Rush Documentary on Netflix

Stumbled on to this the other night and it’s really good. It’s from 2010. Netflix says it’s only available until 2/14, so if you haven’t seen it yet, check it out soon.
+1 - love this part (this is an expanded version from what's in the doc): Alex, long haired pimply faced teenager trying to explain to his parents that he wants to quit high school and just do music. Reminds me of my youth in the 70s - sitting at the dinner table, smoking like a chimney, telling my folks what's happening. In this expanded clip there's reference at the end to him having a son at this very early point in his life (grade 12 so he can't be more than 18 or so) - amazing he got to where he did given what seems a challenging youth.

Last edited:
What I want to know is how do you end up having multiple cameras and angles around your family's
dining room table.
this sequence was part of very old documentary like film called "come on children" which had nothing to do with Rush (cuz there was no Rush at that point - no albums yet anyway). It's a film made in and around Toronto area here in Canada documenting the lives of some somewhat troubled youth (Alex being one) who move out from home to a kind of communal farm house. The film is fairly painful to watch as it seems pretty amateurish and very dated (+ fairly depressing actually), but 60 years later if you're an avid Rush fan like me - it's fascinating seeing Alex Lifeson (Zivojinovich) at this early time - there's a great sequence of him in there hammering on that very recognizable 335 in the basement of that place - walls covered in egg crates as they often were in those days for "sound proofing". I'm guessing this was filmed around 71/72 (released 73) - first Rush Album was release in 74

Last edited:
this sequence was part of very old documentary like film called "come on children" which had nothing to do with Rush (cuz there was no Rush at that point - no albums yet anyway). It's a film made in and around Toronto area here in Canada documenting the lives of some somewhat troubled youth (Alex being one) who move out from home to a kind of communal farm house. The film is fairly painful to watch as it seems pretty amateurish and very dated (+ fairly depressing actually), but 60 years later if you're an avid Rush fan like me - it's fascinating seeing Alex Lifeson (Zivojinovich) at this early time - there's a great sequence of him in there hammering on that very recognizable 335 in the basement of that place - walls covered in egg crates as they often were in those days for "sound proofing". I'm guessing this was filmed around 71/72 (released 73) - first Rush Album was release in 74

Wow. Had no idea. From troubled youth to globally respected rock god.

"Come On Children" is as interesting to me as the Rush doc, and I enjoyed that one a lot. A bit painful to watch these days after the too-soon loss of Neil.

Alex admitted later in life that his dad was right and he should at least have finished high school.
yes - saw that too - despite what would normally be good advice from dad in most other cases, i'd say Alex had good instincts right from the beginning - a few years later he was well on his way - might not have happened had he gone back to school

of course hindsight is 20/20 - not easy for any kid/parent

Last edited:
Really, how is that even possible? I thought Netflix was Netflix no matter where in the world you were.
Unfortunately... I'm sure that there are some title made for Italian broadcast that you can't see.... fortunately for you, you're not loosing anything spectacular :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You are wrong
Sorry man, at least in Italy, the following titles:
  • "beyond the lighted stage"
  • "come on children"
Maybe in your EU nation you're lucky too if that's the case I'm going to change mt post..

yes - saw that too - despite what would normally be good advice from dad in most other cases, i'd say Alex had good instincts right from the beginning - a few years later he was well on his way - might not have happened had he gone back to school

Boy, but there are so many ways the talented young Alexander Zivojinovic could have not become the Alex Lifeson we know today. What if his junior high Jewish friend hadn't been so freakishly talented? What if they'd never hooked up with Neil? What if 2112 had flopped? What if a tour bus turned over on one of his bandmates?

So many talented hotshot players must have had that very same argument with their parents. What is Vito Bratta doing today? Danny Spitz? Reb Beach? Chris Impelliteri? Greg Howe? Tony Macalpine? TBH I don't know how many of them are still making a living playing astonishing electric guitar. But none had the good fortune to be Big Al AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom