Rounded or Pointy Pick Tip? Flexy or Stiff Pick?

Thanks for the recommendation. Am I correct based on the product description that they don't flex at all? That's my personal preference. I'm looking at getting 3 of the TAD-1R type, 40/50/60, so I have three different point types to play with.
They are very stiff compared materials like nylon, tortex or ultex. I have the CT55 for acoustic and the IBJ55 for electric. I wouldn't get the TAD-style picks for electric. Due to their size, the transfer a lot more energy into the strings than other picks. I find that using a smaller pick for electric translates my technique better.

I wouldn't get the TAD-style picks for electric. Due to their size, the transfer a lot more energy into the strings than other picks.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a pretty heavy-handed player. Having a pick that will do most of that work for me is actually ideal.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a pretty heavy-handed player. Having a pick that will do most of that work for me is actually ideal.
If that's what you want, go ahead. I'm quite heavy handed myself, and I whack the strings less out of tune with the jazz style IBJ55. And ultimately, I don't break them every five minutes anymore :tearsofjoy:

Well, lol, I can play the intro to Barracuda better with a thin pick:
Herco Flex 50 .65mm

What is that- alternate picking two strings at once?!

I switch picks depending on the guitar, and my mood. Darker guitars, standard tortex blues. Brighter guitars, something thicker with a lot of bevel, like the V-picks screamer. If I'm looking for more chime and attack, the Herdim blue pick held backwards, like the Edge.

After years of dicking around with all sorts of different picks (and spending lots of money on boutique options), I settled on Standard Fender Heavy's for Electric, and Mediums for Acoustic. Why fight it.

(The only quirk I have is that the logo MUST be pointed up towards my head...the beveling works better that way for me.)
D’Andrea makes a medium-heavy pick which complements the tone between medium and heavy.
I own one old Fender medium heavy pick...I have never been able to find them anywhere...must not have made too many...

Ugh the rabbit hole. I prefer pointier than rounded but not so pointed that it's like playing with a dagger. Blue Chip was my favorite boutique but a little rounder than I prefer. Love stainless which are also a little rounder than I prefer but I don't change my strings as frequently as used to so the chew factor becomes an issue. Currently using Pickboy Metacarbonates as a good balance for pointy/strength. The re-issues are a little firmer than the standard offering which I like but tend to stick with standards just because readily available. Must confess though they discontinued my favorite color so bought what I hope will cover me because it just sounds better 😂

Rounded. Been using Tortex .60 for years for clean playing, I can do more intricate and expressive stuff with these thinner picks. The only real downside being that I can burn through a pick sometimes, in just a couple of hours, so they don‘t last long.

Back in the day I liked the thicker picks for the fast and furious stuff. Thicker picks worked so-much better for that 80’s hair stuff. Darker sounding, ...and the strings move out of their way a whole-lot easier.. I still keep a thicker pick around, which still works well for those distorted and darker tones. But I’ll usually use a modded orange Tortex pick. I play clean mostly, these days.

Rounded. Been using Tortex .60 for years for clean playing, I can do more intricate and expressive stuff with these thinner picks. The only real downside being that I can burn through a pick sometimes, in just a couple of hours, so they don‘t last long.

Back in the day I liked the thicker picks for the fast and furious stuff. Thicker picks worked so-much better for that 80’s hair stuff. Darker sounding, ...and the strings move out of their way a whole-lot easier.. I still keep a thicker pick around, which still works well for those distorted and darker tones. But I’ll usually use a modded orange Tortex pick. I play clean mostly, these days.
A couple of hours for a pick isn't all that bad. I burn through a celluloid pick in 3 songs tops.

As many different picks as I've tried over the years, I always come back to Fender Mediums or equivalent. I do like it even more when they start to wear down and get more rounded...

Same here. It's a good thing I like them because I received a 500 pack of medium picks with my last name on them as a gift. I'm set for life.
Also the freebies you get with music store orders are usually the equivalent to the Fender mediums.

Just got a couple of the Chicken Picks Shredders today, gonna compare them to the Petrucci Flows and see what I think. They are much smaller which will be an adjustment.

Never thought I'd say it as I was a "thick picks are snake oil" but.... 3.5mm, beveled edge, soft point, Chickenpicks Shredder. Absolutely the most comfortable pick I've used for electric guitar.

@JoKeR III

Got my ChickenPicks starter set, I see the appeal! Only spent about 30 min with them today, they feel real good right off the bat.
I don't see myself using them as my daily driver, but different guitar , different styles. See myself going for them from time to time.
They feel good but also sound good.

On a different note. A little surprised nobody has mentioned Red Bear picks.

I use one pick for practice, another for playing live. My preference for live is definitely the Dunlop 1.5mm Flows.

One of my favorite picks is the V-Pick Screamer.
V Picks are some of my favorites. They make a wide variety of pointy, rounded & textured picks. The textured picks add some nice top end if your instrument is lacking some brightness.

Back
Top Bottom