Riff Station(This is damn cool)

Yep, I just bought this two weeks ago. It does things that I have never seen another app do before, with it's filtering. I love it, and use this instead of Capo now.

Did the trail back in Nov. Bought it in January. It isn't perfect, but pretty darn good. I use it when trying to pick out solo riffs in more complex songs. Slowing it down and filtering the freq helps a lot. I also use it
when chording out a song. It is probably 75% accurate in auto-finding the chords.

When learning a bunch of new tunes I normally pull them all into Reaper and use a pitch plugin to match the target key. But for a song with complex riffs and/or no published chord sheet I go to Riffstation. Well worth the $52.

Very impressed by the feedback.
But my friend said that his music teacher recommended strongly not to buy this,since it may well make the ear training a lazy process and a person
would feel complacent on the ear training front.
But it is very cool I must say.

Very impressed by the feedback.
But my friend said that his music teacher recommended strongly not to buy this,since it may well make the ear training a lazy process and a person
would feel complacent on the ear training front.
But it is very cool I must say.

Yes. You should probably still use your ears, but have you tried learning Van Halen's Jump solo by ear?
Software can help to slow down incredibly fast music so you are actually able to use your ears instead of relying on tabs. You can hear every slide, bend or vibrato and individual timing of any guitarist much more acurate.
I don't think it will stop you from learning to hear intervals if you want to.

The program does a good job in slowing down. Only two I've seen deliver that quality so far are "amazing slowdowner" and "transcribe!", which I am using quite happily.

wow....very cool. I used to use a simlpe slow down tool (Amazing Slow Downer) for most of this. But, this one has all that and much more! Worth a looksie ;) Thanks for sharing!

Yea I found that awhile back and compared to capo and transcribe (which I have both) the filter on riff station is cool but I still think transcribe sounds the best for slowing down

Just read your review, you are spot on with the pros and cons. It's a tool, it has its hits and misses for sure, but right now it's my tool of choice. I have to learn a lot of songs annually so this will definitely speed up the process for me. I use capo, this tool, Amadeus pro and transcribe. Shoot Ill use anything that I can find if it speeds up,the process of learning songs. I pride myself on a detailed performance, and these tools get me there.

It's cool I've tried it, but JamVox for Mac/PC slows down tunes with the same quality, can filter out instruments, tune guitar, record,loop,metronome, has built in amps & effects, and also does auto patch changes. It's the best all in one practice solution.

Anytune Pro+ is great on the iPad/iPhone for importing songs,slowing down & looping. Great quality app!

The program does a good job in slowing down. Only two I've seen deliver that quality so far are "amazing slowdowner" and "transcribe!", which I am using quite happily.

I think ASD's slowdown sounds better than Transcribe or Riffstation. And one thing it can do--remove center leaving a stereo result, unlike Transcribe--it does better than Riffstation, which gives a phaser-like sound. The Riffstation mute/isolate tool is still pretty cool overall. I might buy RS but would probably end up using it far less than ASD.

Note if trying ASD: use slowdown type 3 and make sure "slow down quality" is set to 3 in the preferences menu. I can't remember if they both default to 1, but anything other than 3 for both sounds worse on everything I've tested. Quality = 1 sounds about the same as Riffstation to me. (The help file says slowdown Type 4 has the best quality, but I haven't found that to be true for anything. Worse than 3, especially around 75% speed & below.)

I saw that this thing can remove guitar on a mp3. How can you make it a new backing track without the guitar? (a new mp3)

Sorry but have to disagree with you Willowdale. I have Jamvox and Riffstation. I was so disappointed with Jamvox that I ate the cost and removed it from my system. Some players may like it ok. For me I find Riffstation much more useful for the purpose and not bloated with too much stuff. The big killer of Jamvox for some people will be that it will not run at all if your system is not connected to the internet. I have a home studio system that I use for practice. It does not touch the internet for security reasons. Couldn't use Jamvox there. Went early to a venue. Took my laptop to practice through the songs before the gig. No internet access. I'm SOL again because of Jamvox's internet dependency. That screwed the pooch for me. The internet should be a choice not a dependency for something I paid green dollars for to work. Chaps my b%tt just thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom