Rookie Nurse

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Had my decennial colonoscopy yesterday. They assigned me a nurse who was obviously a new hire. She's lucky she doesn't have a black eye now.

Three times she tried to get the IV in my arm and failed miserably each time. Finally the anesthesiologist took over and did it first try.

Had my decennial colonoscopy yesterday. They assigned me a nurse who was obviously a new hire. She's lucky she doesn't have a black eye now.

Three times she tried to get the IV in my arm and failed miserably each time. Finally the anesthesiologist took over and did it first try.

A loss of competency is epidemic these days… I’ve had my experiences with novice phlebotomists lately just like you.

Really starts to piss me off after a few pokes and digging around.

😖

My wife is a nurse and says some have the gift and others simply do not, no matter how often they practice. The ones that don’t have the gift of starting IV’s probably shouldn’t be working in pre-op where they’ll be starting IV’s all day though. They should be school nurses lol.

A loss of competency is epidemic these days… I’ve had my experiences with novice phlebotomists lately just like you.

Really starts to piss me off after a few pokes and digging around.

😖
Not to minimize your experiences, but I’m about to graduate nursing school and in my state, they are not allowed to teach you blood draws or how to start IVs during school. You don’t start learning until you’re on the job which stinks for all parties involved.

Sorry for your troubles, but this sounds like maybe the persons hand and arm were too tired from searching through thousands of kemper profiles? Just a guess 😂😂

You would think that drawing blood is a skill that should be certified and signed off before someone graduates school

Haircutters have to do this.

You would think that drawing blood is a skill that should be certified and signed off before someone graduates school

Haircutters have to do this.
Yes and that is something my professors would even agree with but even they don’t make the rules. I work in an emergency department as a patient tech, and luckily ER techs learn how to draw blood so I’m grateful for that. It’s a tricky skill that requires a ton of reps like anything else. It also requires communicating with the patient if you fail a first time, “hey do you mind if I try again?” Or “do you want me to get someone more experienced?” Things along those lines

Did she at least give you an unsolicited opinion on how she'd do dynacabs if it was her company? :grin:

Had a colonoscopy last year, but the advanced care nurse messed up the prep instructions (changed some prep meds 4 days prior to the procedure, the new prep meds required a 2-week advance prep regimen.). Long story short, the attending physician couldn't get clear imaging because the prep was inadequate.

The attending nurses, however, were wonderful. The IV nurse did a great job with the IV.

My only lament was to the attending physician...I suggested that "while she was on vacation in the Bermuda Triangle, don't mistakenly lose any luggage while she was there..."

Obvious profiler user!!!???

Seriously, my daughter went to school for phlebotomy and was great in training, even with a newborn. Many she trained with inflicted mucho torture on people and they just couldn't get it.

Just had that done myself luckily I had a nurse that used to work in pediatrics man never even felt it. But i have had those that fish around not so cool.

Back
Top Bottom