Satch Patch

simeon

Axe-Master
i know there's been a few of these floating around lately, but i thought i'd throw my hat in, as i just watched this - Joe Satriani's live setup revealed - YouTube - and got inspired. he seems like such a nice bloke, too!

this is loaded with annoying externals, as all my patches are...

ext 1 - volume pedal
ext 2 - wah/whammy pedal
ext 3 - 1986 switch (use on lead channel)
ext 4 - Em harmoniser (also drops level slightly, to prevent clipping)
ext 5 - clean / lead channel switch (also engages chorus and extra delay on the clean channel)
ext 6 - octave dist (use on lead channel)
ext 7 - wah / whammy switch (off = wah (auto engage), on = whammy)

if you have satch's pickups in your guitar, you will probably want to turn off the PEQ - that's there to emulate the massive 5.3k resonant peak his pickups have

nb, you can turn the externals on and off in I/O > midi by changing the default values from zero to 100

i'd love to hear someone do a tune with this, if you reckon it's any good

caveat - haven't tried this at gig volume yet!

no demo, cos i can't be arsed

get satchuratin!

Attachments

• Satch.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 724
Thanks! Yeah, all your externals are pretty advanced stuff. I'm not using a foot controller either, but it's not too hard to go in and manually adjust things.

Before, I've been going into each controller and set them to none. But you mean I can set all default values to 100, but won't every block be turned on then?
And can I then turn each block on and off in Axe Edit by doubleclicking if I set default to 100? Cause I tried that before but I had to set controller to none to be able to do that...

I'll check the patch(es) later tonight.8)

Thanks! Yeah, all your externals are pretty advanced stuff. I'm not using a foot controller either, but it's not too hard to go in and manually adjust things.

Before, I've been going into each controller and set them to none. But you mean I can set all default values to 100, but won't every block be turned on then?
And can I then turn each block on and off in Axe Edit by doubleclicking if I set default to 100? Cause I tried that before but I had to set controller to none to be able to do that...

I'll check the patch(es) later tonight.8)

suggestion......
in the event that some day in the future you end up with a floor controller and additional pedals / switches etc
maybe make a copy of this preset..
leave the original one as is [for future enjoyment]
strip out the modifiers of the copy so you can enjoy the preset right now...

cos if you had to put all that modifier stuff back in the future it would be bit of a pain in the rear...

ok don't turn all externals to 100, you still wont be able to turn them on and off in axe edit

do this

turn ext 1 to 100 - this will get you sound

the default condition for the patch is clean, so play on that for a bit

turn ext 5 to 100, this will switch "channel" and you can play lead
turn ext 6 to 100, this switches on the octave dist, jam on that for a bit and then turn it back to zero
turn ext 4 to 100, this turns on the 1986 switch, so play some stuff from "Not of this Earth" and turn it off again

rinse and repeat

if you have problems with the wah being on all the time, just delete it

sim

rinse and repeat
sim

Thanks for the patch. I changed the pitch shifter to a "custom shift" then specified (in global scales) the intervals for "why" off the extremist. Great fun to play with the lead settings in this patch!

If anyone is interested on what the custom values are: (could be erroneous - picked then by ear) Played in Em:

High guitarmony
A +2
A# +3
B +5
C +4
C# +3
D +5
D# +4
E +3
F +3
F# +5
G +4
G# +5

Low Guitarmony
A -5
A# -3
B -4
C -5
C# -3
D -3
D# -3
E -5
F -3
F# -4
G -3
G# -3

ok don't turn all externals to 100, you still wont be able to turn them on and off in axe edit

do this

turn ext 6 to 100, this switches on the octave dist, jam on that for a bit and then turn it back to zero
turn ext 4 to 100, this turns on the 1986 switch, so play some stuff from "Not of this Earth" and turn it off again

rinse and repeat

sim

Thanks so much. All your patches are excellent, but never downloaded many of them because of the external features that I never knew how to cope with for us that don't even have a MIDI Controller yet. Cheers! Can't wait to try this out, finally stopped making rhythm patches and started on my lead patches so this should be a great place to start.

P.S. yes he is a very nice dude, my teacher is good friends with him and he's really cool, friendly, funny, very nice.

Last edited:

do this

rinse and repeat

sim
Thanks ,I got excited to try ,only to find out I couldn't change anything,Will have to give it another go

why can I only get the clean amp to work?

see the first post

go to I/O > midi on the front panel and change "ext ctrl init value" from 0 to 100. this has the same effect as stepping on a switch attached to external 5

all the fx in the patch are attached to externals

isn't this a global setting? I have externals connected in my own patches, I don't wnt to mess up my stuff

If you have externals rigged up then just use them. You don't need to change anything. Just hit the switch that's connected to external 5 and you'll switch from clean to lead.

That orange guitar would look so good with black hardware minus HB rim...

Hey Joe - they make volume knobs with dots on them. Ask your tech!

Back
Top Bottom