Rush Documentary on Netflix

I am pretty sure that serendipity, coincidence, dumb luck, randomness (or whatever you want to call it) plays
a MASSIVE role in that kind of success. Science is even coming into play more and more in trying to define
how much of a role luck/chance plays in the success that maybe we attributed far too much to talent and
hard work. Even if both of those are necessary it seems that there is more to the equation than just those.

What's the old cliche, "Better to be lucky, than to be good." :)

I am pretty sure that serendipity, coincidence, dumb luck, randomness (or whatever you want to call it) plays
a MASSIVE role in that kind of success. Science is even coming into play more and more in trying to define
how much of a role luck/chance plays in the success that maybe we attributed far too much to talent and
hard work. Even if both of those are necessary it seems that there is more to the equation than just those.

Yessir! Best one can do is to create as much luck for yourself as u can by dedicated practice, hanging with the right crowd, and maximizing "at bats".

You've gotta have the talent, but there are many people who are insanely good at guitar, football, painting, acting, whatever, that it "didn't happen for" - they weren't at the right place and right time, they didn't happen to have the right friend, or they happened to get a concussion in high school and never went further. Or the starting quarterback broke his leg and gives you the opportunity you needed.

Look how many killer players there are in this little niche forum we hang out in here - and just about none of us have "made it." (not that everyone has tried, or that there's anything wrong with that). If one little thing had happened differently - maybe something in our control, maybe something totally outside it - you or I could have been one of the guys that everyone else talks about. Maybe if you'd gotten assigned to a different math class you would've met your Geddy... Maybe some record label guy happened to walk in to the club but your set had just ended and they missed you...

Has anyone seen the movie "Fisherman's Friends"? It's based on the true story of a record exec who gets pranked into trying to sign these Welsh shanty singers as a joke. They had no real interest of doing anything but singing in their seaside town but they ended up becoming popular due essentially to random luck.

There are no stories about all the people who didn't meet, or who did meet but didn't have the synergy, or the right agent, or the luck to have EVH as their brother... ;-)

The harder you work, the luckier you get!

Unfortunately... I'm sure that there are some title made for Italian broadcast that you can't see.... fortunately for you, you're not loosing anything spectacular :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Sorry man, at least in Italy, the following titles:
  • "beyond the lighted stage"
  • "come on children"
Maybe in your EU nation you're lucky too if that's the case I'm going to change mt post..
That's a bummer man! There has to be other ways to see it though, Bit Torrent maybe?

love the sequence in the Triumph doc noted above where the "trailer park boys" float the idea that Rush and Triumph were the same 3 guys cuz no one ever saw them all at the same time / place together lol!

Last edited:
The harder you work, the luckier you get!

Maybe so. The burgeoning science of luck is not pointing in that direction, though.

I for one am ready for some of our worn out cliches to be retired.

In a lot of ways the science is borrowing from evolution and how if their is a "fit"
between a creature, it's skills and traits, and an environment where that creature
is suited and a great "fit" then that creature (and the species it is a part of) will be
luckier in things like hunting, nesting, and procreating.

The big kicker is that if the creature and environment is not a good fit at all (lack
of resources, lack of prospective mates, etc.) then no matter how hard that creature
works it won't ever "get lucky." :)

You've gotta have the talent, but there are many people who are insanely good at guitar, football, painting, acting, whatever, that it "didn't happen for" - they weren't at the right place and right time, they didn't happen to have the right friend, or they happened to get a concussion in high school and never went further. Or the starting quarterback broke his leg and gives you the opportunity you needed.

Look how many killer players there are in this little niche forum we hang out in here - and just about none of us have "made it." (not that everyone has tried, or that there's anything wrong with that). If one little thing had happened differently - maybe something in our control, maybe something totally outside it - you or I could have been one of the guys that everyone else talks about. Maybe if you'd gotten assigned to a different math class you would've met your Geddy... Maybe some record label guy happened to walk in to the club but your set had just ended and they missed you...

Has anyone seen the movie "Fisherman's Friends"? It's based on the true story of a record exec who gets pranked into trying to sign these Welsh shanty singers as a joke. They had no real interest of doing anything but singing in their seaside town but they ended up becoming popular due essentially to random luck.

There are no stories about all the people who didn't meet, or who did meet but didn't have the synergy, or the right agent, or the luck to have EVH as their brother... ;-)

Bingo! Great post. It's those seemingly random occurrences that are that slight difference that seems to make
all the difference in the end. :)

The "just work" hard trope is only part of the story---and as the science progresses maybe we'll
discover that it is not even the best, or greatest, part of the story of success and.... er.... being lucky. :)

Maybe so. The burgeoning science of luck is not pointing in that direction, though.

I for one am ready for some of our worn out cliches to be retired.

In a lot of ways the science is borrowing from evolution and how if their is a "fit"
between a creature, it's skills and traits, and an environment where that creature
is suited and a great "fit" then that creature (and the species it is a part of) will be
luckier in things like hunting, nesting, and procreating.

The big kicker is that if the creature and environment is not a good fit at all (lack
of resources, lack of prospective mates, etc.) then no matter how hard that creature
works it won't ever "get lucky." :)

As a history teacher, I find this fascinating as I’m frequently thinking about causation and how we need to get away from oversimplification.

Can you recommend any specific reading on this topic that would be accessible to a non-scientist like me?

As a history teacher, I find this fascinating as I’m frequently thinking about causation and how we need to get away from oversimplification.

Can you recommend any specific reading on this topic that would be accessible to a non-scientist like me?

Thanks for being a teacher!! I can hardly think of a more noble profession than investing in future generations. :)

Not sure what grade/level you teach at, so I am not sure about getting too heady and nerding out, if you know
what I mean.

This is a fun and enlightening read. Not too theoretical and very historically accurate. If you are personally into
somethings a little headier let me know. I love books!!!! :)

1645206510694.png

This one is more in depth and involves an economics professor. Some people hate, because it merely
questions and calls into debate so many inherited assumptions about how "success" is achieved.

Beyond eye-opening, in my experience.

1645207377480.png

Just ordered Accidental Medical Discoveries. Thank you for the recommendations. I'm adding the others to my wish list. "Prog in written form" -- love the analogy!

Thanks for the kind words about teaching. When it goes well, it's one of the best feelings in the world, like playing guitar with a great tone and other musicians in the same groove.

Back
Top Bottom