Running a boost pedal in front of Axe Fx II (Clipping??)

indeloon85

Inspired
So I have an MXR MC402, the boost/overdrive combo pedal, and haven't used it in a long time. I used to use it a bunch in the front of my amp heads live a while back for boosting the signal (leads, etc) and the overdrive is just a little extra flavor if needed. Anyway, I pulled it out and put it in front of the Axe Fx II (XL to be exact) and noticed that the boost (+20 db max) is clipping the front end like crazy. The sound wasn't bad or anything, just more distorted as you would get if you were to place this thing in front of a regular tube amp.
So...is the visual clipping something to be wary of? My OD808 that I've used in front of it, doesn't clip the front, or that I've seen. Can I damage something by boosting the signal that high even though there is that "soft limit" that seems to be talked about?

Nothing will break. What you’ll likely want to do though is to turn down the input level. That way there’s headroom for your boost and when you adjust your amp to the level that it normally sees, the boost (with it’s increased signal strength) will increase the volume and drive the amp block harder. Which is probably what you want to achieve.

You won't hurt anything, if you don't hear horrible clipping (A/D converters clipping), the the soft limiter is doing its job. It does add its own distortion when pushed hard.

Why not put it in the loop, place that first in your signal chain and then adjust the loop volume?

Why not put it in the loop, place that first in your signal chain and then adjust the loop volume?

The loop does not have a soft limiter, it is really easy for a drive to clip the A/D converters. The front handles drive pedals much better.

I always use dirt pedals in front of the Axe II. Takes it just like an amp. More tones...more choices.

Back
Top Bottom