Routing, parallel signal processing, and noise gate capabilities of the FM9 for External Big Muffs

Currently debating between on some external Fuzz pedals - Ram’s Head Big Muff Pi or Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi, and it got me wondering about the routing, parallel signal processing, and noise gate capabilities of the FM9.

The Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff has attractive features like the blend knob (dry/wet), mid boost, tone wick (high-frequency filters) etc. Would there be a way to accomplish similar features in the FM9 if I opted for the external Ram's Head instead? Also, how well does the FM9 noise gate work for the noisier fuzz pedals like the Ram's Head?

I don't own an FM9 yet, but I'm just an overthinker trying to plan out current purchases for when that time comes (come on stock or new MK II model)

Last edited:
Do you mean that you want to use a separate drive pedal with the FM9, but somehow have mix and filter effects that you can use with the external pedal?

Do you mean that you want to use a separate drive pedal with the FM9, but somehow have mix and filter effects that you can use with the external pedal?
Yes, I want to know if I opt for the more simplified and classic external Big Muff Pedals, could I accomplish some of the Deluxe Big Muff features through a patch / scene for when I'm using the external pedal?

[Updating my original post to say external]

You can route in series or parallel, in whatever combination you can fit into the six-row layout grid. You can do that with external pedals, too. As an example, here's one of the more complex factory presets. As you can see, there's still plenty of room for additional complexity.

1706691290023.png

With the FM9, you get four Graphic EQ blocks, four Parametric EQ blocks, and four Filter blocks, and you can place them anywhere in the grid. And there are about a zillion places where you can set levels. You should have no problem replicating the Big Muff's blend, mid-boost and tone-suck features.

You can route in series or parallel, in whatever combination you can fit into the six-row layout grid. You can do that with external pedals, too. As an example, here's one of the more complex factory presets. As you can see, there's still plenty of room for additional complexity.

View attachment 134170

With the FM9, you get four Graphic EQ blocks, four Parametric EQ blocks, and four Filter blocks, and you can place them anywhere in the grid. And there are about a zillion places where you can set levels. You should have no problem replicating the Big Muff's blend, mid-boost and tone-suck features.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom