit files off of my hard drive? Thanks again.

I am running a Mac. I installed the application in my /applications. My workspace follows this path:

At this point, there is no folder or file that leads me to the settings file that I need to delete in order to make Axe-Edit work. Do I simply need to delete Axe-Edit and all of the AxeEdit files off of my hard drive? Thanks again.

Yes, uninstall the program, re-download it and re-install.

I am clueless on the Mac but in Windows it creates a settings file under:

C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit 1.0\Axe-Edit.settings

If I freeze up or get a corrupted patch I simply delete that file and don't need to do a reinstall. Again, I am not familiar with the Apple world but I would assume a complete uninstall and re-install will fix your issues if you cannot find the settings file.

Last edited:
One thing that helps when making a patch is not turning up the volume so that it can sound better. Also, start simple. Dead simple. Pick amp and cab. Make it sound good with just the amp drive, bass, mid, and treble controls and just selecting a cab of choice. Do not discriminate cabs, the weird ones are usually the dealbreakers. Now that is done, you can add a distortion pedal of choice at the front of the chain. Tight playing? Try drive 0 tone 10 technique. Adjust amp gain to taste. Now you can move to selecting a Mic or two. Royer 121/sm 57-58 is a common great choice. 121 for fatness, 57-58 for bite. Don't be afraid to experiment. Try other mics to see what sounds good to you. I've been in the same boat as you but trust me, it will all pay off. Just turn the knobs if you don't know what it does. It won't kill ya :)

Thanks again Craig. Seriously weird though. That file just simply does not exist on my computer. I've deleted everything Axe-Edit related and will re-install tomorrow. I've gotta' take a break and get some things in order for my morning. It's been a long day. I got CPR/first aid certified and then I came home and dug in for the afternoon with all this stuff. Blah! It'll get better though. I will get this yet! Never give up! Never!

My little tip:

Something that has helped me though tweaking is having 1 dedicated preset to save a new edit to. Since there is no "comparison" feature, this is my way around that. Then you can A/B without hindering what you've done and have been satisfied with to that point. I've been there and still am at times when I hear something in my head but have not quite made it there yet with the Axe. And let me re-iterate... take deep breathes- walk away and take a break. Definite words of wisdom here on this thread. You're a bright guy?... then you'll definitely see this all through.

Peace,

[/FONT said:
shemihazazel;564483]Make sure you give your ears about a 30 minute rest between tweak sessions, and rest frequently, so that you can come back with reasonably fresh ears. I've found this makes a huge difference for me.

shemihazazel is right. Apart from plain ear fatigue, one aspect that should always be taken into consideration when dealing with sounds is the different sensitivity of our hearing at different degrees of fatigue. A typical scenario being: you end up your sound session making certain statements about the sound you're getting - you wake up the next day and everything sound different (typically horrible LOL). This is because some frequencies are much more tiring to us than others, and towards the end of the session we start losing sensitivity to them (i.e., our central nervous system attenuates them to protect us): by contrast, the other frequencies (where we keep our sensitivity) sound stronger.
If there has been no ear damage, usually some hours of sonic rest are enough to take our sensitivity curve back to its normal values.

Furthermore, you have to be aware that ear's sensitivity is different at the different sound pressure levels: the higher the volume, the more we perceive low and high frequencies. The practical consequence of this physiology is that if you create a sound you like at a low volume, when you crank it up there will be lack of mids... or, if you want, too much lows and highs - and vice-versa. Typically, if lacking experience you'll have problems when making sounds at home (low volumes) and then playing on a stage.

Both these factors may have a strong influence, specially when starting from a situation of impotence/frustration.

How to behave then? When making sounds, work at the sonic levels you usually play at; and, if these levels are quite high, do not spend more than 5-10 consecutive minutes playing, specially if you're close to the loudspeakers.

HTH :)

Oh what I wouldn't give to be scared and frustrated with an Axe-FX II. Or spat upon by a Roman in the face. Bloody favoritism!

For just dialing tones... hang on a bit. Once 3.0 drops.... trust me, you won't be scared or afraid any more.... trust me.

I hope so Scott.

I've been very dissapointed with my results coming out of a couple Bose L1 towers. Don't get me wrong, the clean tones sound FANTASTIC but the dirty tones sound cheap and plasticy. Everyone says it's because of those towers. I still can't accept that because the fact is these towers are FRFR, and the upcoming 3.0 update.
While the Axe w/ the Bose L1's can sing like Angels, the beast is still shy, lol.

*Crosses fingers that this is the update!*

Last edited:
My worst experiences with the Axe-FX have involved Bose L1's.

They are a long way from what FRFR should be.

Where I am getting frustrated is not even having time to re-tweak at 2.0 before we get to 3.0.

At some point, Cliff needs to slow down with the epiphanies so I can at least catch up. :(

Back
Top Bottom