Riff Station(This is damn cool)

This is fking spades.

Transcription is an essential musical skill.
I meet loads of musicians with absolutely HORRENDOUS ears.

Spend the time learning to properly transcribe and software like this is utterly pointless.

No offence to the developer but honestly if you want to be a better guitarist then you will put the work in to acquire the skills rather than rely on software such as this.

I agree that developing your ears is very important. I'm old school (old). Back in the 70's there were no tabs, no internet and no authentic guitar transcriptions. We guitar players would half-speed our record players (old record players had that feature) to learn fast passages. Because it was analogue, everything dropped an octave in pitch. Picture yourself lifting a needle, trying to find the right groove on a spinning disk, placing the needle on the disc, trying not to scratch the record, lifting the needle off the record being careful not to scratch the record, holding that phrase in your head, transposing it an octave up, and repeating the process over and over again. I've got to say this modern software is wonderful. It can be used as a tool, to help develop your ear.

I agree that developing your ears is very important. I'm old school (old). Back in the 70's there were no tabs, no internet and no authentic guitar transcriptions. We guitar players would half-speed our record players (old record players had that feature) to learn fast passages. Because it was analogue, everything dropped an octave in pitch. Picture yourself lifting a needle, trying to find the right groove on a spinning disk, placing the needle on the disc, trying not to scratch the record, lifting the needle off the record being careful not to scratch the record, holding that phrase in your head, transposing it an octave up, and repeating the process over and over again. I've got to say this modern software is wonderful. It can be used as a tool, to help develop your ear.

Ahh, the old days of lifting the needle over and over again to build up association memory (the last few notes cue your memory for the upcoming notes, etc.) to learn every note of Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton, Steely Dan, Kansas, Zepplin and Al DiMeola solos. Transcribing thousands of notes for each tune by ear ... that'll build up yer ear in a hurry :lol

Another tool to develop your improvisational ear is the radio/YouTube/Pandora. After you build up your ears and technique by copying the solos of your heros and heroines you will want to build up your improvisation ear. One way to do that is to dial up tunes that you never heard before on the radio/YouTube/Pandora and improvise over the top (don't listen to the song first and - when you finish a song - just move to the next song). Try to "hear and visualize" where the common tones are across the chord changes. Really pays off when you are doing simultaneous improvisations (both players improvising at the same time) in a guitar-keyboard duet setting.

Last edited:
I use my good old trusty JamVox....does anything Riffstation can do & so much more.

I wish I could get Axe II level amps/effects inside an all in one solution like JamVox.

Riffstation has been an invaluable tool for me. Today, it started asking for my email and activation code (which I have), but the activation throws an error and will not complete. The application is no longer working (UGH). Any other users having this issue. If the program is now defunct, what are other good alternatives?

Riffstation has been an invaluable tool for me. Today, it started asking for my email and activation code (which I have), but the activation throws an error and will not complete. The application is no longer working (UGH). Any other users having this issue. If the program is now defunct, what are other good alternatives?
Have you tried contacting the developer?

Back
Top Bottom