Rig/rack/amp stand

moffar

Hello folks!

I'm on the lookout for either a rig-, a rack- or an amp stand, whatever one would call it. Something to help me put my rig way up in the air, to prevent me from bending down every time I need to turn a knob/press a button on my Axe while playing upright.

I'm using a "SKB R8W Roller Rack" at the moment, but will soon be converting to two (fully loaded) 4U's wooden shock/flight racks (any recommendations there?). Thing is, I'll need something that's able to carry that amount of weight, while at the same time rest my gear starting at a height of 140cm/55" (yes, I'm tall). Preferably also with the ability to be level, and not only at a certain degree.

Do any of you use anything similar or have anything like this in mind?

I hope I've made myself clear enough, and will really appreciate any help received.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Bass rig.jpg
    Bass rig.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 53
I used this too for my bass rig. Strong enough, but not quite as flexible on the leveling as you would like...
I adjusted the "pads" on the to align better with the feet on my rack.

Also, to be fair, part of your issue seems to be that you are wedging a large cabinet underneath...

I adjusted the "pads" on the to align better with the feet on my rack.

Also, to be fair, part of your issue seems to be that you are wedging a large cabinet underneath...

Oops- I was referring to the adjustments for each leg. They can each be adjusted by the inch or two that each hole provides. I (probably wrongly) assumed the OP wanted to have minute adjustments of each leg. But yep- you're spot on: I also adjust the "pads" on the top, and my rack is absolutely flat and very sturdy and stable. I never even worry about it tipping- I even hang my bass on a rack mount guitar hanger- and it doesn't go anywhere!

Oops- I was referring to the adjustments for each leg. They can each be adjusted by the inch or two that each hole provides. I (probably wrongly) assumed the OP wanted to have minute adjustments of each leg. But yep- you're spot on: I also adjust the "pads" on the top, and my rack is absolutely flat and very sturdy and stable. I never even worry about it tipping- I even hang my bass on a rack mount guitar hanger- and it doesn't go anywhere!
I got you... Personally adjusting it to be anything other than level doesn't make a lot of sense to me for this stand.

Thank you so much, @unix-guy and @406Ryan for your inputs.

Well, if it wasn't for the height issue, I'd buy the Quik Lok in a heartbeat. It sure looks like a great product.

Anyway, I delved further into the world of stands and as for my purposes, I'm leaning towards the DIY. I've come across a kind of an electrogalvanized modular stand system (or whatever it's called), with, you could say, almost endless possibilities. See picture below. So, I reckon I'll just build my own stand to get it just the way that I want it.

While we're at rack mount guitar hangers, I saw your post, @unix-guy, regarding wallacher.com's rack mount guitar hanger. This product would suit me perfectly if I go ahead with the above-mentioned. But I can't seem to place an order. Do you know if they're still in business? I'd really loved to have two of these.

Attachments

• 5479.jpg
    5479.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 27
I've also been using the WS-540 for years. It's road-proof, and I love it. Looking at mine, I wondered if you could pop off the feet, get a length of square section tubing and weld it to each leg, and put the feet back on. A little DIY, but not too much. The stand seems tough enough to handle it, though I don't know it would have the stability it does now another foot and a half off the ground.

If I understand correctly, you want to mount two loaded 4RU shock racks almost five feet in the air. I hope stability isn't high on your list of priorities. :)

Indeed I do, @Rex, and I know it's a long shot but I truly believe that with some stabilizers and plywood, I'm able to pull this one off. But any other suggestions are more than welcome.

While we're at rack mount guitar hangers, I saw your post, @unix-guy, regarding wallacher.com's rack mount guitar hanger. This product would suit me perfectly if I go ahead with the above-mentioned. But I can't seem to place an order. Do you know if they're still in business? I'd really loved to have two of these.

I haven't had mine too long, so I assume they are.

You could try sending them an email...

Indeed I do, @Rex, and I know it's a long shot but I truly believe that with some stabilizers and plywood, I'm able to pull this one off. But any other suggestions are more than welcome.
I think stability will require a base that extends well beyond the footprint of the rack. Otherwise you'll be wearing your rack as a hat. :) And that means new trip points.

The top of your rack will be about seven feet off the stage.

Last edited:
I haven't had mine too long, so I assume they are.

You could try sending them an email...
I tried that too, @unix-guy.

First of all, the message I get when being directed to the PayPal checkout is: "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later." This has been going on for days.
Secondly, when trying to email them: "Message can't be delivered. Please try again." This too has happened several times.
Do you know of any other retailers carrying this item?

I've also read somewhere else that the plastic mount wasn't quite up to par. That it cracked very early on. Have you experienced anything similar?

I think stability will require a base that extends well beyond the footprint of the rack. Otherwise you'll be wearing your rack as a hat. :) And that means new trip points.

The top of your rack will be about over seven feet of the stage.
Haha, correct, @Rex. ;) I'm guessing this'll just be a case of trial and error.
Creds to you for your concern but I've made up my mind, and I "have" to do this now. I can always lower the stand if it seems to fail me.
I'll post some pictures when I've built this thingy. I'll just have to find a retailer near my town now.

Creds to you for your concern but I've made up my mind, and I "have" to do this now. I can always lower the stand if it seems to fail me.
I'll post some pictures when I've built this thingy. I'll just have to find a retailer near my town now.
Do what you must, my brother. I'm eager to see what you come up with. Do be careful, though.It's easy to underestimate the power behind an accidental bump on stage, and 8U of loaded shock rack can do a lot of damage on its way to meet the floor.

Do what you must, my brother. I'm eager to see what you come up with. Do be careful, though.It's easy to underestimate the power behind an accidental bump on stage, and 8U of loaded shock rack can do a lot of damage on its way to meet the floor.
Cheers, @Rex! There won't be anything else on my mind when building this. I'll be careful. Have a good one. :)

Reactions: Rex
I tried that too, @unix-guy.

First of all, the message I get when being directed to the PayPal checkout is: "Things don't appear to be working at the moment. Please try again later." This has been going on for days.
Secondly, when trying to email them: "Message can't be delivered. Please try again." This too has happened several times.
Do you know of any other retailers carrying this item?

I've also read somewhere else that the plastic mount wasn't quite up to par. That it cracked very early on. Have you experienced anything similar?
Sounds like something may be broken with his web and/or email server.

I emailed him after I bought mine... john@wallacher.com. Maybe try that address if that isn't what you used?

So far, they seem pretty durable to me. No cracking, warping, etc.

I think that "plastic" is really a fairly strong "nylon" material, but I am not sure.

To my knowledge, they are only available direct. Maybe he sells on eBay, too?

Sounds like something may be broken with his web and/or email server.

I emailed him after I bought mine... john@wallacher.com. Maybe try that address if that isn't what you used?

So far, they seem pretty durable to me. No cracking, warping, etc.

I think that "plastic" is really a fairly strong "nylon" material, but I am not sure.

To my knowledge, they are only available direct. Maybe he sells on eBay, too?
It sure does.

I used the email info@wallacher.com, found on his website as I wasn't aware of his other email.
Thanks for clarifying my doubts regarding the durability. I'll order and give it a go.

Appreciate all your help, @unix-guy!

Back
Top Bottom