Rookie Nurse

I would have bailed out. I can’t do needles. Last time I had blood taken I had to have my ex-wife come hold my hand and I’m not even joking, nor do I give a shit how unmanly that makes me. I get so weak in the knees I can barely stand. It’s not even the sight of blood or anything, it’s the damn needle piercing my skin and entering a vein that freaks me the f out.
We gave blood my senior year of HS, and they first drew from my ear into this really tiny tube (can't remember what that was for), and she dropped it on the floor where it broke. It was only a very small amount of blood, but I looked at it, and passed right out.

So to this day, I just look away when they need to poke me. Been fine ever since.

Only three?
You are lucky - I had some broken ribs and bruised heart a few years ago which saw me in hospital, and I'll never forget the incompetent nurse who tried to get a line into my arm - I stopped counting at 8 tries... blood was everywhere, and she still didn't get it in... Then she freaked out, called another nurse, who got it in one. I sympathise with your plight - It's not fun when incompetence of others makes you bleed!

Thanks
Pauly

Had my decennial colonoscopy yesterday. They assigned me a nurse who was obviously a new hire. She's lucky she doesn't have a black eye now.

Three times she tried to get the IV in my arm and failed miserably each time. Finally the anesthesiologist took over and did it first try.

When I was in nuclear medicine tech school we practiced on each other, early 20 something’s with great skin and muscle tone, well hydrated, you name it. Pretty easy and ideal veins basically

Then you get in the real world and you got a 90 year old who’s skin is like tissue paper, veins are impossible to find et al., night and day different!

Not to say Cliff has the vein of a 90 year old but just that it’s a lot different learning on the fake dummies, and then classmates and then moving to real patients

You have to wonder if it's the nurse's fault or could it be the supervisor's or the hospital? Inexperienced underqualified people seem to be put into places where they shouldn't be much too often nowadays. We all need money to survive but what happened to having a little pride in what you do?

All the nurses that knew how to tap a vein are pretty much gone. My arm vein is not easy to find and the young techs can’t ever find it. I use to immediately say get the oldest nurse here and she would come in and nail it first try. Now it’s all kids. I become a pin cushion. If it’s just a blood draw I make them use my hand with butterfly needle.

I often say they need to hire junkies to come in and take blood. I never knew a junkie that couldn’t hit a vein anywhere, anytime and in the dark.

Had my decennial colonoscopy yesterday. They assigned me a nurse who was obviously a new hire. She's lucky she doesn't have a black eye now.

Three times she tried to get the IV in my arm and failed miserably each time. Finally the anesthesiologist took over and did it first try.
rookies gonna rookie. Once had a gash across my hand and the stitches were falling apart as I walked out the hospital

My daughter teaches nursing. Also, COVID was hell so I have nothing but respect for nurses. With that being said, I have my own horror story.

When I was a college freshman, I needed money so I went to a clinic where they buy your white blood cells. The take out the whole blood, run it through a centrifuge, and then put the red blood cells back in. They paid about $25 as I recall. Anyway, when they jabbed me to return my red blood cells, they missed the vein. We didn't notice at the time, so the "nurse" walked away and left a hanging bag of red blood cells to slowly drip back into me. My arm started to swell-up to twice its normal size as the red blood cells lodged themselves in a void under my skin. I was already lightheaded and I remember it being a real nightmare trying to get some follow-up attention. Terrible experience -- that's when I turned to prostitution to pick-up a few extra bucks <kidding>.

RN here. Some veins just suck. Starting an IV is not among a favorite skill of mine and nurses don't delight in not getting a good stick upon first try.

Nurse: "I need to give you a little stick."
Patient: "I hate needles!"
But the MF'er has tattoos all over him...

Last edited:
We gave blood my senior year of HS, and they first drew from my ear into this really tiny tube (can't remember what that was for), and she dropped it on the floor where it broke. It was only a very small amount of blood, but I looked at it, and passed right out.

So to this day, I just look away when they need to poke me. Been fine ever since.

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

Your ear?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That sounds all too familiar. I don't freak out at all, but I do (sometimes) pass out. Might not be the same, but in my case, my doctor explained many years ago that it is vasovagal syncope. As per Google: Vasovagal syncope occurs when a vagus nerve to your heart overreacts to certain situations like extreme heat, anxiety, hunger, pain or stress. Blood pressure drops very quickly (orthostatic hypotension), making you feel dizzy or faint.

That’s interesting and sounds very likely!!!

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

Your ear?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Yeah. From what I remember, they did an initial draw from the earlobe directly into this teeny little test tube..., I think she said it was for typing the blood? Don't ask me why they couldn't just take a sample from the blood drawn from the arm, because I didn't make it that far, and wasn't allowed to give blood. :tearsofjoy:

Likely on purpose. Hospitals are full of sadistic people that have to be vetted. Run a mini dark triad-ish interview. If they seem cold request a new nurse. Especially if that’s coupled with dunce.
Whatever you have, N-acetyl cysteine will likely fix that, in addition to adding years. It’s basically good for everything. My pops been fixed by it completely so he can yell and swear at me some more years for putting in the next car stereo system.
This isn’t medical advice and no full guarantees but this is a 99.9 percent guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom