Room sounds and Tortured Cab sounds

Hi all, just following on from Room Sound IRs, what I really strive for is that sound of the cab absolutely vibrating itself half to death. You've all heard Hendrix playing live, either in a studio or at Woodstock or somewhere....I can almost feel the glue starting to give up on the joints in the cab on some of those recordings.....that's the sound I want.
If you listen to The Fly by U2, you hear it in the AC30 ( I used to have a 1969 AC30..)

I can get some way towards it with the room setting in the cab block, which works well, but I've not yet got that feeling of a cab at full throttle, with that sort of woody tone, really pushing and shuddering.
Know what I mean?

I work for an excellent PA Company and we sometimes get together for a jam in the warehouse and I can use any amount of top notch PA gear, but still I haven't heard that woody resonant shuddering of a cab bellowing at the top of it's lungs....

What do I need to do? Is it an IR thing or an Amp thing or a Reverb thing or a Other thing....
Is it me, or do most IRs seem a bit too "polite"?
Or, do you really need actual air moving and a vibrating wooden cabinet to get that sound?

BTW way, I've never been so inspired to play guitar than I have been by my Axe-FX, it's brilliant.

Simon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom